A touring cache

Guest Paradigm

Guest Paradigm

Hello,

I'm new to geocaching, but not to the concept. For several years, my friends and I have been doing the "treasure" hunting by mailing maps back and forth to each other with an "X" marks the spot kind of deal. But after awhile this got to be a little limiting.

We've always played around with the idea of mailing maps to complete strangers to get other people involve, but the ligistics never worked out.

What we envisioned was a system to keep a treasure moving: being hidden, found and then rehidden.

Now with geocaching this just might work.

The concept: I want to hide a "treasure." In this treasure is a small glass sculpture and a log book. Being the first one to start it, I'd write my name, e-mail, location and date hidden. The next person would then put date found, and start the whole thing over. No one else has to put an e-mail address, but mine would be there so I could "track" the cache. And this could go on for years with this one little "treasure" touring the globe.

Everyone has seen those movies where the luggage gets lost and ends up coming back with all sorts of foreign stickers on them. That is sort of what I'm envisioning.

Any thoughts or comments? Anyone/everyone willing to play?

Nate

Guest cache_ninja

yup, this stuff has been discussed a lotin the past. i'm pretty sure jeremy is working on a feature on the site that would track moving caches or items requested to be moving from cache to cache etc. so if you hold on a bit, you might be able to incorporate it into the url a bit, which would probably get more people involved...

c/n

[This message has been edited by cache_ninja (edited 03-19-2001).]

Guest kbraband

I was thinking about placing just such a "moving" article, such as a stuffed animal. Put a sign on it that says Take Me West, for example. The instructions specify it wants to travel from cache to cache to the West Coast, or continue around the world. Include your email address so cachers could let you know where it is, and you could chart its progress.

Guest cva38bw

After finding a cache like this, would you take the container and all with you? Would it be posted that the cache has been removed? If someone waited days before posting the move, you might have a number of people frustrated.

------------------

Guest Paradigm

Yes, you would take the whole container with you. And there is always the possibilty of lag time between finding a cache and posting that you found it.

The other minor problem is a way of loging the cache as the same one everytime it is rehidden. If I did this, I would write out instuctions inside the capsule on my "vision" and I'm sure that it would all work out without to many hang-ups.

Besides, this might be a way to get to know other cachers.

Nate

Guest kbraband

ginally posted by cva38bw:

After finding a cache like this, would you take the container and all with you?

No, the idea I had is not to move the entire cache. Instead, have just one item that can be taken from the cache and desigate it as a traveler. Attach a card or something to I.D. where it began and what direction you want it to go, and include a web or email address to track its progress from cache to cache.

Guest streamer

I'm interested in placing a touring cache too. I would think that this "touring cache" would have be small (micro) enough to fit into most caches or placed in it's own new location. Plus, items in the cache would need to be small or thin.

Could it be just a special notepad to log the travels and comments?

Guest robanna

I've done this with a postcard. Someone takes the card signs it and includes there email and where they found it. When the postcard is filled (hopefully ) they will drop it in the mail back to me and I can scan it and send it to everyone who signed it.