Is Geocaching still about community?

xyzabc

First of all, welcome to geocaching Rex_Gordon.

I have been geocaching for about two years. Almost all of the finds I have done have been by myself. I have gone out with a few other geocachers in the area and have had a lot of fun. I have met several more while looking for a cache. We also do pizza get-togethers several times a year. It is a good time to meet the other geocachers in person and be able to talk about receint finds, cache ideas and show off new GPSr's, PDAs or other toys, show off new signature items, and trade travel bugs or send one off with an out of town geocacher. Overall, the geocachers that I have met are really great people. Most of them are completely willing to help with cache hints, and some are willing to help with others getting stuck in mud/snow or whatever. I have given several people my cell phone number in case they ever need some help out in the woods (if they can get a signal). I have had some call me while they were looking for a cache wanting a clue where to look if they are having problems finding it. Overall it seems to me that geocaching is about community and helping each other when we can. We're always glad to have new people start and we're willing to help them with any questions they have.

I also usually carry with me a bunch of pencils, zip lock bags, large black plastic trash bags (we are well known <infamous maybe?> for hiding caches in Rubbermaid containers in large heavy-duty black plastic bags if they aren't in an ammo box) and other assorted cache goodies for reapirs or restocking. Others have just replaced the cache if they found it missing or damaged beyond repair.

So, yes geocaching is still about community.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by Trofeo:

Rex_Gordon = TJWilson

Geeez, I'm glad I wasn't the first one to have to say something. I saw that one a mile away. icon_smile.gif

Welcome back icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Geocachers socially challenged? I dunno about that. Let's see, one regular poster to these forums mentioned he was visiting NYC this weekend. A cacher from NYC offered to take him caching. A cacher From CT came down, picking up another cacher in NY state along the way. Myself? I just went too, and picked up another cacher who needed a ride. That cacher happened to live 1 hr SW of me, and NYC is 30 minutes NE of me. Oh, and I've done those caches already. So I drove about 5hrs total just to walk around Central Park with 8 other cachers from 4 states for a few hrs and have a cheeseburger for dinner(Thanks again, Planet!).

Sounds like these socially challenged geocachers from the forums are a pretty social lot!

+ _Tea-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Hey Mopar, why don't you come caching in MI and see the warm response you get. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that will want to cache with you. I don't know that you would make it back to NJ though. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

are you trying from work or home? I know some work places block the IRC ports which would cause that problem.??

migo_sig_logo.jpg

At least for me, geocaching is not about community. Its about wandering about and finding a box in the woods. The forums, however, are mainly about community.

Sometimes, people can be a little short with newbies, but generally there are very few rude replies.

I've been sharing my two cents in here for a while and I've disagreed with other members on a number of topics. For the most part, people here are very respectful of others' opinions. When a person takes it to a personal level, however, they tend to get trounced. This is what has happened to Mr. Wilson, in my opinion.

Other than a few dorks I've liked all the geocachers I've met and even been suprised when I attened a geo event that I had fun.

But it's not about community. I do this for fun with my friends and family. Friends and family are what make communities but no way am I in this for the community.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Rex_Gordon:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Is rex gordon related to http://profiles.yahoo.com/roe_gordon?

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

After looking at that picture, I certaintly hope not!

Signed, Rex

Funny how in an earlier post Rex_Gordon says

quote:

<snip>

been looted, but I live in the same area as this guy. I've met him a few times. He seemes decent enough, but he has a nasty temper. As

<snip>

but then later looks at the picture and doesn't mention anything about this being TJ?

He has met him a few times but didn't recognize him and put it all together?

Hmmm....I hope Rex_Gordon is not TJ...hmmmmm

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbutcher68:

If you had his kind of posting record and later realized what you had done, would you? Maybe his doctor realized that a low dose of Prozac wasn't working.

Maps?!? We don't need no stinking maps! We got coordinates!

I wouldn't/haven't. I stay stick with whatever and conform.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

I'm sorry very much, but my name is Rick Perry. I got my Geocaching username by combining trex and Flash Gordon (of which I saw a few episodes in my youth).

TJWilson and Rex_Gordon's accounts match up by IP address and other markers (like the fact that you have a static address through cable, your passwords are identical, etc.)

I seriously despise puppet accounts so please don't be deceptive. It would be greatly appreciated. It's especially irritating that you would act as though you're someone else responding to your own post.

Gah.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

TJWilson and Rex_Gordon's accounts match up by IP address and other markers (like the fact that you have a static address through cable, your passwords are identical, etc.)

I was thinking about this today and wondered if TPTB might check into this.

As usual, Jeremy is on top of things.

Great job!!!!

quote:

I seriously despise puppet accounts so please don't be deceptive. It would be greatly appreciated. It's especially irritating that you would act as though you're someone else responding to your own post.

Gah.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Now the truth is out and all the posters who were so-called "attackers" are shown as the protectors of the boards.

Good work guys.

Later,

Kenneth

It is funny isn't it? After reading some of TJWilson's threads, he was a little over the top on things. Then as Rex_Gordon, he was more down to earth and got better results in replies to him. Hope this helps him out.

People don't realize the things that Jeremy pointed out. I run a message board and have had someone do that before. This was a different story, but someone from a business of a product I purchased through didn't like the fact that I said I wouldn't endorse them on my site. Well luckily I was online and on my message board as they were signing up. They used an email with that included their name (happened to have talked to them on the phone earlier) to validate their registration. Then they went to a forum that may get 2 or 3 visits a day and there were several on it at once. The person posted a message defending the company, but acting like a third party. I immediately thought it was them. But after looking up the IP that the software logs for them, I knew it was exactly them due to the ISP that hat the IP address. It was significant to one part of the country, which the business was located in.

Also as Jeremy put, these "puppet" profiles do take up space and do not give a correct estimate as to the actual number of people. If you have 4 people in your team, then there's nothing wrong with 4 profiles. But if you have 4 people and a couple have 2 different profiles, then it becomes a problem. Also you make seek assistance for Mulitple Personality Disorder....lol icon_eek.gif

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

The reason I created this account was so that I could post to the boards without having people like mopar turn it into something against what I intended. It was a way for me to get away from him, and others like him constantly putting me down here on the boards. I guess posting to this thread as someone else was a mistake, but there you have it. I can tell you that I'm not the one that plundered the cache in question. I showed someone that was in the area what caching was all about I'd say close to a week ago, perhaps they got the wrong idea.

Jeremy: I'm sure you can understand why I created this account. I wanted to remain annoymous, so as to not evoke the kinds of responses from Mopar and others as I had been. I'm obvisouly not as good as I though I was at keeping secrets.

I want to continue caching, and posting to the boards, but if people like Mopar are going to flame me on every post, I don't see the point. for me, caching is about making bonds with people from all over the world, not purposely putting them down when they try to ask a question.

I know that I did deserve at least SOME of the flaming, but to the extent at hich I received it is a bit extreme. All I want to do is cache, and use these boards as common ground to talk to other cachers.

If you all want to flame me now, go right ahead, but before you do, read this over once or twice and then consider your post before making it. All I'm asking is for constructive criticisim. If you don't want to help me become a better poster, then don't post.

Signed, Rex

Ok Rex, I don't know you, and I didn't hear this from you, but the word says you actually deleted all the finds of your caches you hid with your previous account before you had them archived and 'quit'. Is this true, and if it is, why on Earth did you do something like that?

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

It is true that I did that. In times of great anger, people often do incredibally stupid things, and this was one such occasion. I also deleted all the finds from my travel bug. On top of that, I removed all the info from all of my cache pages and my TB page.

Am I proud? nope. In fact, I wish there were some way for me to undo the deed, but theres not so I can only live with what I have done. I messed up, and the only thing I can do now is make at least some attempt at repairing the damage, starting with my last few posts. I'm making a very hard effort to let things slide from now on, and I hope others are willing to do the same.

Signed, Rex

Becoming a better poster means not constantly drawing attention to yourself. If you want to ask a question be aware that people may have different opinions than yours. If you don't want to hear their opinions or you don't want to be open to them...don't post. it really is that simple. A good discussion has more than one side. If you are not open to other people's opinion and all you want to do is defend your own, you are better off not posting about it. I have been on other mesage boards and there are always people drawing attention to themselves by saying "I'm leaving forever!" and "You guys are mean!", ect. Then they either show up again because they crave the attention or they change their name and let people know in subtle ways that they are back...more negative attention. To me, it's rather annoying and usually I don't pay much attention. SO, like I said, if you want to be a better poster (kind of a strange ambition with all the other things you could be good at), back off, be open to what others have to say and think twice before posting.

Gonk, everything in your post are both things that I've done (the negative), and things I'm trying to do (the positive). Posts like yours, constructive, critical, and polite, are posts that I truely admire. I have no clue what I can do to make up for my... questionable posting in the past, other than to at least try and post better from now on.

Signed, Rex

I admire your willingness to change and to continue geocaching and to try and fit in more. I'm sure that in time it will all be forgotten. It seems that the final hurdle you need to get over is that it's really not about Mopar, and he's not the one who did anything to you that you didn't deserve. Yeah, there's a lot of people who think they own the place, like Mopar, BrianSnat,etc. and I guess even I have made some undeserving posts now and again. While I may not agree with everything Mopar says, that doesn't stop me from treating him (and others) with a little respect and courtesy. And when I don't treat someone that way, I do start feeling like maybe it was a bad thing. I think if you want to continue geocaching and to play nice and get along, you will find that the people here are ready to forgive you and will be ready to move on. Welcome to geocaching!

quote:

I messed up, and the only thing I can do now is make at least some attempt at repairing the damage, starting with my last few posts. I'm making a very hard effort to let things slide from now on....

I’ll believe that when I see it. A bad reputation is almost always earned - and so is a good one. It is very difficult to get along in life without a decent reputation. I (and others I suspect) seriously doubt the sincerity of your last few posts. I am sure you find that unfair, but that’s called “consequences”. At this point in time your credibility is worth less than shares in Enron. Don’t expect to regain it by a few mea culpa posts (although that may be a start to your redemption). If you truly wish to develop a respectable reputation here, then I suggest you follow the advice of Gonk and Geefel (above). In your case, it will take time. Doing a little more Geocaching might help too.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Geeze, Rex, I wish you hadn't tricked me like that. icon_frown.gif I guess I'm not pessemistic enough, or I would have seen it as the others did. I tend to just trust that people will be honest.

With that said, keep the Rex side of your personality when posting, keep caching, and if people annoy you on the boards, just ignore them or take a break from the board. Most of all, if someone disagrees with you, recognize that is ok and if you feel you must respond, do so calmly.

pokeanim3.gif

TJ, or whatever your real name is. Stand up and be your own man. The more you try to avoid the problems you've created for yourself by using deceit and tricks, the worse you make things for yourself. If you can possibly learn anything from this thread, see that you get better results by acting calm and patient, not by throwing temper tantrums. If you screw up, then own up to it, don't try to mask it. That is not only immature, it makes you look feeble and lame. I'm not saying that to spite you, I'm saying it so that you can understand that people like me who have never even talked to you before get a very serious negative reception to you when you act like you have here.

You're taking some hard knocks here from some people who wont let your actions pass. And that is because there will always be repercussions to your actions. Please learn from that. Stand up straight and be a man, and that starts by treating others with respect and honesty. If you don't, there's always going to be someone to bust you down for it. And that applies to whether it's on the web by someone tracing your IP addy or simple deductive reasoning, or in real life where it could be much worse for you. Remember, you are becoming an adult and what ranting you might've gotten away with on your parents and friends isn't going to work around other adults.

I hope your latest post about cleaning up your act and learning how to take yourself in hand is true and not just something to say to take the heat off of you. Because if it is the latter, you will probably never learn and are in for a long sad life.

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

My .02 (since I don't have time this morning to read all the threads people have pointed out), but deleting all FOUND logs on all of his caches before archiving them truly is the equivalent of a 2 year-old throwing a fit because he/she didn't get to watch The Wiggles before taking a nap. There's been a few incidents around here when owner/finder have disagreed over something, and the owner ends up deleting logs of that person only as a "I'll show you" knee-jerk reaction. Personally, I think this sport could do without people like that, despite how well they may hide caches.

How many of the cachers who had their logs deleted were involved in anything TJ deemed a personal attack? Probably very few. It's a dadgum shame that people feel the need to do this in order to make themselves feel like they have the control, and thus win the 'game'. Even in cyberspace, a temper not in check can be just as destructive as the real world.

If you are still reading the forums as a lurker/troll, take the last sentence in the above paragraph seriously. Flame me? So be it. If I choose to respond, it will be a well articulated response, and not something spewed out of anger. Self-control is a wonderful thing.

Brian

Team A.I.

I don't intend to flame anyone on here.

First off, I have admitted that removing all the logs from my caches was a mistake. I have also admitted that I did it in the heat of anger. At the time, I only felt like ruining caching for others. I now feel very, very differently. Now my plan is to find at least 10 caches before I hide any.

I appreicate the new perspective everyone is taking. I realize that it's going to take me quite some time to regain a positive status on these boards, and I am going to try my best to remain of open mind at all times.

Signed, Rex

quote:
Rex_Gordon wrote:

I realize that it's going to take me quite some time to regain a positive status on these boards, and I am going to try my best to remain of open mind at all times.

Resistance is futile. Your biological and techological distinctives will be added to the collective. You must cease thinking that you can entertain independent opinions. You will be assimilated.

Sheesh.

Ok, ok, ok, ok, ok. I get it I get it.

First of all Pick a name and stick with it and don't ever change again. I think this is at least your third name.

Second, be yourself and get along.

Third, stop applogizing and all that other crap, we know you screwed up but you don't answer to any of us, so stop worrying about that.

Fourth, Mopar is a terd and everyone knows it, the truth is we all like him regardless so the same can happen for you. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

It is true that I did that. In times of great anger, people often do incredibally stupid things, and this was one such occasion. I also deleted all the finds from my travel bug. On top of that, I removed all the info from all of my cache pages and my TB page.

I travel a good bit, but if I were ever up in your area I would stay away from your caches like they were contaminated with the plague. I have personally seen too many of your temper tantrums in the chat room and it is always the same... begging for forgiveness immediately afterwards. It is a pattern, and I am afraid that if I waste my time on one of your caches that eventually you will throw another tantrum and go deleting logs once again. No thanks. There are way too many good cachers and caches out there to waste my time on you and yours.

Mtn-man, let me start off by saying that what you say is your opinion, and holds no consequence to me. If you do not wish to hunt for my caches, that doesn't mean that others don't want to hunt for them. Someone on here once said that if you don't want to do it, then do, and stop complaining.

Brian, I don't plan on behaving like a "juvenile jerk" any longer. I finally realized that the way I was acting was completely absurd, and altogether immature.

all: I don't give two hoots what your opinions of me are at this stage of the game. Like Leathermans (I think) sig line says, "I've never learned anything from someone I agreed with"

Signed, Rex

quote:
Originally posted by Gonk and Geefel:

Becoming a better poster means not constantly drawing attention to yourself. If you want to ask a question be aware that people may have different opinions than yours. If you don't want to hear their opinions or you don't want to be open to them...don't post. it really is that simple. A good discussion has more than one side. If you are not open to other people's opinion and all you want to do is defend your own, you are better off not posting about it. I have been on other mesage boards and there are always people drawing attention to themselves by saying "I'm leaving forever!" and "You guys are mean!", ect. Then they either show up again because they crave the attention or they change their name and let people know in subtle ways that they are back...more negative attention. To me, it's rather annoying and usually I don't pay much attention. SO, like I said, if you want to be a better poster (kind of a strange ambition with all the other things you could be good at), back off, be open to what others have to say and think twice before posting.

Rex_Gordon, you claimed to have read this post and you even responded as follows:

quote:

Gonk, everything in your post are both things that I've done (the negative), and things I'm trying to do (the positive). Posts like yours, constructive, critical, and polite, are posts that I truely admire. I have no clue what I can do to make up for my... questionable posting in the past, other than to at least try and post better from now on.

Your lack of sincerity is once again proven beyond any doubt - by yourself.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:

Mtn-man, let me start off by saying that what you say is your opinion, and holds no consequence to me. If you do not wish to hunt for my caches, that doesn't mean that others don't want to hunt for them. Someone on here once said that if you don't want to do it, then do, and stop complaining.

Brian, I don't plan on behaving like a "juvenile jerk" any longer. I finally realized that the way I was acting was completely absurd, and altogether immature.

all: I don't give two hoots what your opinions of me are at this stage of the game. Like Leathermans (I think) sig line says, "I've never learned anything from someone I agreed with"

Signed, Rex

No, actually what mtn-man said is not an opinion, it's a fact.

opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof

fact: Knowledge or information based on real occurrences

It is a fact, not an opinion, that you throw a temper tantrum in the irc channel or the forums at least once a month. It is a fact, not an opinion, that each time, immediately after said temper tantrum, you created a fictitious login pretending to be someone else. It is a fact, not an opinion, that each time, and only AFTER you were unmasked as a fraud, you begged forgiveness for your actions.

These aren't opinions, these are documented facts. It hasn't happened just once or twice, but more times then I care to count.

Please get your facts straight.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I am wondering why GC.com cannot ban his IP address. If this not the first time he has done this, then the violation warrents severe punishment.

It is apparent this person needs attention, and does not care about geocaching or it's participants. It is a common occurance on other post boards I have seen. If we ignore the person, they will get bored and go away.

This person needs professional help, and I hope he gets it.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

If this not the first time he has done this, then the violation warrents severe punishment.

I am certainly wondering about this as well. frog.gificon_wink.giffrog.gif

Although disturbed person's need to be handled delicatly. We don't need to create another Pigman, or Cache Pirate.

I think the best advice to RG was to lay low.

RG: Shut up here and post on some other site for a while. Don't discontinue geocaching as that might be one of the more positive aspects of your life.

In RG's defense. I have noticed a few posters that aren't really happy unless they have something to get good and mad about. I can't stand it when people can't remain civil even in the face of flames. Neverless, I have noted an improvement since I arrived here.

In defense of everyone else: Dude! Your record speaks for itself. Mopar is right.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

It is also a fact that you deleted all finds and information off of every thing you have entered into the GC.com system for other users to take advantage of. You have done all of those people a gross injustice. They never did anything to you and you treated them like dirt. Based on facts of your past history I feel that these same actions, in my opinion, could very well happen once again. Why take the chance when "There are way too many good cachers and caches out there to waste my time on you and yours."

quote:
Originally posted by Gonk and Geefel:

SO, like I said, if you want to be a better poster (kind of a strange ambition with all the other things you could be good at), back off, be open to what others have to say and think twice before posting.

You should also ditch this stupid Rex_Gordon account and start posting as TJWilson again. If you want us to respect you for who you are, then you need to get rid of the troll account. I am a very forgiving person, but I got out of IRC chat rooms a long time ago because of people like you. I don't have to deal with these types of actions and can just turn it off. After around a two year hiatus I am back in a regular chat room now. I have enjoyed the time spent over the last year + in ClayJar's chat because he does not tolerate actions like yours. ALMOST everyone know it and respects him and his wishes. It is a fun group and it needs to stay that way. If you want to get back in good graces, then you need to quietly rejoin the group. Lay back and if you can interject things into the conversation then fine. But you do have a LONG way to go and it will take time.

Well, isn't mtn-man a bit backwards? I'd say that TJ is the troll account, while the RG account is the non-troll account. The cart before the horse kinda thing. icon_smile.gif

If RG/TJ is going to make a concerted effort to change his ways, great. Already there is a certain level headedness in the new account, but I am looking forward to seeing if that can remain when the heat is on.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Well, isn't mtn-man a bit backwards? I'd say that TJ is the troll account, while the RG account is the non-troll account. The cart before the horse kinda thing. icon_smile.gif

True, I guess I should have called it what it really is... a sock puppet account trying to dupe readers of these forums as opposed to the original account in which he acts like an Internet troll. I still think he should go back to his original account and repair that instead of continuing to hide behind a new sock puppet account.

The only thing I will say on the last couple of posts in this thread is that you have taken what I said out of context. Allow me a moment to explain:

mtn-man posted that if he were ever in my area, he would "avoid (my) caches like the plague", my post was intended to convey that if that was what he chooses to do, then so be it. If he decided not to do my caches, I can not force him to. And at the same time, if he decides to do any of my caches, he's wlcome to.

Signed, Rex