GEOCACHER HUMOR, WIT & INSPIRATION

Over the months, the use of signature lines or “sigs” by many who post to these forums has been a controversial subject. Some like ‘em, some hate ‘em and most don’t care one way or the other.

We thought it might be fun to have a place where users can read everybody’s “sigs” and then use this topic to praise or pan them based on their merits or lack thereof.

This topic is for those of us who enjoy creating (or borrowing) signature lines and reading the “sigs” used by others. We sincerely hope that those who don’t like “the cutesy” lines or the graphics occasionally associated with them will not post negatively to this topic.

http://www.seesthewind.com/cacher_humor.htm will take you to the page in the Geocaching section of our website where we have listed scores of current and past “sigs” in alphabetical order by “Author’s” name. We plan to add to the list on a (more or less) regular basis.

As indicated above, this topic is the place to tell others which are your favorite “sigs” and why you think they’re worthy of comment. You may wish to criticize a users “sig” because you don’t agree with some aspect of it, don’t understand its meaning or just think its lame. If you must “slam” someone’s “sig”, please don’t be cruel. This also applies to those who want to criticize or slam our humble efforts in creating this topic.

There are a number of reasons why your “sig” may not be listed. The most likely reason is that we haven’t come across it yet. We just started this little project and it’s definitely a work-in-progress. Another possibility is that we didn’t recognize your “sig” as such. If you think that’s a probability, please let us know by email. Conversely, we may have listed a “sig” for you when your humor and wit was only part of your post. Also, we apologize for any typos.

When you visit the “Geocacher Humor, Wit & Inspiration” page, we hope you will also look at the rest of our Geocaching section and, if you’re so inclined, other sections of the site. Most personal websites are and always will be works-in-progress. Seesthewind.com is no exception. We would also be pleased to have you sign our guestbook.

A note to Jeremy and the other fine people at Geocaching.com: If you find any aspect of this post objectionable or not in keeping with your rules and guidelines let us know what needs to be fixed. If the topic must be deleted for any reason, we’ll understand (in spite of the countless hours we have invested in it) icon_smile.gif

eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message.

I love what you've put together but I have to go to JFK so I can't read them all right now. Great job!

I do have lots of favorites and as a matter of fact was reading your sig aloud just two days ago to someone to get a laugh out of it.

Cache you later,

Planet

Gosh, I didn't know someone was watching! Nice job, collecting these. It inspired me to make my regularly scheduled sig line change.

Hint: most of my sig lines are stolen or adapted from coolsig.com. It's not like I have a sense of humor or anything. There are no funny lawyers, only comedians who made career mistakes.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Please attend our seminar, "Geocaching for Time Travelers," which will be held two weeks ago.

Here's my (rather long) Pippy Longstockings sig.

---------------

---------------

I don't know what you are going to do, but I know I can't lie around and be lazy. I am a Thing-Finder, and when you're a Thing-Finder you don't have a minute to spare....The whole world is full of things, and somebody has to look for them. And that's just what a Thing-Finder does.

-Pippi Longstocking

One of my favorites comes from GeoQuest ... almost nosed my Coke first time I read it:

quote:
"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I don't usually use a sig in these forums (actually, I don't usually post, I just lurk), but there's one I'm partial to and use elsewhere. It comes from, if I'm not mistaken, an Infocom game called "A Mind Forever Voyaging."

quote:
Memory is a prism through which yesterday's light is passed.

I became a member in September of 2001. I became a Charter member today. This post is to see if my generic title has been changed to what I changed it to. (Actually, this is a shameless way to bump my topic to the top) icon_biggrin.gif

I need more cool "sig" lines. Keep 'em coming in.

A few comments on this topic:

I was hoping that more members would see the topic and submit their "sig" lines. It's quite time consuming to "publish" them let alone to ferret them out from hundreds or thousands of posts to the forums. More than a hundred have been listed so far. Most of these came from posts that I read rather than being submitted. My thanks go to those that did submit their lines.

I had not planned to ask those who read the list of lines on my website to rate them. I was hoping, though, that some would comment on which ones they considered to be particularly funny, witty or inspirational. Would it be a good idea to insert a place in each listing where the lines could be ranked on a scale of say 1 to 5? They could then be sorted by ranking and placed on a separate page. That way those who look at the listings could see which ones are considered to be the best of the lot. The alphabetical listing would be retained so members can easily find their line(s).

I'm linking the "sig" lines authors to their respective geocaching.com profiles. Is this a good idea? Does anybody object to it?

ANY SUGGESTIONS (INCLUDING DROPIC THE TOPIC)?