Is this a "yuppie" game?

In several troll threads here and most recently on the Webby award site, I've seen opponents of geocaching refer to us players as "yuppies", obviously used in a negative sense. Where do they get this idea? A game that's next to free; involves, in fact, a good deal of altruism; asks you to pick up other people's trash; and gets you outside and learning local history? How does this fit the stereotypical, aloof, rich snob caricature that this use of "yuppie" brings to mind? Does it come from a perception that a GPS is some extravagant luxury item?

I realize most of you probably are as confused as I am and I'm just feeding trolls. I also don't mean to offend anyone who is a yuppie; it's the trolls' usage that gives it a negative connotation. This just really confuses me when I see it, and I have to vent my pain.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

Wow - I thought I missed the age group to be called a yuppie. I thought it was 'techno-geeks' or 'outdoor lovers' - not yuppies.

I saw a (I think it was) Lexus commercial the other day when one of the dreams of the driver was 'hike the appalacian trail'). Who knew backpacking would become yuppified....!

Both the pot and the kettle were filthy - covered in soot and overcooked food. - Author Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

There are also rednecks but they won't admit they geocache.

I resemble that remark

With applogies to Jeff Foxworthy:

You might be a high tech redneck if the value of your truck doubles when you put your GPS in it.

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

There are also rednecks but they won't admit they geocache.

I resemble that remark

With applogies to Jeff Foxworthy:

You might be a high tech redneck if the value of your truck doubles when you put your GPS in it.

There's an exception to every rule. Speaking of rednecks, how did you learn to type?

Hmmm...Maybe that's the definition of a redneck yuppie.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Mad-Mac:

Soccer mom's and people who search for caches in their SUV's are yuppies (or anybody that lives in Vancouver).

Hmm, must we rely on the same type of stereotyping and assumptions that initiated this thread to cubby hole people?

Check my profile - I'm far from being a yuppie and so is my wife. Yea, our kids love soccer and she ends up driving them - so what, who cares? As well, we drive SUV's and we drive them to all sorts of places, including caches (we park our dreaded SUV's and walk into caches like most of us do). We own SUV's because they make getting around in the winter in northern MI a whole heck of a lot easier. We could care less about what everyone else drives, or what they think of us. icon_rolleyes.gif

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Usual Suspects - Terrapin & Bug

"Counting stars by candlelight, all are dim, but one is bright....."

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

I am fortunate to have been given a hand-me-down GPS E-Trex, so I can Cache on my own. My boyfriend has a Jeep Cherokee and takes me to the ones that are more difficult to get to. I think it is relative; some people do not have the money to drop on a GPS. They may also not realize that it is an inexpensive sport after the GPS purchase. I do think that Cachers are doing the community well by cleaning up, getting outdoors and appreciating what our world has to offer. It is much better than watching TV.

L

Me a yuppie? hmmmm ... let me check.

Vehicle? - Same old Ford truck I've been driving for the last 17 years.

Desk? - What's that?

Office? - See above

Work Clothes? - Jeans, steel toed boots, and hard hat.

Casual clothes? Jeans, Bib Overalls, Flannel shirts, and t-shirts

Dress clothes? Same as above, but with the fewest holes. icon_wink.gif

Hobbies? (other than Geocaching) - Huntin', Fishin', whittlin', hikin', and Nascar.

Cafe Latte or Black Coffee? Black ... and strong enough to float a horseshoe! icon_biggrin.gif

Least favorite movie of all time? The Big Chill

hmmmmmm ... I'm still not sure. I always figured I was Hillbilly ... maybe I'm just a yuppie in denial. icon_razz.gif

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

[This message was edited by Cloak_N_Dagger on April 16, 2003 at 12:22 AM.]

Now wait a second here, I thought the yuppie cachers were the people who ordered the GPS feature for in their car, oh wait they don't geocache, nor do they know what a waypoint is, they just think its cool to tell their friends their car has a GPS...

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur