Geocaching.com --> Topo Zone Link Problem!?!?

Guest JIntorcio

Guest JIntorcio

Hey!

I think there's a problem with the topo map links on the cache detail pages within Geocaching.com. In short, Geocaching.com passes coordinates relative to the WGS-84 datum but TopoZone.com expects them using the NAD27 datum.

The resulting error is small ? but can be significant. I noticed this looking at the map that results from our Salem Pond geocache. If you click the ?Topo Zone? link on that page, you?ll see a map that places the cache in the water. If instead you convert the coordinates to the NAD27 reference (you can use the converter referenced at the top of the page) and then feed the results into Topo Zone, you get a map where ?X? properly marks the spot on the island!

Can this be fixed? confused.gif

Guest cache_ninja

yup yup, this has been well known for awhile...people have been working on something/fix. not sure if there are any resuts yet. as is, topozone is best for getting a general idea of the area. once people are there gps will lead them to the right spot anyway...

c/n

Guest JIntorcio

Well known to whom?

But seriously, perhaps a note near the link like "approximate location" or something would save fools like me from re-checking their coordinates umpteen times to try to avoid sending cache hunters into the drink?!??!?

Guest cache_ninja

i meant people have pointed it out quite often, if you scroll through the forum youll find it, and jeremy and/or others were working on something. i agree a little note would be nice, i think its been suggested before, jeremy is doing a zillion things at once etc...what i've done, in the past if it the map looks like its in the water, and it isnt, i just put a note in cache listing i.e. "its not in the water"...also, the AVERAGE age of most maps on topozone is 18 years, so if you cache is near water, theres a good chance things look different now than they did at the time of the survey etc. regardless of NAD/WGS84 issues...

c/n