Ideas for items for film canister

Guest Khao Mun Gai

Guest Khao Mun Gai

What to put in a 35mm film canister cache?

The list so far:

Coins (golden dollar, foreign coins, state quarters)

Paper money

Toy paper money

StampsDice

But my creativity is ending here. Any thoughts?

Guest Markwell

I actually got a stash note (6 point font) on something akin to a laminated bookmark, and a log sheet ( half of an 8½x11 page) folded numerous times into a microcache, but that's all that would fit. I made sure that the seekers knew that there were no trinkets.

$1 Dollar Coins (new American dollars) fit nicely, and are a treat for the kids. There used to be toys out there called "Micromachines" and were very tiny cars and such. Due to swallowing, I think they took them off the market.

Guest mfratto

We used a canister for the first leg of a three-stop cache, and the film canister only had tags with the coordinates to the next cache on them.

Coins, beads, coupons, gift certificates, or movie tickets (anything foldable) might be ideas if you wanted to make a regular cache out of it.

Mauri

Guest Anton

nut

lock

bobber

45 slug

trout fly

bandaids

cuff links

fishing lure

small key ring

dodecahedron die

eyeglass repair kit

Photon II Micro Lite

watchband compass

air pump needle valve

coordinates to a cache

key & directions for use

Anton 10H/10F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 19 July 2001).]

if you make the log a long scroll, w/out folding it, and let it unwind once in there, there is still room for other things..

did someone say stickers? probably. i just skimmed above. small rubber frogs fit in mine.

Guest Moun10Bike

This technically falls under "Coins" which was mentioned above, but one thing I've put in small caches are those souvenir "squished" pennies that you can get at many tourist traps (the kind where you put a penny and two quarters in the machine, and it takes the penny, flattens it, and stamps an imprint pertaining to the site). I like to pick up lots of these and use them when visiting out-of-state and out-of-country caches.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

26H/65F/3C/2S/2X

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest Khao Mun Gai

Great ideas!

I noticed that there are only three caches in all of France - and only one in Paris.

I am going to be in Paris for the month of August and wanted to set some caches there.

I thought the least intrusive way would be to do it with 35mm file containers. I have devised a simple mechanism for attaching them underneath things (like park benches) using $0.40 worth of parts from the hardware store - a standard nylon clip and a piece of 3M double-sided mounting tape.

I am an American who has fallen love with Paris over the years and have a pantload of ideas for special places to place these caches. I am really looking forward to this!

Khao Mun Gai

Guest DHyslop

You know, I don't think film is a bad idea, especially in a cooler climate. Not anything you'd need to keep refrigerated or anything, but who wouldn't like to come across a roll of 400 film? Even better, a roll of TMAX or something, I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd really get a kick out of taking a roll of B&W, but have never thought about it before.

Keeping with photography though, if anyone in southern Wisconsin is planning on putting anything in caches anytime soon though, I'd really like to see a Jobo tabletop processing drum, or even a couple gallons of dektol icon_smile.gif

Dan

Guest DHyslop

You know, I don't think film is a bad idea, especially in a cooler climate. Not anything you'd need to keep refrigerated or anything, but who wouldn't like to come across a roll of 400 film? Even better, a roll of TMAX or something, I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd really get a kick out of taking a roll of B&W, but have never thought about it before.

Keeping with photography though, if anyone in southern Wisconsin is planning on putting anything in caches anytime soon though, I'd really like to see a Jobo tabletop processing drum, or even a couple gallons of dektol icon_smile.gif

Dan

Guest logscaler

How about glueing a small magnet to the outside bottom for putting onto metal? How about glueing two together for a log/cache combo? micky D's coupon(s) for free food?

Guest Dwarf

Hmmmm...Let me think. (Maybe these aren't GOOD ideas, just trying to think of things that would fit) BB's, A fuse, marble, Game piece, token, Tiny dice, a star scroll maybe (think they're to long), Those new sticker pictures, Temporary tattoos, Craker Jacks prizes, any of an array of minature collectables, an eyeglass repair kit, zippo flints, a bee sting cure vial, a rolled up tailors measuring tape, exotic beads for a necklace, fake blood capsules, expanding sponge capsules, sea monkeys, a salt packet (or pepper), Those individually wrapped cinnamon flavored toothpicks!, a stink bomb, a firecracker, a pull-pop, a ringlet of cap-gun ammo, rings, things from bubble-gum type machines (besides gum), miniature glow sticks, a chili-pepper, watch batteries, interesting pebbles, earrings, an incense cone, a guitar pick, a used cartridge, a make up brush, hat-pins, small patches, cuff-links, christmas tree light bulbs (or tiny ornaments), fishing weights (Not Hooks!), seeds (plant them as see what grows!), a page from a tiny bible with your favorite passage circled (don't worry, it isn't blasphemy to tear out a bible page), pendants, charm bracelet pieces, Camera batteries!, A fortune cookie fortune (just the paper), Anything you can "win" at Chuck E. Cheeses HAHA, Clothing buttons, a safety pin, tiny nail clippers, a minature harmonica, perfume samples, most samples you get in the mail, postage stamps, a pack of leads for your mechanical pencil, a tie clip, scrimshaw, halloween stuff (like fingernails), a mini-pak of chiklets, Film negatives, bobby-pins, reeds for woodwind instruments, Sewing machine thread thingies (not the spools of thread, the little metal things), a condom (blush), balloons (remember that balloons are a choking hazard), bulbs for mini-mag flashlights (these aren't exactly cheap!), an amonia inhalent (used to bring someone to who has passed out), a tiny map, a mini-padlock & key, tiny- seashells, tabasco sauce bottle, butterfly band-aids, circular band-aids, corn-pads, a coupon, food-coloring, a birthday candle, a spool of solder, a drill bit, nut, screw, bolt, amusing eraser tips, a whistle, string, a pencil sharpened all the way to the eraser, those little breath saver things from the liqour store, and uhhhh...a shrimp sandwich.... That's about it.

Guest Khao Mun Gai

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarf:

Hmmmm...Let me think. (Maybe these aren't GOOD ideas, just trying to think of things that would fit) BB's, A fuse, marble, Game piece, token, Tiny dice, a star scroll maybe (think they're to long), Those new sticker pictures, Temporary tattoos, Craker Jacks prizes, any of an array of minature collectables, an eyeglass repair kit, zippo flints, a bee sting cure vial, a rolled up tailors measuring tape, exotic beads for a necklace, fake blood capsules, expanding sponge capsules, sea monkeys, a salt packet (or pepper), Those individually wrapped cinnamon flavored toothpicks!, a stink bomb, a firecracker, a pull-pop, a ringlet of cap-gun ammo, rings, things from bubble-gum type machines (besides gum), miniature glow sticks, a chili-pepper, watch batteries, interesting pebbles, earrings, an incense cone, a guitar pick, a used cartridge, a make up brush, hat-pins, small patches, cuff-links, christmas tree light bulbs (or tiny ornaments), fishing weights (Not Hooks!), seeds (plant them as see what grows!), a page from a tiny bible with your favorite passage circled (don't worry, it isn't blasphemy to tear out a bible page), pendants, charm bracelet pieces, Camera batteries!, A fortune cookie fortune (just the paper), Anything you can "win" at Chuck E. Cheeses HAHA, Clothing buttons, a safety pin, tiny nail clippers, a minature harmonica, perfume samples, most samples you get in the mail, postage stamps, a pack of leads for your mechanical pencil, a tie clip, scrimshaw, halloween stuff (like fingernails), a mini-pak of chiklets, Film negatives, bobby-pins, reeds for woodwind instruments, Sewing machine thread thingies (not the spools of thread, the little metal things), a condom (blush), balloons (remember that balloons are a choking hazard), bulbs for mini-mag flashlights (these aren't exactly cheap!), an amonia inhalent (used to bring someone to who has passed out), a tiny map, a mini-padlock & key, tiny- seashells, tabasco sauce bottle, butterfly band-aids, circular band-aids, corn-pads, a coupon, food-coloring, a birthday candle, a spool of solder, a drill bit, nut, screw, bolt, amusing eraser tips, a whistle, string, a pencil sharpened all the way to the eraser, those little breath saver things from the liqour store, and uhhhh...a shrimp sandwich.... That's about it.

Wow

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

How about glueing a small magnet to the outside bottom for putting onto metal?

Bringing a magnet, even a small one, in close proximity to a GPS may not be a good idea.

Guest logscaler

I would worry more about getting the magnet close to the compass then I would the gps. Cache at 180 degrees and three tenths of a mile? Right this way. Huh, I wonder where it is?

Guest Dwarf

I kind of like the magnet idea. I mean, anyone going there would know about the magnet and not leave their GPS dangling from their wrist as they opened the cache. Just post clear warnings about the magnet.

If you are going to do this, may I suggest using a "hide-a-key" box. They already have magnets on them. The space inside is even smaller than a film cannister though.