Virtual Caches

Trofeo

I prefer real caches, but I also do virtuals. My only quarrel with them is that it seems many geocachers try to turn every plaque in existence into a virtual, no matter how uninteresting, or insignificant. Also, some people "place" virtuals in spots that could easily take a real cache.

Virtuals do have their place, but I think they should only be used for unusual, interesting, or historically significant places where a real cache would be out of the question.

You still need to use your GPS to find your way to the "cache", so I don't see why they should be counted in a distinct category (unlike "locationless" caches).

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

If a coordinate is given. Then it is a Cache.

Some traditional Caches require less effort and less brain than virtuals. There are lame caches in both of these types. And if we don't like what is being offered then just don't go after it, find something that you really want to search for; for the pure enjoyment of a search and not to rack up my count. Look Mommy I have more than Billy!!

What is the difference between a TNLN and a virtual. Not much difference if you ask me.

And there is a lot of TNLN's out there, because of so many McD's in Caches. icon_razz.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

Yeah, I just don't get why so many people think that Virtuals "shouldn't count." Is it really that big of an issue in someone's life that a stranger's find count is comprised of finding metal boxes in interesting spots AND interesting spots without metal boxes? If Virtuals bug you, DON'T DO THEM. icon_razz.gif

There. Now I'm going to go place that Virtual in my backyard. I've got a really interesting pile of dirt back there... icon_wink.gif

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

Dude look down at your toes...if you can see them enjoy whatever reason it takes to get you out...or look at your kids and think about the day you get to spend with them...or the area you get to explore...if you want to do only 3+ finds, enjoy...or if your stats mean that much then you have a really adventure ahead of you cuz there are folks sitting at 200+...you can make it your own "rule" that you only do "real" caches and put it in your profile...

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I prefer real caches, but I also do virtuals. My only quarrel with them is that it seems many geocachers try to turn every plaque in existence into a virtual, no matter how uninteresting, or insignificant. Also, some people "place" virtuals in spots that could easily take a real cache.

I agree. In fact, I've started re-evaluating the virtuals I've created to see if I might find a way to change some of them into micro-caches.

Virtuals should be primarily for unique locations where a traditional cache is not practical. These would include places where placing a physical cache container is forbidden, or where a physical box would likely be plundered in short order. The key is the quality of the location, or the unique nature of the "hide."

25021_1200.gif

I find and log both types, but thats mainly because im in a fairly low density area. If giveen a choice i would like to find "normal" over other cache types. As the count isnt suppose to matter i really dont care how they are "scored".

Personally i think it would be nice if your *lumped* total could be broken down at the click of a button. To the numbers of tranditional(and how many multis, normals, and mircos), Virtuals, and locationless a profile has found

quote:
Originally posted by Trofeo:

What is everyone's opinion on virtual vs. normal caches in regards to logging them as finds? I personally think that virtual caches should not be counted like other caches. What's you opinion?Should virtual caches be logged in a separate category?

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

This reminds me of the bruhaha that occurs at the letterboxing site. When members post there, some include stat lists at the bottom of their message to indicate their level of activity - these become endless lists of letters and numbers, ie:

P=32 F=217 X=14 C=7 V=2 T=34 and so on and so on..... just made it as they go along. P=placed, F=found, X=exchanged, C=confiscated, blah, blah, blah.

Cachers who want to clarify their cache stats can include this info in their signature lines so we can laugh at them. But its only funny if you really believe that we care.....

A=actuals, V=virtuals, L=locationless, B=benchmarks, N=no find, NFNMF=no find, not my fault, IWHFIBIWGD=I would have found it but it was getting dark.......

Endless icon_rolleyes.gif

Even when I've gotten there I don't know where I am.