Hikers/Backpackers unite

solohiker

Wouldn't it be cool to have a long distance trail from St. Louis to Ft. Smith?

Well we already have parts of one. There are some folks within the National Park Service who don't have the vision of a John Muir or an Appalacian Trail in the heartland of the country.

If interested please respond to this thread. I can email more specifics on what you can do to help.

Thanks, Solohiker

I've heard talk of a Nationwide system of trails for hiking and biking. The guy that told me about it is a NPS employee who works on a couple of projects in the Chicago-Northwest Indiana area.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

I cam across an article that I found on the internet yesterday about a east coast trail they were talking about making. It was a couple years old, but apparantly Sen. Kerry of Massachusetts was pushing it. It's supposed to be a bike trail I believe all the way down the east coast. If htey ever do that, that would be an interesting ride for sure.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Feel free to add me to any email correspondence that you may have. I love hiking! In fact, check out this link:

http://localhikes.com/HikeData.ASP?DispType=4&ActiveHike=0&GetHikesStateID=&ID=4630

I live within a few miles of where the Appalachain Mtn Chain actually ends. Happy hiking/caching!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't started to create a Lewis and Clark trail, following the explorer's general route from Missouri to Oregon. It's not quite the Oregon Trail, but that's another possibility. A lot of the original Oregon Trail is now under water because of damming.

And knowing my luck, someone will Markwell me a link to the Oregon Trail or the Lewis & Clark Trail. icon_smile.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

In the San Francisco Bay Area, we're doing something similar. There's a project called the Bay Trail that will create trails that will encircle the bay. When it's done, it will be over 400 miles long and will go through 47 cities and 7 counties. About half is done now.

Folks will eventually be able to bike or hike completely around the bay and across every toll bridge.

Check it out on www.baytrail.com

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

If they can do it for those of us who enjoy motorized recreation, they should be able to do it for hikers. The Oregon Back Country Discovery Route connects the existing California Back Country Discovery Route to the in-progress Washington Back Country Discovery Route. Currently one can drive from the Oregon/Washington border (soon the Canadian border) all the way to Mexico almost completely on dirt/gravel roads and with minimal human contact other than those you run into on along the route.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

Hey folks, got a message from Solohiker. Said he got banned from the forums icon_confused.gif What did I miss? I didn't see anything on here about him getting banned. Last message I saw from him was in the sockpuppet forum.

If you want the information about the trails, I guess you might try emailing him through his profile. Or you can email me and when he sends me the info I will pass it on to you.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Hey folks, got a message from Solohiker. Said he got banned from the forums icon_confused.gif What did I miss? I didn't see anything on here about him getting banned. Last message I saw from him was in the sockpuppet forum.

Read the last post in this thread. I haven't seen him post since that incident. I suspect that might have had something to do with it.

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**