Is Geocaching still about community?

xyzabc

The reason I ask this is that over the past several days, no matter what I post anywhere, there is a string of directed personal attacks on me. This What would a new cacher think when reading these forums if all he/she saw were directed personal attacks?

These people, who shall remain nameless untill they decide to attack me once more, which I know for a fact is coming, are giving this sport a bad name here in the forums for anyone that might have an interest in caching.

It is also because of these people that I am removing my account from gc.com, and selling my GPS. Geocaching has lost its appeal to me now that it no longer feels like a community. I wish everyone, except my attackers, luck in future endavours.

tj.jpg

"Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Do what you will but my advise is to STFU and lay low for a little while without making a BIG STINK about everything like you have been. Just go caching and stay out of the forums for a while and things will be ok.

You are only making things worse for yourself by being a dork and posting BS.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Almost every new cacher is welcomed nicely.

I think people only get trouble when they give it.

Give it some time. Mature a bit and then do what you like.

(I am confused. Everyone keeps posting that your mom smashed your GPS with a hammer. Don't sell the wreckage.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Do what you will but my advise is to STFU and lay low for a little while without making a BIG STINK about everything like you have been. Just go caching and stay out of the forums for a while and things will be ok.

You are only making things worse for yourself by being a dork and posting BS.

These are words of wisdom from someone who has been there. Everyone remember umc's debut around here? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Just take it easy. Geocaching is about the caching, not the forums.

Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone by not posting here, so....

dadgum right Bull Moose, you are correct for most of us. However, there does seem to be a very small segment of the population that feels that geocaching is really about the forums, not finding caches.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

My main point is below, but I first must ask: Mopar, funny post, but who is the guy in the "very small segment" link? Am I missing out on an inside joke (I hate it when that happens!)? Edit: never mind, I found out it was TJ from the IRC chat. Ok now the main point:

I'm too lazy to Markwell here, but people have done the "I was treated mean in the forum and am quitting" thing before. Some came back and are happy and some didn't (I don't know if some of them actually quit caching). It's usually a result of a person posting something and not getting the responses they thought would happen and/or misconceptions about when a person is being sarcastic. Also, often when posting, people come across in ways that they didn't intend, which leads to ribbing or outright flaming.

Anyway, posting that you will quit after getting flamed is silly and the responses you get to that statement will generally be negative. Basically, know this: Geocaching does not equal forum posting. They are totally different things. Forum posting involves many different personalities in a context where people feel more free to speak their minds and where words can also be mis-interpreted. Quit the forum if you want, but if you like caching it is silly to quit that.

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on June 15, 2003 at 08:05 PM.]

Unless someone involves their family, this is a solitary activity.

Some cachers get together for picnics, but geocaching has never "been about" community.

There have been a couple of people that threaten to quit and pull their caches, sell their GPSrs, poke their eyes out, or whatever when they get too deep into the forums. I view it as a call for attention, and a hope people will beg them to stay.

Problems happen, but they won't scare away newcomers, unless the newcomers arrive specifically to make trouble. Even then, they'll stay for the sport of baiting.

Take a break from the forums, find some caches, get some experience and that "thick hide" that ~erik~ told you that you would need. (Back when you were asking to be an approver.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

It is also because of these people that I am removing my account from gc.com, and selling my GPS.

Every time I read that someone is quitting & selling their unit I make an offer but they never sell & somehow never leave anyway.

I'll add your name to the list...

quote:
Originally posted by TJWilson:

The reason I ask this is that over the past several days, no matter what I post anywhere, there is a string of directed personal attacks on me. This What would a new cacher think when reading these forums if all he/she saw were directed personal attacks?

Well, I would think that if you keep posting messages pointing out that people keep attacking you, then people look at your previous posts and it becomes obvious to them...thus adding to the number of people who attack you...thus prompting you to post again.

The links to previous threads by various posters shows they keep researching out your claims and want to make sure everyone else sees why you are attacked.

quote:

These people, who shall remain nameless untill they decide to attack me once more, which I

I can see you attempt to appear harmless and respectful when your other posts show otherwise. Anyone can view your posts and see who is attacking you (or as I have seen are usually defending themselves or trying to calm you down so reason can be used).

quote:

know for a fact is coming, are giving this sport a bad name here in the forums for anyone that might have an interest in caching.

I agree that tension and arguing can be viewed negatively by some, but most people who are truly interested in caching will either ignore the posts or read into the history of the nature of the posts and understand what is happening.

quote:

It is also because of these people that I am removing my account from gc.com, and selling my GPS. Geocaching has lost its appeal to me

Oh grow up. This is like a grammer school child who says "if I can't ..... then I'm not playing anymore".

If you truly like caching then spend more time doing it and less time in the boards.

This is truly a sport that you can do alone if you so desire.

Besides, like Mopar pointed out your profile xyzabc shows you with 0 finds. I will give you the benefit that maybe you don't log your finds online, but you don't seem to be the type who wants to lie low as you have posted on the boards frequently and keep sticking your head out exposing your neck.

quote:

now that it no longer feels like a community. I wish everyone, except my attackers, luck in future endavours.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

A community requires a diversity of people and Groundspeak will remain a community.

Websters defines a community as:

Community (n.) n.

1. Common possession or enjoyment; participation; as, a community of goods.

2. A body of people having common rights, privileges, or interests, or living in the same place under the same laws and regulations

<snip>

I think if you sell your GPS and no longer participate in geocaching then you have left the community.

It however does not say that if you disagree with others then you are not a part of or that it is no longer a community.

I suggest you take umc's advice and lay low, go find some awesome caches, and discover (or re-discover) what this is all about.

If not, then farewell.

Kenneth

quote:

It is also because of these people that I am removing my account from gc.com, and selling my GPS. Geocaching has lost its appeal to me now that it no longer feels like a community. I wish everyone, except my attackers, luck in future endavours.

Desperate cry for help noted and ignored. Buh-bye. Don't let the door hit you on the rear on the way out.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

This is a puzzle, but the box for this puzzle is filled with pieces from many different puzzles. "My mom smashed my GPS this week", my mom bought me a new Magellan GPS, they don't sell Magellan around here. Three weeks ago I used my new Magellan, Mom got my new GPS at Radio Shack, Radio Shack doesn't sell Magellan 315, always said in chat or forums "I'm working on a new cache".. that's going to be this or that, 3 caches placed, number never changed, kept saying in chat wel I'm off and I'm going caching, 3 finds, never changed. Every conversation was dotted with argument. He's the computer god. Sheesh. No skin off my nose! And don't forget the GGCA debaucle! I'm glad this is over. Who wants to go night caching in Central Park tonight? (see Northeast forums if you dare)

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

Oh grow up. This is like a grammer school child who says "if I can't ..... then I'm not playing anymore".

If you truly like caching then spend more time doing it and less time in the boards.

This is truly a sport that you can do alone if you so desire.

Besides, like Mopar pointed out your profile http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=31928&u=2586001431 shows you with 0 finds. I will give you the benefit that maybe you don't log your finds online, but you don't seem to be the type who wants to lie low as you have posted on the boards frequently and keep sticking your head out exposing your neck.

Oh, Looks like he deleted his finds. I guess he must have been embarassed that after all this time telling us stories about his great adventures in geocaching, he had actually only found 3 caches (Darn, can't change the stats, TJ!).

The truly sad thing is he was such a baby he also deleted all the logs from the caches he hid before archiving them. Great way to burn your bridges and thank your local cachers at the same time, eh?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I don't know this cacher. I haven't read his posts. Perhaps the hostile reaction he received is warranted.

I can tell you that the forums for this hobby are dramatically more hostile than forums I have read relating to other hobbies/sports. There is a recurrent trend towards flames and other abuse. I guess this is because its not a moderated forum, and those in admin don't seem interested in doing much about it.

The sport was losing a great deal of appeal to me this winter when I kept getting on to the forums and kept seeing others get flamed and getting flamed myself.

I realized then that this sport, which one can do quite successfully without any human contact, appeals to an element of society who tend towards difficult relationships with other humans. I have come to expect the flames in these forums to continue along with the trashing of caches that others pay for and and still others are trying to use for fun.

Its sad that the admin people don't seem to grasp this and start tweaking a few of the more egregious flamers.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

I'm pretty new to the forums, been geocaching with a friend for a long time, just got my own account not too long ago. I spend quite a bit of time reading on the forum and I haven't noticed any attacks that would cause a new member to leave. It's cyberspace dude, who cares what people say about you? Chances are you'll never meet them. And when you argue back with people or defend yourself you just make it worse. Best thing to do is ignore them.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

quote:
Originally posted by wvabackpacker:

I'm pretty new to the forums, been geocaching with a friend for a long time, just got my own account not too long ago. I spend quite a bit of time reading on the forum and I haven't noticed any attacks that would cause a new member to leave. It's cyberspace dude, who cares what people say about you? Chances are you'll never meet them. And when you argue back with people or defend yourself you just make it worse. Best thing to do is ignore them.

I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people in the world. I'm just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Couldn't have said it better myself wv. I belong to quite a few boards (mostly football related) and I see flamers(not that kind...get your mind outta the gutter icon_eek.gif) all the time. If you ignore them, they will eventually get bored and go away.

Spzzmoose & "the monsters"

icon_wink.gif TJWilson... Don't get your panties in a bunch. You're not the only one that has happened to. Not to worry though... The amount of cr@p usually caught in the forums is inversely proportional to your # of finds ;-)

Thanks for the hides though.

82972_1100.jpg

quote:
wvbackpacker wrote:

It's cyberspace dude, who cares what people say about you? Chances are you'll never meet them.

In most instances this is probably true. There are those however, that have never heard the expression "a bear never sh*ts in its own forest".

I'm not sure it's proper for me to say anything on this subject, seing as I only started caching today, and the cache I did find had been looted, but I live in the same area as this guy. I've met him a few times. He seemes decent enough, but he has a nasty temper. As for what I've seen from links, the flack he's getting is well deserved. He went and removed his caches because of a few lines of text. Non only that, but he deleted everyones logs! Personally, I'm glad to know that idiots like him are few and far between.

Signed, Rex

Well, Im sure that caching is fun. I know I had a great time trying to find the small container with my GPS (Magellan 315), even though it was plundered. I didn't log it as a find though, wasn't sure I should because there was nothing to trade, and the fact that there was no pen/pencil in the cache, and I didn't have one on me. I'm taking one on all future hunts.

I use a 315 too. If you actually found the container, but it had been emptied, I say that you can still log it. If you just found the area it should have been in, then no. Of course, this is the type of thing people debate over, but you get to make your own rules in the end. Regardless, definitely at least log either a no find or a note so the owner knows the cache was looted.

pokeanim3.gif

You found the box, so I think you can post a find. Some might debate the lack of a physical log entry. The ability to trade doesn't matter, many never trade or sometimes trade and sometimes don't etc. Like I said, in the end, you get to make your own rules there, so post a find if you think it is appropriate or don't if you feel uncomfortable with that. Personally, I would log a find on it, but would note that I couldn't sign the log and that it was emptied, and then would tell the owner that they could delete my find if they felt that didn't meet the rules. Posting the note that you did was good.

Always sad to see a cache get plundered, but at least they left the box and log!

Happy caching to you!

pokeanim3.gif

I took your advice, and edited my log. I'm going to go back on Monday after my doctors appointment and put a new pen, and some new stuff into the cache, and to log it. Not sure if that's what any other cacher would do, but I think that if you come across a cache that's damaged/plundered, you ought to fix it up a bit.

Signed, Rex

Nice idea! I tend to carry ziplock bags and extra goodies with me to fix up wet caches or re-stock them. But know that if some people plundered it, they might go back. So, put cheap stuff in there just in case it gets plundered again! I bet the owner will maybe move it some when he/she sees your log.

It is obvious that you will be a good cacher! I hope you get addicted!

pokeanim3.gif

Rex,

Welcome to geocaching! A new cacher who thinks about the ethics of whether to log a find (you should) and wants to go repair a damaged cache (it's noble and encouraged)... we need more like you.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

I've already got my pile of replacement items ready to go. Heres the list:

a roll of ASA 200 24exp film (unused)

5 different keychains

a guitar pick

a book of matches

a WheresGeorge traveller that I got from the cash register at work

a pen

and the movie Flight of the Intruder on VHS (got it at a garage sale)

Signed, Rex

An after-thought: People have "adopted" caches by emailing the original owner and offering to take over management of the cache (sometimes original owners who moved seek this too). I'm not sure how it works, but I bet if you get the original owner's consent and then email Jeremy, that the cache could become yours and be put in your name. You then could move it some and re-post the new coordinates. Of course that could also be a real pain for you, especially when you are new to this, in which case, I say just log it (and re-stock it if you want, but not required) with no worries.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rex_Gordon:

I've already got my pile of replacement items ready to go. Heres the list:

a roll of ASA 200 24exp film (unused)

5 different keychains

a guitar pick icon_biggrin.gif

a book of matches

a WheresGeorge traveller that I got from the cash register at work

a pen

and the movie Flight of the Intruder on VHS (got it at a garage sale)

Signed, Rex

Hey Rex...Ya jam??? I play a gibson les paul studio and an American strat!! I was thinking of making a customised pick my sig item! I'm mostly r&b. Wouldn't it be cool if we have a "geocache" jam fest!!!! Think of all the possibilities...dadgum, I'm already writing a song in my head..."I'm bummin cause the old lady can't find the cache blues". icon_biggrin.gif

Spzzmoose & "the monsters"

I haven't had any problems in the forums or GC chat (with the exception of one thread when I first started). Some of the threads I've posted to might have some differing opinions from my own, but I don't consider that a problem. Sure, people don't allways agree with each other, but that is no reason to take it personally. Forums are for the sharing of ideas and opinions. I've found these forums to be an excellent resource for information about GPS, and caching. You can "feel out" new cache ideas before you try them. And there is a good deal of flaming going on as well. I think most of it starts as good natured ribbing, then it escalates. Someone made mention of caching drawing a socially challenged demographic. I don't think that's the case. Most of the cacher's I have communicated with in the forums, chat, and in person were very friendly. They welcome newcomers to the sport, and are enthusiasic about helping any way they can. If you get messed with, give people the benefit of the doubt, and shrug it off as the joke it most likely is. We all can't agree on every topic, and it would be a miserable, boring world if we did. But as cachers, I suspect we all have more important things in common than the minor issues argued over in the forums. We all share a love of gadgets, technology, puzzles, adventure, and the great outdoors. (And if your reading this post, you're probably fond of the forums as well icon_smile.gif)

eyes.GIF

"The fertilizer has hit the ventilator"

Breath deep.....In with the good cacher.... Out with the bad cacher Refreshing ain't it? Welcome to geocaching Rex! You are off to a great start. That's a lot of trade items! Make sure you leave a little room for others to put stuff in icon_biggrin.gif. You could adopt it if you ask the owner if they live far and they can have Jeremy put it in your name. I've done that before. It's nice to have you here.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Geocachers socially challenged? I dunno about that. Let's see, one regular poster to these forums mentioned he was visiting NYC this weekend. A cacher from NYC offered to take him caching. A cacher From CT came down, picking up another cacher in NY state along the way. Myself? I just went too, and picked up another cacher who needed a ride. That cacher happened to live 1 hr SW of me, and NYC is 30 minutes NE of me. Oh, and I've done those caches already. So I drove about 5hrs total just to walk around Central Park with 8 other cachers from 4 states for a few hrs and have a cheeseburger for dinner(Thanks again, Planet!).

Sounds like these socially challenged geocachers from the forums are a pretty social lot!

Tea-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Geocacher's socailly challenged? I dunno about that. Let's see, on regular poster to these forums mentioned he was visiting NYC this weekend. A cacher from NYC offered to take him caching. A cacher From CT came down, picking up another cacher in NY state along the way. Myself? I just went to, and picked up another cacher. That cacher happened to live 1 hr south of me, and NYC is 30 minutes NE of me. Oh, and I've done those caches already. So I drove 5hrs total just to walk around Central Park with 8 other cachers for a few hrs and have a cheeseburgerfor dinner(Thanks again, Planet!).

Sounds like these socially challened geocachers from the forums are a pretty social lot!

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

It does that indeed. I can't wait till I meet another cacher out on a hunt.

Signed, Rex