Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac

I went out on my friends property the other day to shovel muck for some trees (don't ask). I should have known better. There must be six-acres out there containing nothing but poison ivy. I got a small rash on my arm, and an even smaller one on my *wrist*. But, on the bright side, it got me thinking about geocaching education. I know most of you know all about the stuff, but for those of you who don't, I will now divulge just about everything I think I can remember about it.

First of all, *no one* is immune to poison ivy. I use to think I was. I'd rub it on my face just to prove to my friends that I had super powers. I never did get it. What I didn't know, however, was that each exposure to the stuff drastically increases your sensitivity to it. My friend Shawn, who was also "immune" to it, finally got it all over his neck and hands, but for some strange reason, the rash didn't itch.

One of the scariest things about poison ivy is that it's only contagious *before* a rash appears. Once the rash is visible, the urushiol (the irritant oil) on your skin won't leave that spot. I use to run my rash under extremely hot water because it simulated the feeling of scratching it. I later found out that it's just as bad as scratching. Do NOT use warm or hot water! It opens up your pores which allows the urushiol to sink deeper. Warm water simply makes the rash itch more, too.

If you know you've come in contact with poison ivy, use a lot of COLD WATER. The oils are water soluable, but the water will also spread them. However, if you use enough cold water, you can completely remove the oils from your skin. Just to be safe, I suggest using alcohol on the effected area, too. The last thing you want to do about it is nothing. Why? The oils on your skin will sink into your blood, which causes a systemic infection. The oils will re-surface in areas where the skin was not exposed to the plant. This is what happened the first time I got it. I got it so bad, I had to go see a doctor. I got a real nice intramuscular Prednisone shot, which just so happened to be the most painful shot I had ever received, as well as a *80 MG oral prescription*. Talk about wired... I felt extremely tired and overly-caffinated at the same time for about a week. It more than cleared up my rashes in about three days, but because of the systemic infection, it came back even worse several days later. My Prednisone dosage was upped, and I was put on a prescription of Allegra. Maybe I just didn't notice it, but I don't think either helped much.

It should also be noted that if you think you have a systemic infection and are going to see a doctor, be sure to the him/her in case the doctor wishes to prescribe an antibiotic such as Cephalexin. Antibiotics mixed with a systemic allergy will simply contribute to the problem. And any physician who has kept up with the literature knows antibiotics are usually ineffective for poison ivy anyway.

I also use an anti poison ivy/oak liquid soap called Tecnu. I've heard people say it's nothing short of a miracle, and although next to Prednisone, it's the strongest stuff I've seen, I don't think it's as great as everyone makes it out to be. I guess you have to know exactly when to use it. If you try to use it after a rash has been there for a while (after a day or two of noticing the rash), don't expect much. (Yet another mistake I learned from my first infection.) However, I used it twice a day ever since the first day I noticed my current rashes. It totally cleared up the itching, and the rashes look like they're about ready to go away. But I wake up the next day to notice they're just as red and as big they were the first day I got them. I will say, however, that the rashes have not spread one bit since I used it. Interestingly enough, the original Tecnu Tecnu product was developed to remove radioactive fallout dust from the skin without water. So if you're ever under a cloud of fallout from a nuke blast, be sure to carry some Tecnu with you. =)

I've also heard of a product called Zanfel, which claims to be the Holy Grail of all poison ivy medication saying it can get rid of poison ivy in hours. Apparently, it can get rid of the oils under your skin, where as Tecnu can only get the oils on your skin. I've talked to only two people who've used it, and they both say it's a divine cure for poison ivy. I have yet to use it, but if anyone else ever has, please tell me what you thought of it. It definitely sounds like it's worth a try. The only downfall I can see to it is that it costs over $30 - $40 for a 1 ounce tube of it... for that price, it *better* be good.

Also, it should be noted that neither Tecnu nor Zanfel will do anything if you have a systemic infection.

I have also heard of people using homeopathic approaches, such as taking pieces of the poison ivy leaves, putting them into gelatin capsules, and swallowing them. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Please, above all, don't eat the poison ivy. When ingested, poison ivy can be fatal, or at the very least, cause month-long flu-like symptoms. And whatever you do, DON'T BURN IT EITHER!!!! The smoke from burning poison ivy can be just as deadly you if you inhale it. In fact, at one point during WWII, the

military experimented with burning poison ivy as a weapon.

This is all I can think of for now. If anyone else has anything to add, please do. =)

I too used to be immune to PI. The key word is used. Now I get it very easily. My prevention method is a little barbaric but very effective. I shower with fels naptha soap as soon as possible after being in the woods, and if I know I touched some PI, I then wipe down with clorox bleach, and shower again. The bleach neutralizes all the oils. Then I shower again. If the rash has already appeared, I scratch it some (you know, where it just starts to feel better), then put the clorox on small areas of the rash. You have to do small areas, it will hurt like H. Stops the itching and the rash is gone in 2 days.

Okay, I tried the clorox bleach thing. Everyone else told me it would burn, but I really didn't feel a thing. It didn't get rid of the rash, and aside from stinking up my bathroom with bleach fumes, it did totally stop the itching. Thanks for the advice. =)

All good advice above. Another home remedy that removes the oil after an exposure is clay suspended in water. It soaks up any skin oils real well. Good for your complexion too. Visit a ceramics shop and ask for fire clay, or bentonite, or kaolin. These will be a very fine dry powder, tan or red or gray. Mix it with water until you get a nice smooth slurry, then put it in a bottle with a tight-fitting cap to take with you on expeditions.

Along the same lines, if you are exposed and didn't bring any of these remedies with you, look around for some clayish dirt. In my area most dirt is full of clay, it drives gardeners mad. Rub it on your skin with some water, it works almost as well as the pure stuff from the ceramics shop.

Tecnu is the only product I've ever found that gets rid of poison ivy. The key, however, is to use it as soon as possible after exposure. Quoting from the bottle,

quote:
Directions: Tecnu is most effective when used within the first few hours after exposure or as soon as the rash appears.

Since Tecnu simply breaks down the oils, using it ASAP is the only way it's going to do any good. I've put myself in the Emergency Room several times when I didn't use it. I rarely have more than a mild reaction when I use it immediately after exposure.

I also use a product called Ivy Block BEFORE I go geocaching, and it seems to help prevent it also.

25021_1200.gif

One thing that has worked for me is laundry bar soap ... there are several brands ... but it's usually the brown waxy kind you find at hardwares ... the real Hardwares ... not the super stores. It's darn near lye soap ... but it will remove the oils ... and dry out your skin ... but several times after finding myself hugging "the wrong kind of flora" ... it has kept me from either getting the rash completely or limiting it to just a few spots ... that I probably missed!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I am one of the ones who doesn't know what poison ivy even looks like. I know I have seen it, because other people that have logged some of the same caches on the same days as I have have mentioned tons of it.

I like to take my dog out when caching. Do I need to worry about her being exposed as well or are animals truly immune?

Thanx

Dep

I don't know about PI or Sumac, but they are not immune to Lyme desease carried by ticks. I use Frontline for ticks which is suppose to be pretty good. Check with your Vet or on the web regarding the other stuff. When you find out let us know.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Dep&Uno&Co:.... I like to take my dog out when caching. Do I need to worry about her being exposed as well or are animals truly immune?

This something I don't know for sure ... although my beagle doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Could be the hair that ultimately protects the dog ... but one thing is positive ... YOU CAN GET THE OIL OFF THE DOG'S FUR! I have first hand experience on this one! icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dep&Uno&Co:.... I like to take my dog out when caching. Do I need to worry about her being exposed as well or are animals truly immune?

This something I don't know for sure ... although my beagle doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Could be the hair that ultimately protects the dog ... but one thing is positive ... YOU CAN GET THE OIL OFF THE DOG'S FUR! I have first hand experience on this one! icon_eek.gif

Okay, guys, here's the deal. I went out and bought a $34 tube of Zanfel finally. The pharmasist I talked to said it's really good, too, so I tried it. Let me tell you... it's been two days since I put it on, and although the rash isn't totally gone yet, the itching was gone *immediately and totally*, and hasn't been back since. Even when I run the rash under water (which normally causes it to itch), I don't feel anything. The rash has really started to dry up, too, but it's still almost as big as it was originally because I'm hypersensitive.

The pharmasist also told me about something called Oral Ivy, which apparently will help your body build up a *real immunity* to poison ivy. You drop five drops of it into a 2 ounce glass of water and drink it everday. I have yet to try this, but it's relatively cheap compared to Zanfel. If anyone else has heard of this or tried it, comments would be appreciated.

Hey all

If you want to read a very easy to understand and very informative description of ivy, oak and sumac, go to WWW.WEBMD.COM and type in poison ivy in the search box. The first match it has is really educational.

Even if you know all abouot it, you may want to read the last paragraph of the article. It talks about a new over the counter lotion called bentoquatam. It is applied at least 15 minutes before possible exposure and either prevents and/or reduces the effects. It can be applied every 4 hours for extended excursions.

Just thought everyone might be interested.

Dep

Ultimatum-

Your comment that 'no one is immune' to poison ivy is incorrect. As you noted, many people have low sensitivity to poison ivy, oak & sumac and falsely believe that they are immune to it because they have not yet experienced a rash. With continued exposure, these people could develope symptoms and become highly sensitive.

However, some people are not allergic to the oils in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. The only way to know this is for one's doctor to perform skin testing.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

Ultimatum-

Your comment that 'no one is immune' to poison ivy is incorrect. As you noted, many people have low sensitivity to poison ivy, oak & sumac and falsely believe that they are immune to it because they have not yet experienced a rash. With continued exposure, these people could develope symptoms and become highly sensitive.

However, some people are not allergic to the oils in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. The only way to know this is for one's doctor to perform skin testing.

FWIW, a skin test is not very meaningful with urushiol. About 85% of the US population will show visible welting by the *second* exposure. Of the remaining 15%, the vast majority will show welting by the 10th exposure.

Certain populations do show a high tolerance for the irritant. For example, in Japan, a poison oak cousin was long used to make a lovely black lacquer - a favorite on common household items. The difference in resistance was duly noted by post WWII US service personnel who found themselves developing whelts from the black toilet seats (really). Native Californians are also rumored to have a high resistance, but I don't know if the rumor has ever been studied.

I kind of view it like anaphylactic reactions. I've never shown a severe reaction to bee stings, nor has my wife or kids. But, there is always a first time, so the epi pen goes in the first aid kit...

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

... in Japan, a poison oak cousin was long used to make a lovely black lacquer - a favorite on common household items. The difference in resistance was duly noted by post WWII US service personnel who found themselves developing whelts from the black toilet seats (really)...

-jjf

jjf: I don't know about WWII vets but I spent two years in Japan in the USAF during the mid 60's and don't recall ever seeing a toilet seat off base. Basically you just sqautted over a hole and did your thing and got the heck out of there as quick as you could due to the smell of the "benjo" ditch. It wasn't the place to read Life Magazine. icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by jfitzpat:

... in Japan, a poison oak cousin was long used to make a lovely black lacquer - a favorite on common household items. The difference in resistance was duly noted by post WWII US service personnel who found themselves developing whelts from the black toilet seats (really)...

-jjf

jjf: I don't know about WWII vets but I spent two years in Japan in the USAF during the mid 60's and don't recall ever seeing a toilet seat off base. Basically you just sqautted over a hole and did your thing and got the heck out of there as quick as you could due to the smell of the "benjo" ditch. It wasn't the place to read Life Magazine. icon_wink.gif

Alan

In case you don't know what Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac looks like, remember a rhyme:

Leaves of three, let it be,

Berries white, a poisonous sight!

All three plants have 3 leaves coming off the stem in the same location (like points of a triangle). Poison Ivy has white berries on it.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Alan

My experiences in the 70s were the same. My last trip to Japan, just a few weeks ago, my hotel had the highest tech toilet seat I've ever seen. Heated, strange jet controls, a gust of air freshener... I would have laughed anyway, but my first recollections of Japan made it seem even funnier.

The black toilet seat story comes from my father. I never was sure if I believed it, but I've read it elsewhere and I saw some of his South Pacific buds making fun of him for it.

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Alan

My experiences in the 70s were the same. My last trip to Japan, just a few weeks ago, my hotel had the highest tech toilet seat I've ever seen. Heated, strange jet controls, a gust of air freshener... I would have laughed anyway, but my first recollections of Japan made it seem even funnier.

The black toilet seat story comes from my father. I never was sure if I believed it, but I've read it elsewhere and I saw some of his South Pacific buds making fun of him for it.

-jjf

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a product called IVY DRY. My mother turned me on to it last summer when I got into some poision ivy while clearing out some brush for her.

the stuff is amazing. Neutralizes the poison and dries it up. Stops the itching too. You can also put it on BEFORE you go into the woods like suntan lotion (I put it on my legs. Helps to keep Nettles from stinging as well.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com