gps contest

gamaras

I think the question warrants an answer.

First, I think that this thing could work, but I think also, it is a commercial idea and could not be advertised here unless you had an agreement (read, paid) with Jeremy.

But, for this type of thing to work, it would have to be a lot more of a challenge than just coordinates.

You also would have to figure out a way to get enough people to pony up the $30 to offset your prize money. Many of my good ideas are just that, but never get realized because they take a lot of marketing capital before they can fly.

The best way that I have seen this type of thing work is by using a puzzle book. Here is an example. That way, for the fee, each person gets a nice puzzle book and the first to find the treasure wins. Without the book, it sounds more like a pyramid scheme or a lottery. Both are too close to gambling for many people's taste. If I bought a well made puzzle book for the fee, I would not feel so bad if I wasn't the one to find the treasure. But, then the question comes to, "Are you a good author?"

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

Personally, I think this is a bad idea. There is already plenty of FTF competition without money being involved. Then again, you could look to the TEAM KFWB caches as an example, and they don't charge an 'entry fee'. If you read the logs, you can see that the money can bring out the best and worst in people.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I know that when you first come here, you have no posts, no finds, and no hides. In some people's eyes that makes you a troll. Hey, they are around, and certainly with those stats, you fit the profile.

But, I look at it differently. When you have no finds/hides, you also have no experience. So, you come to the game with fresh ideas and no preconceptions. Many of those will get wiped out as you get jaded like the rest of us. Many new ideas are actually not so new, and have actually been addressed in many posts and the faq. Many ideas are bad or just don't work the way you think they will. But, we all had them. I think my first idea that I posted in the forum was about making a really hard puzzle cache that would take a lot of research to solve it. I thought I was so original and I was going to revolutionize this sport single handedly. Well, needless to say, puzzle caches had been around a lot longer than I had. But, by reading a lot more than posting, I got a feel for what types of ideas would fly. Also, after having been around a lot in here, I can ask for some feedback for some ideas and have people take me more seriously, as they know that I am not just trying to get a reaction.

Then when you get some finds under your belt, not only do you earn more street cred in here, but you also get a better idea about what types of things are out there. Now, don't let the traditional caches that you find ever cause you to limit your imagination as this sport has much room for creativity. But, with a little more experience, you won't be the guy who comes up with, "Hey, how about a cache hidden behind the counter at my uncle's cigar shop?"

Now, go have fun.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

You do realize you will need 333.333333333333333 cachers to pay you your entry fee to break even? How many cachers in your area? According to your profile you are either brand new at this or have started an account just to pose this question without repercussions. If you are new, welcome to the game, come hide your bucks my way. I'll be more than happy to search them out. if this is a way for you to make a quick buck, you're in the wrong place.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

Seems like something smaller would appeal on a local level. Possibly one of the organized groups would do it in their area. I used to fish in smaller buddy bass tournaments where our $30 entry fee was thrown into a pot and 100% paid to the winner.

This was great for awhile but it kept growing. Last time we did it there were 40 boats. We just wanted to fish, not organize a full blown tournament.

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Tuppence a bag, tuppence... tuppence... tuppence a bag...

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

Troll or not I love a good Mary Poppins reference!

Thanks Planet!!

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

I'm surprised no one has referenced GPS Goldrush It's been an annual event held at Mohawk ski are in Ct 2001 and then 2002 at Killington Vt ski area. They get all kinds of sponsorships from gps and sports gear manufacturers and make it an event cache with multiple cash and cache prizes. There's not a whole lot on the webpage right now but if that's the kind of thing your into might get some tips from them. You can read past goldrush chatter in the forums by doing a search.