Cache Repair Kit

I know this has been covered, but I want to refresh people's minds and souls.

I went to my first "First" tonight and I was really disappointed. The hunt was fun, and the family all walked away without harming each other.

This cache: no log book and writing tool, no geocaching letter of explanation, not well hidden, in somewhat water penetrable container, no contact information, blah blah blah.

I sent a note to the owner (1 found, 1 hid), but I thought how cool it would be if I just added everything to it right then. Something of a "Cache Repair kit" - capable of fixing any aspect of the cache from the log book to maybe even the container itself.

Anyone else carry a Cache Repair Kit?

And would it be presumptuous/pompous/arrogant/etc to replace a whole cache 'cause it wasn't 'up to par'?

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I would be gratefull if anything if someone fixed one of my caches that had deterriorated over time...or if i had done a poor job in their eyes.

BUT, i do think there is a limit to what you should do...i would not like it if someone took something of mine and "messed" with it so much it was practicly theirs. Like if i had selected a hiding spot and they felt if was poorly hid and moved it etc.

But i think i may just start carrying a repair kit

MAX

MAX

Yeah, I’ve been really tempted. Some of the caches in my area have really declined. I held back though for the reasons you mentioned …“presumptuous/pompous/arrogant"

I think the owners should be contacted of course, telling them that their cache is lame could take some tact.

I carry extra pens, ziplock baggies, and a small notebook. I've replaced damaged bags and missing pens on numerous occasions, and provided a new logbook for a cache up in Ann Arbor, MI. I probably should keep a few extra copies of the "You've found it!" sheet. I've found several caches that were missing them.

But I think "repair" should be just that. Fix what may be damaged or gone missing. Beyond that, it's really the cache owner's responsibility. If I found a tupperware container with a badly cracked lid, and the contents would be ruined in the next rain storm, I would wrap the whole thing in a trash bag (in my pack for CI/TO purposes) before re-hiding it, and make sure I e-mailed the owner about it. But I wouldn't run out to the store to buy a new one, or replace it with an ammo box.

PS_sig.gif

I always carry a "repair kit" - Ziploc bags, cache notes, pencils, notebooks, black Marksalot, and a paint pen. I was the first finder of a newbie first cache a few days ago that only had some 3x5 cards for a log book, so I traded a small spiral for the 3x5 cards. I often replace the Ziploc bags, especially for the log book. I would never be so presumptuous as to replace the cache container itself without first contacting the owner.

25021_1200.gif

I have been carrying a few items in my “cache pack” (as my kids call it) just for this type situation. Several ziplock bags, a couple extra note pads, a handful of trade items and a geocaching letter make up my usual repair items. I’ve never replaced an entire container, but I don’t see any harm in giving the cache a quick fix.

14286_300.JPG

I'm right there with Prime Suspect. Spare ziplocks, pens, logbooks, AND welcome sheets. Also usually have some camo duct tape that can be used to temp patch a cracked cache. Anything more then that, and your not repairing so much as replacing.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

I agree with all comments but the person who hides also has the responsibility to maintain it. Don't just hide and leave. I check on mine every 2 weeks. Also when one hides they should see what nature will do the the area come spring and summer. I have been to caches that are nice now but are right in the middle of blackberry bushes that will make it near impossible to get to near summer.

geosigbuscard.jpg

I think I'm gonna start carrying a few ziploc bags, and pencils (pens tend to be frozen in cold weather!) and I always have plenty trades if needed...but to replace everything isn't up to us, it's up to the person who hid it. Maybe if it's a cool area and you contact the person that hid it, and they never reply....someone could take it over, but not without trying to contact first!

I've found a cache that the logbook was mildewed, everything inside was wet, there was a huge crack in the bottom of the container...and the hider just doesn't maintain any of his caches anymore. It's kinda pointless to replace the logbook and stuff inside if there's no replacement container to put it in though! Cuz it's just gonna get all nasty again!

icon_frown.gif

I think I'm gonna start carrying a few ziploc bags, and pencils (pens tend to be frozen in cold weather!) and I always have plenty trades if needed...but to replace everything isn't up to us, it's up to the person who hid it. Maybe if it's a cool area and you contact the person that hid it, and they never reply....someone could take it over, but not without trying to contact first!

I've found a cache that the logbook was mildewed, everything inside was wet, there was a huge crack in the bottom of the container...and the hider just doesn't maintain any of his caches anymore. It's kinda pointless to replace the logbook and stuff inside if there's no replacement container to put it in though! Cuz it's just gonna get all nasty again!

icon_frown.gif

Brokenwing and I are with y'all. We carry several sizes of ziplocs, trash bags (actually intended for trash out activity), an extra pencil or two, an extra notebook, and a couple of cache notes. I won't go so far as to replace the container (except to provide a large ziploc and/or trashbag), except perhaps in the case of a cacher I know to be active who might have cache contents at risk if I don't either repackage or pick them up. Web-ling did this for us when he found one of our caches plundered.

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

We have a cache in our area that was H2O'ed BIG TIME. It had been full of water on a couple of occasions. I finally went to hunt for it (after reading all the logs saying it was yucky (sp)) and had brought some new stuff to put in it. Thrown out just about everything. Rusty keychains, slimy toys, messed up contracters book ect. E-mailed the cache owner and he thanked me/us for doing it. He had planned on comming to fix it up this summer but it seemed to be sort of popular so he was thankfull I helped out.

So now I ALLWAYS carry "SPARE PARTS" with me...

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?

Although I know it isnt my personal responsibility to maintain caches that I visit, I try to make sure a cache is left better than I found it when I leave. Leaving additional paper if needed, sharpening pencils, leaving my pen behind, etc. I always carry a pen with me and keep several in my car so leaving mine behind is never a big deal. I think I will prob start carying zip locks in case they are needed, It wont add any weight to by pack and I dont like to leave things in poor repair.

quote:
Originally posted by MattandLaura:

...but the person who hides also has the responsibility to maintain it. Don't just hide and leave.

So what about all those caches out there that people hide while on vacation? Often times I don't know if the person who placed it is local or not. MANY around here are placed by visitors and to the best of my knowledge not maintained by anyone. Those people are the hardest to reach by email, too, oftentimes with obselete, old emails. I wouldn't want to drive ANOTHER 130 miles roundtrip to fix a cache that wasn't mine that I'd already been to.

Maybe write in the logs that the cache needs repair and hope the next cacher is an experienced one? That may be the next best approach to fixing the

really bad ones...

I like the idea of a CRK. I will try to remember to take it with me from now on. But, I'm the kinda guy that leaves his trade items, camera, kids, etc in the car when I get to the parking spot. icon_smile.gif

quote:

...but the person who hides also has the responsibility to maintain it. Don't just hide and leave.

So what about all those caches out there that people hide while on vacation? Often times I don't know if the person who placed it is local or not. MANY around here are placed by visitors and to the best of my knowledge not maintained by anyone. Those people are the hardest to reach by email, too, oftentimes with obselete, old emails. I wouldn't want to drive ANOTHER 130 miles roundtrip to fix a cache that wasn't mine that I'd already been to.

Maybe write in the logs that the cache needs repair and hope the next cacher is an experienced one? That may be the next best approach to fixing the

really bad ones...

I like the idea of a CRK. I will try to remember to take it with me from now on. But, I'm the kinda guy that leaves his trade items, camera, kids, etc in the car when I get to the parking spot. icon_smile.gif

I'm waiting now on a cache owner to get in touch with me about a cache that hasn't been maintained in quite a while. It was stolen/lost before I got to it so I replaced it then with a temporary one a month ago & it's still not been replaced. It's 300 miles from me but I visit the area about 4-5 times a year & it's a really neat spot so I hate to see it go away. If I don't hear from them I guess I'll replace it in the general area & post it as my own. The owner has only this one hid plus only 2 finds over a year ago so I don't really expect a response. Early "burn out" I suppose!

I'd appreciate anyone looking after mine or taking it over if I wasn't in the game anymore.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ltljon:

I'm waiting now on a cache owner to get in touch with me ... If I don't hear from them I guess I'll replace it in the general area & post it as my own. The owner has only this one hid plus only 2 finds over a year ago so I don't really expect a response. Early "burn out" I suppose!

And then send Jeremy a polite e-mail asking him to consider archiving the abandoned one.

BassoonPilot

Hladno mi je a zalutao, mokar i gledan sam

I personally feel that a person should not leave a full cache while on vacation. That to me is littering as one has no intention on upkeeping frequently. If you want to leave something leave a TB or hitchhiker.

quote:

_really_ bad ones...

geosigbuscard.jpg

I personally feel that a person should not leave a full cache while on vacation. That to me is littering as one has no intention on upkeeping frequently. If you want to leave something leave a TB or hitchhiker.

quote:

_really_ bad ones...

geosigbuscard.jpg

quote:

...the person who hides also has the responsibility to maintain it. Don't just hide and leave. I check on mine every 2 weeks.

M&L,

I agree, the hider is responsible for the cache. Unfortunately, I don't think many people see it that way, at least in my experience. I haven't yet placed my first cache, I'm still working out the details, but already I've visited each location of the future multi-cache several times. I intend to visit my cache periodically. I don't expect it to get found very often, so it's likely I'll visit it more often than it is found.

But at least around here, I've found that very few owners maintain their caches. I've emailed several owners of caches that seem to be in disrepair according to the logs, but to date, only one owner has ever responded. He told me he planned to fix up the cache in a day or two. I went out there two weeks later, and it appeared to be in the same condition. Fortunately, I was able to contact another local cacher and we're gonna fix it up together later this week.

I usually carry some ziplocks, pens, and notepads with me in case a cache needs one or two of those items.

On two separate occasions, I've contacted owners about caches that had been seemingly abandoned and in dire need of repair, inquiring of their intentions. Neither owner responded, so in both instances I completely replaced the caches, containers and all. Both times, I attempted to contact the owner after my repair, explaining that if they were no longer interested in maintaining their caches, I would be happy to take over ownership. In each case, the owner then responded that they wanted to keep their cache. Not surprisingly, neither owner has done anything with the cache since my repair, even after telling me that they intended to keep the cache. (One owner now lives about 800 miles away, Arggh.)

I sure don't mind replacing a broken or missing pen, or putting a new logbook in a cache where the first logbook has gotten full or soaked. Those are naturally occuring things... but too many cachers set-it and forget-it. The paradox is that most of us here on the forums probably don't fall into that category, so our talking about it doesn't address the problem very much.

If there were a way to impress upon cache hiders that they are responsible for that cache, then maybe this wouldn't be such a problem. Maybe requiring a minimum number of finds before you can place one... but I don't like the idea of a bunch of restrictions.

Dunno.. I guess we just need to all continue to be cache-doctors for those who don't take the responsibility to keep their cache in good condition.

Jamie

Personally, I feel that hiding a geocache while on vacation or traveling to another area for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable IF the cache area, container and contents are well-thought out to AVOID the need for frequent maintenance. These seem to be pretty big ifs, especially after reading some of the replies to this thread.

However, one aspect of the original post to this thread doesn't seem to have been acknowledged: This is a new cacher. Emailing them to point out the items lacking in their geocache will cause newbies/rabid hamsters to quit the hobby before they have even begun to enjoy it and have graduated beyond the rabid stage. Having been a RH, I know... I'm still a bit of an RH at times. icon_biggrin.gif

This has come up repeatedly in the threads to this forum, but the main way to deal with it, IMHO is to try and take these folks under-wing. Go geocaching with them. Arrange to have coffee/tea/soda with them to discuss your mutual interest. Show support and consideration for their newness to a sport that we all want to see grow and prosper.

Learning the proper way to place a good or great cache can only be done with knowing what a great cache IS. No one should place restrictions on newbies placing caches... we don't want more restrictions placed on us or our sport. But teaching newcomers is a responsibility we all should share.

Way more than my .02,

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

Personally, I feel that hiding a geocache while on vacation or traveling to another area for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable IF the cache area, container and contents are well-thought out to AVOID the need for frequent maintenance. These seem to be pretty big ifs, especially after reading some of the replies to this thread.

However, one aspect of the original post to this thread doesn't seem to have been acknowledged: This is a new cacher. Emailing them to point out the items lacking in their geocache will cause newbies/rabid hamsters to quit the hobby before they have even begun to enjoy it and have graduated beyond the rabid stage. Having been a RH, I know... I'm still a bit of an RH at times. icon_biggrin.gif

This has come up repeatedly in the threads to this forum, but the main way to deal with it, IMHO is to try and take these folks under-wing. Go geocaching with them. Arrange to have coffee/tea/soda with them to discuss your mutual interest. Show support and consideration for their newness to a sport that we all want to see grow and prosper.

Learning the proper way to place a good or great cache can only be done with knowing what a great cache IS. No one should place restrictions on newbies placing caches... we don't want more restrictions placed on us or our sport. But teaching newcomers is a responsibility we all should share.

Way more than my .02,

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

geobutton1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed, Steak N Eggs and Family:

However, one aspect of the original post to this thread doesn't seem to have been acknowledged: This is a new cacher. ...

I agree to a certain extent, but what precisely, constitutes a "new cacher," "geoneophyte," etc.? Also, some might construe this to mean "establishing the geocaching heirarchy" of a particular area.

What, for that matter, denotes an "experienced" geocacher? One cacher I know once suggested to me that 100 finds is the geocaching equivalent of "coming of age," or "geocaching respectability." Hmm ... But several of the best geocaching adventures I've done have been orchestrated by a low-find cacher; of course, many of the lamest ones were also set by individuals with few finds.

But if we turn that around, and replace "low-find" with "30(50, 75, etc.) finds" and "few" with "many," the statement appears, to me, to be equally true.

quote:
Originally posted by RedwoodRed, Steak N Eggs and Family:

Learning the proper way to place a good or great cache can only be done with knowing what a great cache IS.

I don't agree. But I do agree it requires effort and preparation . . . specifically, forethought.

Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I agree to a certain extent, but what precisely, constitutes a "new cacher," "geoneophyte," etc.? Also, some might construe this to mean "establishing the geocaching heirarchy" of a particular area.

What, for that matter, denotes an "experienced" geocacher? One cacher I know once suggested to me that 100 finds is the geocaching equivalent of "coming of age," or "geocaching respectability." Hmm ... But several of the best geocaching adventures I've done have been orchestrated by a low-find cacher; of course, many of the lamest ones were also set by individuals with few finds.

QUOTE]

BassoonPilot...a perfect example of this is "Team_Epitome" which I believe you know. Collectively we have hundreds of finds, but not a single one logged to that account. We dont log finds on the team account, yet still I remember some folks (after not being able to find a cache we did) saying that we obviously had no idea what we were doing since we hadnt logged a single find. Others suggested that the cache wasnt real and that we created a fake account. Well, ask BassoonPilot if it was real, and if it was a novice attempt.

As I have said in so many posts now, statistics mean absolutely nothing. It amazes me that anyone would judge anothers ability based on how many finds they have. There are cachers that have 50 finds, but none of them are higher than a 3/3. Does that make them better than a guy with 7 finds, but all of them 5/5?

Think about it.

The first few caches we found needed repair so we started carrying notebooks, pencils, baggies and some extra loot for the nearly empty ones.

Some people thrive on competition and will always be looking at the numbers. To me the only number that matters is my own because it represents a personal victory - 30 times I was outside walking instead of parked on the couch thinking I can't do anything my knee hurts.

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

... a perfect example of this is "Team_Epitome" ... we have hundreds of finds, but not a single one logged to that account. We dont log finds on the team account, yet still I remember some folks (after not being able to find a cache we did) saying that we obviously had no idea what we were doing since we hadnt logged a single find.

Yes, I remember that well, and indeed it remains a supreme effort. But just in the metro-nyc area alone, we have several cachers who apparently "trade" under their own names who have orchestrated excellent caches from the very beginning. Off the top of my head, I would have to mention BrianSnat, The Magster (I believer her owner Pete helps out icon_wink.gif ), Artful Dodger, Marty621, good King Pellinore, and the venerable Cache_Ninja.

quote:

As I have said in so many posts now, statistics mean absolutely nothing. ...

I tend to agree with this, especially when it comes to placing caches, but anybody who has shown the tenacity to amass a really high number of finds has invariably learned many a trick along the way . . . even if it was in spite of their best efforts. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 16, 2002 at 03:26 PM.]

quote:

... a perfect example of this is "Team_Epitome" ... we have hundreds of finds, but not a single one logged to that account. We dont log finds on the team account, yet still I remember some folks (after not being able to find a cache we did) saying that we obviously had no idea what we were doing since we hadnt logged a single find.

Yes, I remember that well, and indeed it remains a supreme effort. But just in the metro-nyc area alone, we have several cachers who apparently "trade" under their own names who have orchestrated excellent caches from the very beginning. Off the top of my head, I would have to mention BrianSnat, The Magster (I believer her owner Pete helps out icon_wink.gif ), Artful Dodger, Marty621, good King Pellinore, and the venerable Cache_Ninja.

quote:

As I have said in so many posts now, statistics mean absolutely nothing. ...

I tend to agree with this, especially when it comes to placing caches, but anybody who has shown the tenacity to amass a really high number of finds has invariably learned many a trick along the way . . . even if it was in spite of their best efforts. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 16, 2002 at 03:26 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I carry extra pens, ziplock baggies, and a small notebook. I've replaced damaged bags and missing pens on numerous occasions, and provided a new logbook for a cache ... Fix what may be damaged or gone missing. Beyond that, it's really the cache owner's responsibility.

PS, I'm with you 100% on this one. That's exactly what I carry along with my assortment of trade items, plus I bring 20' of duct-tape rolled up on a piece of plastic in a Zip-Loc snack bag.

icon_rolleyes.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I carry extra pens, ziplock baggies, and a small notebook. I've replaced damaged bags and missing pens on numerous occasions, and provided a new logbook for a cache ... Fix what may be damaged or gone missing. Beyond that, it's really the cache owner's responsibility.

PS, I'm with you 100% on this one. That's exactly what I carry along with my assortment of trade items, plus I bring 20' of duct-tape rolled up on a piece of plastic in a Zip-Loc snack bag.

icon_rolleyes.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

We haven't carried a repair kit as such (but will start after reading this thread). We do carry extra baggies and from work picked up some dessicant packets out of packing boxes to put in with the log book. It should help with condensation and at least keep the log useable. I love the duct tape idea and will put that in the 'cachepack' too before this afternoons outing.