Has anyone else noticed...

quote:
georgeandmary wrote:

What you should do is leave a note in the cache that explains Jomarac's solution.

Georgy, Georgy, Georgy,

If you had half the brain that you were born with you'd realize that the 2oldfarts' cache was plundered -- not degraded by poor trading practices, hence my comments about a solution don't work in this case -- you see, the person(s) who did this are no longer there and are most likely never to return.

But keep trying Georgy -- about one in 100 of your posts actually have some merit. With the number of times that you post your drivel, something is bound to make some sense sometime. Sorry, but this is not one of those times.

Perhaps we can now get this thread back on topic...

quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Kane:

Does anybody ever admit to leaving garbage in exchange for something good? All the handwringing about cache contents makes you think, so if everybody here always trades up, just who is it that's depleting the caches? ...snipped...

I had one cacher that logged he put a motorcycle light in the cache that he had found. This light was a broken light! I really wanted to write him and tell him that sucked - it was big AND broken. That day I cleaned out my cache of the light, a broken clay pigeon and other detritus - and wrote in the cache log that I had removed the crap. Whether anyone got the message, who knows. I eventually archived that cache because folks were driving irresponsibly to get to the cache instead of hoofing it a few yards. On my new cache pages I plan on writing a really BIG note that asks folks to trade equitably and quit with the stupid plastic rings. New McToys I think are ok ( how else are you supposed to get rid of those toys in your Happy Meals? ) but stickers???? Puleeze! One guy out here in the desert leaves ONE sticker than looks like a bullet hole and a couple of shells but takes nice things. I figure, "oh well, whatever". I take things I think are fun/useful, always leave one or two sig items plus other stuff and just don't get upset if the cache stuff is not what I want. C'est le jeu.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
georgeandmary wrote:

What you should do is leave a note in the cache that explains Jomarac's solution.

Georgy, Georgy, Georgy,

If you had half the brain that you were born with you'd realize that the 2oldfarts' cache was plundered -- not degraded by poor trading practices, hence my comments about a solution don't work in this case -- you see, the person(s) who did this are no longer there and are most likely never to return.

Well, in that case, write "Don't plunder me." On the lid and that will fix the problem.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

O.K.I just so happen to be one of thoes people that loves to go through a Cache that has cool contents.I will always leave an item(Elvis items mostly) weather I find one of my sought after pins,patches, or buttons...reguardless,I will always leave something.Yes,it's the Log Book,the hike,the view,all of these things combined that I seek,however,finding a Cache with a pin or button that I can hang on my cloth banner behind my computer...AWESOME!!!I love a well thought out Cache with cool contents and I refuse to hang my head in shame because of it.There seems to be people who trade well and others who don't...Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream...enjoy this mad bit of fun as you will.

Hello All,

I've been thinking about this thread during the day and have come up with a few thoughts.

Trading/TNLN/Cost of Cache Loot

Is it possible that the aversion that some people have to trading is due to the monetary factor? I don't mean this in a way to embarrass anyone -- heck, the reality is that it can be costly.

I don't keep tabs of how much we've spent on caching since we started last December but it's been a few bucks. We make shopping trips for cache loot at least every couple of weeks. Each time seems to cost between $20.00 - $30.00. Most of our trade items cost between 1-2 dollars each -- if it's something really cool we might spend a dollar or two more on the occasional item. Since last December we've done 130 caches so I know that it can add up quickly -- and we haven't traded at every cache. For someone with a few hundred finds, over time, it would represent a fair bit of money to trade at every cache.

We've placed 3 caches at a cost of $45.00 to $55.00 each (including the cache container) -- admittedly, we could probably place caches for half of what we spent but we wanted to have lot's of stuff in them for kids to trade for -- and a couple of adult oriented trade items as well.

I'm not complaining about what we've spent on caching -- it's our choice. And we'll likely continue to do so.

However, it can be a bit of an expense, especially if you trade at every cache. When I cache by myself without the kids, I rarely trade (although sometimes I'll leave something in a cache without taking anything). And I don't feel the slightest bit guilty about logging a TNLN.

With the costs in mind, I can certainly see why some people don't trade. And I have no problem with this -- there is absolutely no obligation to trade. Nor should there be.

But there is an obligation I think, that if you do trade, to trade fairly. I would much rather see someone log a TNLN than leave a cigarette or a broken mctoy.

Perhaps the reason for degrading caches is not the monetary reason but I think it possibly has some bearing on it. Any comments?

-----

Regarding this discussion thread:

I don't understand why there is such an aversion to trading by a few very vocal cachers in these forums. From what I've read to date there has been absolutely no good reason presented to not trade -- only complaints and insults to those that do like to trade. No one has said that you have to trade. No one is saying that you should trade.

We are however, saying that we like to trade (sometimes or all the time) and can't understand why you get so bent out of shape every time the topic is brought up.

You can say that you are tired of hearing discussions about cache trades and all this but how do you ever expect others to resolve the problems if you keep being rude and interupt each discussion with your nonsensical and off-topic comments. Whether you realize it or not, your disruptions do inhibit many people from posting their ideas -- they are concerned that they are going to get jumped on if they offer their opinions. And frankly, they have a valid concern in these forums.

There are some valid concerns about trading and perhaps with some good discussion we can come up with some sensible ways of encouraging others to trade fairly.

I'm asking as a courtesy to those of us that would like to discuss this topic that the naysayers leave us alone to do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be appreciative of this.

Thanks for listening.

edit - fix typo

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on May 22, 2003 at 12:49 AM.]

I have to admit that there have been a few times when I have traded down at a cache. (Just being honest!) But usually I will trade up or at least even. I also tend to remember the times that I've undertraded and try to compensate when I hide a new cache. Consequently, I don't mind too much if I see people trading down at my caches. I find part of the fun of geocaching is the giving to others. If I need to maintain my cache and sweeten it a bit from time to time, that's ok with me.

quote:
Originally posted by Team MJDJ:

Well, thanks to all for the varying replies. I tend to agree with Jomarac (since he's almost my neighbour!).

The Hike = good

The Hunt = good

Cache full of McJunk = Anti-climax to the above!

Ya know, You probably should post a poll to settle this argument. I understand both sides of the argument, but ultimatly....If the cache has a log book that I can sign, then I'm happy. No anti-climax for me. IMHO, I would be interested to see the results of a poll. One that covers both sides of the fence equally.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Snoogans wrote:

Ya know, You probably should post a poll to settle this argument. I understand both sides of the argument, but ultimatly....If the cache has a log book that I can sign, then I'm happy. No anti-climax for me. IMHO, I would be interested to see the results of a poll. One that covers both sides of the fence equally.

Sorry, but I don't see what good a poll will do. What type of poll questions/answers will apply here -- Was I disappointed? Yes. No. Maybe so. That's really not what this discussion is about.

No offence to you or your suggestion, but the discussion is about finding a solution to encourage people not to trade down.

Personally, I'd much rather explore the reasons why people are trading down and try to find possible solutions to eliminate this.

I'm pretty new to this game (23 finds). Personally, I try to leave something in every cache that would be cool to find; ie. money clip from China, deck of "Iraqi's most-wanted" cards, unusual coins, AND a mc-toy or golf ball or some other trinket-type item.

The treasure IS in the hunt, but it's nice to be remembered as "the guy who left a 1921 silver dollar."

I guess I think in terms of gifts rather than equality.

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.hoomdorm:

You could always post on your cache pages that anyone trading down will have their logs deleted. Over time maybe people might get the point if they were losing their finds over poor trading.

Except many times folks do not say what they are trading and those that are leaving real garbage are not saying - "Hey, took silver dollar, left broken cigarette."

Who says you have to trade up? I created a cache last year and included in it a pocket pack of Kleenex -- don't know why, just did. Got a log entry from someone who found the cache on a foggy day and couldn't say enough good things about the Kleenex, as his glasses had fogged up and he had a cold. They were a life saver for him as he put it. So I don't think it's important to trade up. Value is in the eye of the beholder. As long as it's something someone might be able to use or value, its monetary worth is immaterial.

I drive o FORD but man I sure would like a FERRARI.I put out a FORD cache and someone else might put out a FERRARI,how can this ever be construed as even.It is much like Geocaching there are some that can only afford so much,I have also noticed that if you place something very valuble in your caches people will beat a path to them,once the valuble item has been retrieved then the cache gets less and less hits.I have tried many diffrent things just to watch and make note of what gets the best results.That is part of the game as well.Live and learn.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

Waa, waa, waa - make the hobby what you want it to be. Don't everyone cry about it - just do it. I generally will spend $60-$100 to place a cache, and I always try to spend at least $1-$3 for trades on caches I find. If the cache is a total waste or too small - SL works just fine... r u ready... FOR ME... icon_wink.gif

--------------------------------------------------

If you drop your keys into molten lava just let 'em go 'cause, man, they're gone.

quote:

Personally, I'd much rather explore the reasons why people are trading down and try to find possible solutions to eliminate this.

It's because a lot of people are self-centered and think every cache was placed for their enjoyment only. It's not really that different from the way some people hijack forum threads, Jomarac5.

Geeezzz folks...common sense...common sense...we are not dealing with brain surgery here! I always carry extra log books, baggies and stuff to fix up ailing caches...if the cache is low on items I only add, if it is full I might exchange...again as it has been stated many times, the fun is in the finding!

Ok, Almost all of us agree that trading junk sucks. But no amount of discussion is going to change the fact that there are still going to be the few oddballs that don't think before they trade. There will also be those few who find the cache on a fluke of good luck. Who are not even Geocachers, but will put something in the cache to be polite. My wife and I hunt togeather and seaperatly, and sometimes you do find something that just grabs you. Such as pins and patches. I've always tried to trade for these items, but I don't always have an upgrade item with me. This is where I trade a lot of items for the one. To at least an even trade. There has also been times when I find something I really like, but don't have an even trad. This is where self control needs to come in. I don't trade. Even if I really like it. I figure maybe someone else deserves to trade for that item, since I don't have an even or better trade. We all have to remember that this is a game, and there will be good finds, great finds, and finds that really suck. It's all part of the game of odds. Just try to rememb

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

quote:
Blackfoot wrote:

Ok, Almost all of us agree that trading junk sucks. But no amount of discussion is going to change the fact that there are still going to be the few oddballs that don't think before they trade. There will also be those few who find the cache on a fluke of good luck. Who are not even Geocachers, but will put something in the cache to be polite. My wife and I hunt togeather and seaperatly, and sometimes you do find something that just grabs you. Such as pins and patches. I've always tried to trade for these items, but I don't always have an upgrade item with me. This is where I trade a lot of items for the one. To at least an even trade. There has also been times when I find something I really like, but don't have an even trad. This is where self control needs to come in. I don't trade. Even if I really like it. I figure maybe someone else deserves to trade for that item, since I don't have an even or better trade. We all have to remember that this is a game, and there will be good finds, great finds, and finds that really suck. It's all part of the game of odds. Just try to rememb

Life is a gift, unwrap it and use it to the fullest!

I agree with everything you say here except that discussion won't change the way that some people trade. It was discussion that brought about cache-in and trash-out -- which has made a difference. I'll bet there are people who now help to clean an area up because of the influence of the program.

Perhaps with some good ideas generated through discussion in these forums we can find a solution that will influence fairer trading. To say that this is impossible just doesn't make sense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.hoomdorm:

You could always post on your cache pages that anyone trading down will have their logs deleted. Over time maybe people might get the point if they were losing their finds over poor trading.

Wow! Now that is just draconian. You realize that this is supposed to be fun? I can't fathom the reasoning involved in that one. I can hear the ghost of Alec Guinness (Obi-wan) calling out, "Let go...."

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

[This message was edited by Snoogans on May 26, 2003 at 11:52 AM.]

Finding a cache with cool stuff is a great feeling even if you don't trade anything. Most of the time I just like to look at all the stuff in the cache. Usually I will not take anything but I always leave something (My signature item, a magic deck of playing cards). It is just fun to look at all the items in the cache. When a cache is full of junk it is not as exciting to me. I do believe in trading fairly but if there is a real expensive item in the cache, I don't expect people to replace it with something of the same value. In a recent cache I put in a brand new cordless phone (still in the box) and I don't expect someone to trade something as valuable but I would be disappointed if they traded something like a dirty golf ball or a "state quarter" but I would be fine if they traded a new item from the dollar store. It is just sad finding stuff in a cache that somebody would not even pick up if it was sitting in a gutter.

I don't care if people don't trade evenly, just don't trade junk for something good. Also I have no problem with TN/LN even though I always like to leave something. When you leave something, you have an affect on the cache but TN/LN is not really a negative or positive thing for the cache since it is in pretty much the same state as when they found it. If people like to geocache that way, so be it.

Most of the people that geocache don't read the message boards so I don't think this thread will have an affect on caches.

quote:
Originally posted by agentjack:

Most of the people that geocache don't read the message boards so I don't think this thread will have an affect on caches.

One of the more thoughtful posts on this thread. I think you summed it up for me nicely.

quote:

Perhaps with some good ideas generated through discussion in these forums we can find a solution that will influence fairer trading. To say that this is impossible just doesn't make sense to me.

Someone should have discussed this earlier. There are so many new ideas being brought up here. Just imagine what the caches would be filled with if these ideas were just brought to our attention a couple years ago. It's like copernicus saying everything orbits around the sun..... things will be different now. I look forward to geoaching in the new era.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Wow. I just read this thing in it's entirety for the first time since it was only a few posts long. So, for the sake of discussion, let's assume a few things.

Caches degrade.

Some cachers would like caches to retain value.

So far, nothing has worked.

When I place a cache, I expect that the loot I stock it with will never be seen again. I give the contents to the caching community. Come and get them. The most vauable item I've ever found in a cache was a fresh page in the logbook. And the wonderful thing is, they all contain one. I don't belive that cache degradation will ever stop. I for one would feel bad about leaving a note in my caches asking people to trade up or even. Who am I to judge what their opinion of a fair trade is?

Ask yourself, do you really expect the value of the items to stay the same, or increase? Deep down inside, most people would say no. If I thought that people would always trade even, I'd leave some really valuable stuff. Who knows what someone trading even for a GPSr would leave? But, I just can't give away stuff that valuable. Most people can't or you'd see it in caches all the time.

So, the solution I propose is simple. Change the requirements, guidelines, suggestions about trading practice. Let's get rid of "take something, leave something", and replace it with "take whatever you want, and leave whatever you want, if anything".

I would rather find an empty box with a logbook, than a box filled with junk left by people who felt obligated to "leave something". If people aren't required to leave anything, rather than degrade, the caches would deplete. To me this is much better than trade items out / trash in.

On one of my caches, someone took a flashlight left by a previous finder, and left a rusty allen wrench. I have no problem with them taking the flashlight, perhaps they need one. But they can keep the rusty allen wrench.

As soon as we accept the reality of human nature and stop holding others to our own standards, the whole experience will be much less stressful. I like to cache to relive stress. If cache degradation stressed me out, it would suck all the pleasure out of the sport. I no longer even rummage through the cache items, just go right for the logbook. I don't bring trade items because I've rarely seen anything I'd want in a cache. I've already bought all of the things I want that I can afford, and if a cache had a turbocharger for a 97 Civic in it, I couldn't afford to trade even anyway. icon_smile.gif

So, leave what you feel like, and be prepared to find junk.

eyes.GIF

"The way eye"

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

So, leave what you feel like, and be prepared to find junk.

http://angelfire.com/pro/bloen/images/eyes.GIF

"The way eye"

And if you can accept that, you'll never have a cache hunt ruined or leave disapointed. And when you do find a cache stocked with nice surprizes. It'll be a bonus. Frosting on the cake.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

It is a rare thing for me not to trade items. If the cache is terribly barren I will at least leave an item. Things that bum me out are finding candy, soap, a live 45 bullet, old dirty golf balls, and some other junk in caches. I reserve the right to remove such items without trading...unless the cache is really bare without them. Well...I always leave my signature item chainmail keychain (so I may take all the junk items AND the item I want to trade for while leaving my chainmail keychain...unless it empties the cache).

victorymike

Mike Landis

Garmin eMap

Ann Arbor, MI

Victory V92SC

Just a thought... Has anybody noticed whether or not it makes a difference if the cache is a subscription only cache for paying members? I don't want geocaching to become a pay to play game and I'm not saying it should become that...but hopefully it would make a difference for those who want to have a higher quality of cache, if the cache was only open to people who paid for finding it...maybe...I dunno. I haven't been to any subscription only caches yet, but I'm anxious to try them out to see if they are better.

BloedCustoms, something has worked.

My "Signature Cache" has been out for most of a year without serious geotrash problems. How? The thing is a theme cache and you are only allowed to place signature items in the cache.

The items tend to be inexpensive, so people appear to leave what they can afford. The items have their names on them so people don't leave garbage as no one wants their name on garbage.

If a cacher doesn't have a sig item, there are labels in the cache for making something a sig item for just that cache.

So far so good. This is why I have suggested that the game be modified to be a sig item only game.

This way the abdication inherent in TN/LN and the degradation inherent in thoughtless trading, as well as the outright garbaging of caches slows down.

If we all develop some type of sig item or some standard way of labeling trade items so that they become defacto sig items, we get a lot more people being conscious of what they are leaving. Also, the nature of the item becomes less important compared to the idea of finding a sig item from a new cacher, a new sig item from an established cacher or a cacher from out of the area.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Well, none of that matters if you TNLN. (sarcasm>Anyway, another possible solution would be to staple the reciept to all of the trade items, that way you can be sure to trade even.<sarcasm) Like I said before, if we stopped expecting everyone else to behave the way we want, there will be a lot less disappointment. Making a themed cahce is cool. I have yet to find one, hopefully soon. But I don't agree that all caches should be themed. That would limit creativity. How is TNLN harming anyone? Those who do aren't doing it to slight the cache. If the game was all about the trinkets, I'd sell my GPS and spend the money at garage sales.

eyes.GIF

"The way eye"

quote:
Originally posted by BloenCustoms:

Well, none of that matters if you TNLN.

>>But you do abdicate the part of the game that refreshes caches. When you have a cache full of junk, and 5 people trade up, the next 5 find a cache only partially filled with junk. When 5 people TNLN, the next 5 just find the same pile of junk.

Like I said before, if we stopped expecting everyone else to behave the way we want, there will be a lot less disappointment.

>>No one is expecting others to behave the way we want, what I am trying to do is morph the game into something that sustains itself by adding an aspect of collectibility to the sig items (thus intrinsically increasing the interest in items, even of limited actual value).

Making a themed cahce is cool. I have yet to find one, hopefully soon. But I don't agree that all caches should be themed. That would limit creativity.

>>Themes really don't seem to. The trade items in the Signature cache range the gamut of trade items, its just that people put their names on the items they leave.

How is TNLN harming anyone? Those who do aren't doing it to slight the cache. If the game was all about the trinkets, I'd sell my GPS and spend the money at garage sales.

>>Some people (like myself) like to trade. We see it as part of the game. When the game is just go into the woods till you get to the coordinates and then sign a log book, you could do bird watching or some other hobby. What makes it cool is the aspect of finding things that are novel and interesting in the cache. Finding a cache that is filled with 41 cents, a sticker for an event that was last year, a plastic piece of an inkjet printer case, and a bolt is not what I see when I think of "novel and interesting".

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

One question for y'all. Why does everyone seem to be down on fast food toys? Even the people who say they are in it for the kids. My 4 year old makes very considered choices when we find a cache. He knows that for every item he chooses he must give up one of his toys. He is even leaving some of these toys in their original wrapper so he can trade for something his wants more. Now I'm not advocating trading a "Mc Toy" for a pocket knife or equivalent, but a toy for a toy seems fair to me. And that's what kids have to trade, toys.

Originally posted by bigredmed:

When you have a cache full of junk, and 5 people trade up, the next 5 find a cache only partially filled with junk. When 5 people TNLN, the next 5 just find the same pile of junk.

Are those who TNLN responsible for the junk in caches?

>>No one is expecting others to behave the way we want, what I am trying to do is morph the game into something that sustains itself by adding an aspect of collectibility to the sig items (thus intrinsically increasing the interest in items, even of limited actual value).

I like the fact that the game is so open and flexible. I'd hate to think that someone would require me to alter the ideas I have for caches. I don't have a signiture item. And I don't think cachers should be required to. However, that's what's great about the game, if you want to create a signiture cache, you can.

I don't agree that all caches should be themed. That would limit creativiity.

>>Themes really don't seem to. The trade items in the Signature cache range the gamut of trade items, its just that people put their names on the items they leave.

If all caches were required to be themed, it would limit the hiders creativity, not the trade items.

>>Some people (like myself) like to trade. We see it as part of the game. When the game is just go into the woods till you get to the coordinates and then sign a log book, you could do bird watching or some other hobby. What makes it cool is the aspect of finding things that are novel and interesting in the cache. Finding a cache that is filled with 41 cents, a sticker for an event that was last year, a plastic piece of an inkjet printer case, and a bolt is not what I see when I think of "novel and interesting".

What makes the game interesting for you, and interesting for me are different. There are plenty of people who enjoy looking for caches, only to sign the book. Some caches require solving puzzles, multiple stages etc. These are the caches I find most enjoyable. I get a feeling of accopmlishment from finding caches. I can remember details about the hunt long after I forget what was in the box.

If making a cache signiture only has kept the value static in the cache, then go for it. It's a good idea that has worked for you. But please don't ask me to make all of mine signiture only.

eyes.GIF

"The way eye"

How do themed caches preserve 'value'. There is nothing making a person stick to a theme. If you come to a cache full of pez dispensers, there is nothing preventing a cacher from taking a pez dispenser and leaveing a key chain. What could you do about it and how would you even know unless you checked the cache every day.

As for TNLN hurting geocaching, lets go back to the 5 cacher example. So a cache is full of junk. 5 cachers come by and TNLN and are met with a cache full of junk. Well, if they're like me, they rarely pay attention to the contents so they could careless.

I don't rember what was in caches, even in the early days when I traded. But I can just about tell you where every cache I found was located and how it was hidden. That I remember. All 1000 of them.

My favorite item I've ever traded for was one loaded die. I have no idea which cache I got it from and it's my favorite thing. But ask me how "Crows Loop" was hidden..... I still remember.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

When I started playing this game and reading about it, one thing I noticed is that it says "Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache. "

That is taken from the guide on finding your first cache.

As to not being forced to trade, that is true. Unless I want to clear all the caches in a certain area. There are three caches near me that require the finder to trade a very specific item. Including one that requires a 1977 coin. That cache took me awhile to find the right coin.

TNLN, yep I have done it. Most of the time I leave something. But that will probably happen less as time goes on. It does cost money. As to trading up or even, the value of a item is up to finder, and their values may not be the same as yours. I usually have a new key chain with me to trade if I feel like it. They cost me between four and five dollars. It's still a key chain though and since I don't want anyone to say I don't trade fair, I just wont trade.

I guess it is threads like these that make it so I would rather TNLN then trade. I cache for fun and to spend time with my kids outdoors. I like to relax while I cache. I don't want to judge people nor do I wish to be judged.

As to finding that pristine, blank page in a log. Around here there are a lot of micro's. This means one sheet with space for 25 names and dates (or so). And that sheet is only about 8" by 1.5". I still enjoy the game though.

I completed two caches on Friday, well after this thread was into it's second page. Both cache's contents were both very lean as far as items, yet it didn't ruin my experience. I did trade up on the first cache ( a candle from a cache earlier in the week), and took a plastic soldier. The second cache I did a TN/LN. I still feel I had a rewarding day, but I can see how other people might not enjoyed it as much.

My point is this game is different for all of us, so if you play it the way you would want others to play it, things will work themselves out.

I usually trade a nice item when I cache, most often from another cache. But some days I TN/LN/SL, and that is ok too.

To bottom line it, play your own game

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

OKAY...from a newbie...

Yesterday was my first geocaching expedition, and I had a blast! icon_biggrin.gif Before going out, I read all the FAQ's and several threads posted here. I stopped by a store and purchased several American flag pins to leave.

I agree that most of the fun is finding the cache, not necessarily taking something. In fact, I traded for only one item out of three caches I found...a shuttle mission sticker (left an American flag pin). At another cache, I just left a pin. At the third, I TNLN (because I left my bag a ways back from the cache and was too lazy to go back and get another pin...LOL)

Anyway, after my trip, I stopped by Wallyworld and a couple of other places to buy some things to make my own "signature items." I bought some blank koozies (the plastic kind) and hand painted "Geocaching.com" on them. I also intend to make some keychains out of (unused) histology tissue cassettes. These are about 1" square in which I can place a "Wheresgeorge" dollar in them.

So, after applying the common sense rule, is this something that most people would consider an acceptable item, instead of "junk?" Just curious...

Patrick

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:

Anyway, after my trip, I stopped by Wallyworld and a couple of other places to buy some things to make my own "signature items." I bought some blank koozies (the plastic kind) and hand painted "Geocaching.com" on them. I also intend to make some keychains out of (unused) histology tissue cassettes. These are about 1" square in which I can place a "Wheresgeorge" dollar in them.

So, after applying the common sense rule, is this something that most people would consider an acceptable item, instead of "junk?" Just curious...

Patrick

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

I would trade for that. Thumpmeister has a Where's George Cache not far from you. It's called, George to Alaska! All the WG bills collected there will end up in Alaska later this year. I think she would be thrilled to see your take on WG. It sounds unique.