Is publicity a good thing?

Guest jbwcpa

Guest jbwcpa

We all get excited everytime we hear mention or read about geocaching in the media. My question is is this a good thing?

I don't mean the articles that misrepresent geocaching. I'm talking about the ones that acurrately portray geocaching and shed a positive light on the recreation.

Here's my concern. When I go on a hunt, I like to find the cache myself (or with my group, i.e. family.) If geocaching continues to grow in population, I won't have any problems finding the cache. I'll just have to follow everybody else. This is especially a problem in metropolitan areas where you have a high population density. Maybe I should move to Wyoming or Alaska.

By the way, before anybody goes there, I do agree that we need positive publicity so people don't think we're just a bunch of barbarians raping the land. I would just like to be able to turn around without running into another geocacher.

Just my opinion. What do you think?

Guest Peter Scholtz

Not much choice in South Africa as it hasn't taken off yet.

I'm actively seeking media coverage and will finally get an interview on Radio 702, our largest talk radio station. (Not me, I don't do public speaking!)

Unfortunately when the media bites, they don't let go. So once you get the media you want, you can't control it from then on ...

So yes, the fast growth because of the publicity could be a bad thing, but I don't see any other way of doing it. At least the Early Cachers have debated many issues and come to excellent conclusions that should help ...

1/2c

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by jbwcpa:

Is this a good thing? Just my opinion. What do you think?

I've been around since March, and welcome any and all newcomers. I do notice that you just registered for Groundspeak in August yourself - although I don't know how long you've been caching. Just a little perspective - I'm not bragging or anything icon_wink.gif

Unless your name is Jeremy, Mike or Dave (although he isn't still around most of the time) - we've all come into this activity recently. Each new news story brings an influx of Neocachers. But as with anything trendy, there will be a large number that will try it out for a few weeks and decide it's not for them. They'll leave and we'll have to start monitoring their caches for them.

Sure, left unchecked, there could conceivably come a point when the publicity brings in so many cachers that there's a line to sign a log book, but I don't think we're anywhere near there yet.

I live in a metro area, I've only ran into other cachers twice - once on my first cache in March, and once again just in July. In a city and suburbs of over 4 Million people, we just had a local gathering on July 14, and had 60 people show up (and were amazed).

Bottom line is that new blood brings new ideas - and hopefully new caches as well. I welcome any and all who want to Geocache - whether they just hide, just seek or a combination. There's plenty of coordinates for all.

Also, the media has a very short attention span, usually driven by the movie studios. If Fox hadn't used Project APE and Geocaching as a publicity stunt for their Planet of the Apes movie this summer, I doubt that many of the stories would have been pursued. Once winter hits and caching activity dies down in the north, and once there's no movie using Geocaching as a plug, I doubt that there will be too many stories. Geocaching has had its Elvis Year this summer and will be old news next summer - leaving all the more caches for us to find icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

quote:

Is this a good thing? Just my opinion. What do you think?

I've been around since March, and welcome any and all newcomers. I do notice that you just registered for Groundspeak in August yourself - although I don't know how long you've been caching. Just a little perspective - I'm not bragging or anything icon_wink.gif

Unless your name is Jeremy, Mike or Dave (although he isn't still around most of the time) - we've all come into this activity recently. Each new news story brings an influx of Neocachers. But as with anything trendy, there will be a large number that will try it out for a few weeks and decide it's not for them. They'll leave and we'll have to start monitoring their caches for them.

Sure, left unchecked, there could conceivably come a point when the publicity brings in so many cachers that there's a line to sign a log book, but I don't think we're anywhere near there yet.

I live in a metro area, I've only ran into other cachers twice - once on my first cache in March, and once again just in July. In a city and suburbs of over 4 Million people, we just had a local gathering on July 14, and had 60 people show up (and were amazed).

Bottom line is that new blood brings new ideas - and hopefully new caches as well. I welcome any and all who want to Geocache - whether they just hide, just seek or a combination. There's plenty of coordinates for all.

Also, the media has a very short attention span, usually driven by the movie studios. If Fox hadn't used Project APE and Geocaching as a publicity stunt for their Planet of the Apes movie this summer, I doubt that many of the stories would have been pursued. Once winter hits and caching activity dies down in the north, and once there's no movie using Geocaching as a plug, I doubt that there will be too many stories. Geocaching has had its Elvis Year this summer and will be old news next summer - leaving all the more caches for us to find icon_biggrin.gif

Guest brokenwing

It seems to me the possibility of running into lots of other geocachers on the same hunt is dependent on the caches per players ratio. As long as new players are encouraged to hide as well as seek, the ratio should prevent the scenario you described from happening.

Keep in mind that the US has about 85% of the caches placed, but if you look at the number of caches divided into the landmass of the US, that is only about 1 cache every 850 square miles! In all other countries in the world, that ratio is even bigger! (Yes, I know that in populated areas caches are closer together. The point is that there are still LOTS of places for caches left.)

Remember too, only a small number of people will see the media spot, decide to get more info, and actually get involved in the sport. As Markwell mentioned, many people will play for a while and quit.

Like any activity, geocaching will eventually reach a terminal number of people that will play. What is that number? I wish I knew. It could be 50,000 or 50 million. Either way, once that point is reached, equilibrium must be maintained in the cache/player ratio, or the number of players will drop to accommodate it.

After all, how many of you would continue to play if you did have to wait in line? My guess is that you?d all get disgusted and quit. In this way, the equilibrium would be restored.

Thanks,

brokenwing (So much for the economics theory lesson.)

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Isn't it funny that someone that has been at this for only 5 months is an "old timer"? icon_wink.gif

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Isn't it funny that someone that has been at this for only 5 months is an "old timer"? icon_wink.gif

I'd love media coverage. In my area the first cache placed here besides my own was placed a few days ago.

I try to forget where I placed my caches so I can go hunt for them but it just doesn't work.

I live in an area that is filled with outdoors enthusiasts. I know tons of GPS users yet until know I have been the only geocacher here.

So if a couple of media articles get a few more people in my area into the hobby then great.

Guest prv8eye

plaints of harassment on the highway, movie theaters and other places became common at the police departments.

As GPS prices fall, I'm afraid we're going to find Geocaching turn from a techie or family recreation into a teenage or Bubba way to find some "free stuff" while partying in the woods.

Hope I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the second time .

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest Peter Scholtz

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

As GPS prices fall, ...

I can't imagine it would reach the saturation of mobile phones any time soon, so I doubt it would reach $50 for quite a few years.

Then again Nokia might just add one to the next generation phone ...

------------------

Peter Scholtz

www.biometrics.co.za

Guest Vagabond

Well I've been caching since Feb. 17th this year am I an old timer ?? I've logged 61 caches ran into three other cachers in all that time, most of these caches have been within 35 miles of my zip code.

I tend to agree with some of the others, that some try it for a few caches and drop out, others like myself enjoy it and run it into the ground, LOL

Guest Hawk-eye

I placed my first cache on the 13th of Jan.-01. So I've seen quite a bit of growth ... especially in the last 4 months ... amazing. On the publicity thing ... mixed emotions .. like someone said before ... we can't have it both ways ... Sort of like fly fishing ... in the 60's and 70's it was hard to get some types of materials to tie flys ... then the yuppie fly fishing boom in the 80's made a lot of materials readily available ... good? Maybe ... but now a dry fly neck costs about 6 times as much ... and it's hard ... even now ... to find a peaceful lonely spot to fly fish ...

I guess we just have to hang on and see where it goes ... all the good and the bad.

Guest Eoghan

My guess is that this hobby is rocketing its way up as a major fad. I expect that it will peak quickly (a few years) and then taper off to a much smaller level. At that point those of us still interested can continue to do our thing with a little more stability. My concerns are that public policy towards the activity will also be decided in the peak stage based on an expected increase in the activity rather than a slide towards some lower plateau. That could mean more effort in reducing the restrictions for hose who stick with it into its mature stage.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Considering the publicity has been favorable, not a problem. It would have taken alot longer for me to find out about it had it not been the CNN bit in Feb.

As for saturation, I'l go back to the 'virtual caching' I originaly got the GPS for, finding bouys in the fog/dark.

Like this one : N 41d 37.50, W 70d 17.30 ...

(R"6" fl R 4s)

HEY ! my first 'virtual cache'!!! Take the ferry to Nantucket to see it. icon_smile.gif

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Considering the publicity has been favorable, not a problem. It would have taken alot longer for me to find out about it had it not been the CNN bit in Feb.

As for saturation, I'l go back to the 'virtual caching' I originaly got the GPS for, finding bouys in the fog/dark.

Like this one : N 41d 37.50, W 70d 17.30 ...

(R"6" fl R 4s)

HEY ! my first 'virtual cache'!!! Take the ferry to Nantucket to see it. icon_smile.gif

Guest makaio

I started in Sept of last year, and while I don't gt out as much as most, I have only run into 3 fellow cachers during my outings. I don't see it being a problem now nor in the future for various reasons mentioned above.

As for cell phones with integrated GPSRs - they've already designed them and will probably hit the market with them soon.

Guest bunkerdave

It appears to me that we are still in the fairly early stage of adopting GPS as a everyday technology. I meet very few people who know how one works or how to use it. I think we have a few strong years left, of the kind of growth we have seen (oh NO!) before things settle down very much. You also have to observe that this is a GLOBAL activity, and the world does not necessarily run on U.S. time. (Really?)

Personally, I would like to see enough caches out there, at least within a day's drive of my home, that I could find one a week for the rest of my life and never find them all. Let's see, I'm 30, life expectancy 80-ish, that is right around 2500 caches within 400 miles of my home. You guys get busy with my retirement plan, will you?! I will be surprised if Utah doesn't have that many (2500) by the time George Bush leaves office. Any bets? Then again, I could always go on tour. Any body want to sell a bus?

Guest Gliderguy

Just for comparison, I live in Albuquerque, which nearly has half the entire population for the state of New Mexico. I recently visited two caches within 10 miles of my home, and probably only 8 miles from downtown. It was approximately 10 days before anyone else logged those caches. I have no way of knowing how many other people might have visited them without posting their visit here though. I would say from looking at the log books most people who write in the log post here also.

If maybe 1 out of 3 Cachers also place a cache, I dont think you will ever see a line to sign a logbook.

Guest kbraband

han this summer. Two reasons: no mosquitoes and no poison ivy. Also, winter is such a great time to be out in the woods. You have to know what you're doing and be dressed appropriately. I'm looking forward to the changing of the seasons.

Guest jbwcpa

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

I don't think it *will* die down during winter. Personally, I enjoyed caching last winter just as much, if not more, than this summer

Geocaching in winter in Wisconsin?!?! Man, you got it bad.

Guest kbraband

quote:

Geocaching in winter in Wisconsin?!?! Man, you got it bad.

Hey, it's beautiful up here. Nature doesn't shut down just because some humans can't take the cold.

Guest ACotttingham

I can't wait for the first freeze in Kansas to tackle a pile of "on-hold" caches. Call me a wimp, but I would rather not fight the mosquitos, ticks and poisonous plants for a cache. As far as the original question, my family has been geo-caching since Father's Day thanks to a great article in The Kansas City Star. There have been a couple of occasions when we have followed the "trampled grass trail" to a cache location, but the new enthusiasm in the sport has increased our caches from 50 to 80 in the Kansas City area in just the last month. If new members mean more caches, bring them on!

Guest stickandpuck

We are very new - discovered it from an article in Entertainment Weekly about the Project APE caches. We have been out twice, found 5 caches and run into other people twice. That seems like a lot. Granted, both times were on Saturday afternoons and both are urban caches, but we were surprised to run into other people doing the same thing we were. I guess next time we'll expect it.

[This message has been edited by stickandpuck (edited 14 August 2001).]