Attn: Jeepers

makaio

Send him a note if you think you can help. See his other thread

===

Hi,

I'm a writer for Jeep magazine seeking some help. I'm writing a story about geocaching -- using a global positioning system to find coordinates where someone has planted a box containing trinkets and a logbook. I want

to visit with a family that does geocaching in their Jeep. Ideally, this family also would be members of an ethnic minority. Any help would be welcome. Message me at dmodonnells@att.net,

Thanks,

Tom O'Donnell

===

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Originally posted by JeeperDad:

Come on out to Utah. We have tons of caches and cachers with jeeps and Fall is the best time to be here.

Do they have ethnic minorities in Utah?

I just had to poke at what I find to be a very strange request.

Jamie

quote:
Donovan McNabb

Uhhh.... who? *goes Googling*

[edit]

Oh yeah, not a football fan, so I forgot about that. Different issue, not the appropriate forum for discussion of it, I don't think. Set up a private message and include me if you'd like my mostly useless opinion (again - not a football fan).

---------------------

16x16_smiley-mad.gif Don't hurt me. I'm new here.

quote:
Originally posted by New England n00b:

quote:
Donovan McNabb

Uhhh.... who? *goes Googling*

[edit]

Oh yeah, not a football fan, so I forgot about that. Different issue, not the appropriate forum for discussion of it, I don't think. Set up a private message and include me if you'd like my mostly useless opinion (again - not a football fan).

No discussion. Just a pithy comment.

mystats.php?userid=Bull%20Moose&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

quote:

*sigh*

May I ask why race is even an issue in geocaching?

Don't even ask!!!

I did in the other thread in the Southeastern forum and my response was... shall we say edited/deleted by the moderator. I emailed this moderator to ask him why he thought it was inappropriate and I got a not so nice answer and was told, I'm not going to argue it...

I even mentioned in my email that I did want to argue why, I just wanted to know his line of thought on why it was inappropriate. I guess I should mention that I wrote nothing obvious insulting but did make a joke about other features he may want to include and those features could be assoicated with people of lower socio-economic status.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

He explains the ethnic request in the other thread. Apparently, it's at the request of his publisher.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Oh... Well there you go, that's ok then! icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

OK, not OK. The point of the thread was to locate Jeeper/geocachers, not whether or not the writer, his editor or the magazine are being politically correct. Amazing how a simple request can get spun into a politcal debate icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:

OK, not OK. The point of the thread was to locate Jeeper/geocachers, not whether or not the writer, his editor or the magazine are being politically correct. Amazing how a simple request can get spun into a politcal debate icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

No debate here, but I would encourage anyone who was thinking about participating in this to think again. Race plays no part, and should play no part, in this or any other activity that a magazine would be writing about. It's a specious arguement to say *this isn't the place for such a discussion* because this is the place the question was asked and the request made, therefore, this is where it should be discussed.

I say again, the mention of racial preference as to the participants is a non-starter. Bad form, poor judgement. Our liberal media at work.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

Good points, BT. As for me, I don't care much what their reasons for making that request were, just thought I'd make other Jeepers aware.

Those who want to continue discussing racial/ethnic issues and our liberal media, the floor is yours. Enjoy icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:

The point of the thread was to locate Jeeper/geocachers, not to complain about the thread becoming a discussion on whether or not the writer, his editor or the magazine are being politically correct. icon_razz.gif

mystats.php?userid=Bull%20Moose&vopt=&txtdata=Stats%20Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=wsga.jpg

quote:

*sigh*

May I ask why race is even an issue in geocaching?

Because whites need to be made to feel like second class citizens, don't you know? Look at corporate websites where they make it a point to underrepresent whites in all the photos.

Funny that in all the world, the only decent countries that everyone wants to move to were made primarily by whites and other countries are largely dung heaps. But let's not let facts get in the way of Political Correctness.

Here, this is much better:

Hi,

I'm a writer for Jeep magazine seeking some help. I'm writing a story about geocaching -- using a global positioning system to find coordinates where someone has planted a box containing trinkets and a logbook. I want

to visit with a family that does geocaching in their Jeep. Ideally, this family also would be white. Any help would be welcome. Message me at dmodonnells@att.net,

Thanks,

Tom O'Donnell

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

No debate here, but I would encourage anyone who was thinking about participating in this to think again. Race plays no part, and should play no part, in this or any other activity that a magazine would be writing about. It's a specious arguement to say *this isn't the place for such a discussion* because this is the place the question was asked and the request made, therefore, this is where it should be discussed.

I say again, the mention of racial preference as to the participants is a non-starter. Bad form, poor judgement. Our liberal media at work.

Ok, let's try again...same tune, different lyrics...

-----

Send him a note if you think you can help. See his other thread

===

Hi,

I'm a writer for [pick virtually any major news] magazine seeking some help. I'm writing a story about geocaching -- using a global positioning system to find coordinates where someone has planted a box containing trinkets and a logbook. I want

to visit with a family that does geocaching [who also belongs to the group represented by subscribers to the magazine]. Ideally, this family also would be members of the Christian religion. Any help would be welcome. Message me at someone@somewhere.com,

Thanks,

Someone

How do you feel about that? Be honest.

Because, as we all know, group membership (whatever the kind of group) shouldn't be an issue as long as it's a group that you don't belong to.

If you say you're not Christian, then replace 'Christian' with any word that describes your beliefs or origins and see if you feel any differently.

You said "liberal media" so what if it said 'Conservative' instead of Christian or ethnic minority? Would you feel differently then?

How about Texan?

If you say nothing should matter except being a geocacher, then your own words reveal that you are fibbing just to make a point. Whether the media's liberal or conservative shouldn't matter according to your own argument. Yet, you say "liberal" media as if that must automatically be a bad thing. What if the media was decidedly conservative? Would that be ok?

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

Funny that in all the world, the only decent countries that everyone wants to move to were made primarily by whites and other countries are largely dung heaps. But let's not let facts get in the way of Political Correctness.

Actually, they were made by the non-white slaves of white people after the ethnic cleansing of the original indiginous population. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good rant.

BTW - I agree that ethnic origins should have no part in deciding who they want to portray in their article or advertisments. Nor do I agree with reverse discrimination or extreme political correctness.

Gorak

I read this and the other thread and I am shaking head. Why? Not because of "political correctness" as has been suggested. Let's review somethings-

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

I would agree with you, but read the response from the original requester:

Thanks for all the replies.

The ethnic requirement (more like a real hope) comes from the publishers. Jeep knows that not every Jeep owner is white, and it wants its magazine to reflect the diverse makeup of its clientele. In the publishing business, such diversity rarely appears without making a special effort. White people are hardly excluded -- they make up by far the majority of the subjects of articles. It's not political correctness -- it's good business.

If you are a minority, a geocacher and have a Jeep, yes, you can be in the article. the other element we'd like to include is the family element -- a family that goes geocaching in a Jeep. I've just been informed that if we have all the other right elements, we would be willing to rent a Grand Cherokee to carry the family on a geocache adventure -- with me in tow, of course.

Thanks,

TO

I agree with TO for this reason- I know a lot of minorities that own Jeeps, and participate in many activities, yet the publications that highlight those activities never bother in be inclusive. In little words, they never include a single minority in their publications. Is it "liberal" to attempt to include some of everyone that buys their product??

Sam Lowrey, why does including nonwhites equate to minimizing whites? While you as a white peron may not have a problem with not seeing minority in a publication, on a website, and etc- I DO! I spend money just like you, I live here, pay taxes, and work just like you. The request was just that. You responded in that thread, and here with the same "white people are second-class citizens comment". That comment is SO offbase, I can't start to address it or the other (I hope) pithy comment about "finding some coloreds".

I worked for AT&T for several years before going back to school and starting to teach Engineering. AT&T's employees Magazine had a depiction of people in different countries using telephones- in Africa, there was a monkey using the phone. I guess the "liberal" media there wasn't so liberal. The company apologized, and blamed the "error" on the freelance artist hired by the outside publishing company. Way to be politically correct and underrepresent whites. The African American employees were ticked, while some other employees made comments about political correctness and affirmative action.

<Back to Geocaching> Pater47 commented that my wife and myself are probably the only minority couple that regularly participate in the forums. That might be true. Point is, we enjoy Geocaching. I enjoy the forums, but I cannot and will not sit back quietly while some of you display the types of attitudes that continue to cause trouble in this country. No, I'm not demanding you censor your speech, or be politically correct, I'm telling you that going to excercise my 1st amendment rights too- and maybe teach you something.

This thread has traveled so far off the road, you'd need a jeep to find it and get it back on track.

I would like to close this on the high note established in Team Tecmage's post.

If anyone is interested in responding to the offer made in the original post, they may do so. That was the purpose of the thread.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!