I know food is generally a no no....

RAD Dad

But...I was wanting to do a cache in one of my own cache's and maybe as a put as well, that would be a new movie along with a bag of microwave popcorn. I would vacuum seal it all together. My caches are all utilize ammo cans, which are water tight so I would think between being vacuum sealed and in a water tight contianer, that attracting critters wouldn't be a problem.

What do you think?

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Sealing will do no good ... just for example ... why do you think dogs are so good at finding drugs ... no matter how they are masked. You still run the risk of a critter being very fond of your cache ... even if he can't get it open. I would really reccomend against it.

348_2702.gif

I've wondered about animals affinity for coffee. Any thoughts? I roast my own coffee beans from the green beans and would love to leave some packets of fresh roasted coffee beans (not ground) in some caches.

Although, I'm guessing most people would be wary of using any foodstuff that someone left in a cache anyway...I probably would. icon_smile.gif

I've wondered about animals affinity for coffee. Any thoughts? I roast my own coffee beans from the green beans and would love to leave some packets of fresh roasted coffee beans (not ground) in some caches.

Although, I'm guessing most people would be wary of using any foodstuff that someone left in a cache anyway...I probably would. icon_smile.gif

Rad Dad I would leave the movie, and forget the Popcorn.

Infosponge I would suggest that if you want to offer your roasted coffee as a reward for finding a cache, include a special code that the finder could e-mail to you and then you could meet them someplace or snailmail them a sample of your beans.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Coffee has an extremely strong aroma and that is why smugglers try and disguise their drugs by packing it in coffee, to throw the dogs off.

Any food with a high oil content would bad for a cache, and coffee has a lot of oil... that is what makes it so appealling....... coffee, coffee... I need MORE!

As for popcorn, see if you can get gift certificates from your local video rental store for free popcorn and place those with the movie. It would work for me. I like anything free. Coffee.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRedCoffee

KF6VFI - Coffee

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations." - Coffee

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

I, uh, like coffee...

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Can you find someplace that has coupons or sells gift certificates. Maybe you can make a deal with a local store for a gift certificate for the popcorn?

Rob

That's funny Rob... I posted right behind you. Two minds, one thought?

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

No kidding. icon_smile.gif I used to have this guy mail me some really far out beans (organic, sun-dried...lots of good brain-happy chemicals in there) from Mexico by way of a town in Arizona near the border. Invariably the boxes would be opened by the postal inspectors somewhere along the way. Once I was out of town for a week and had a box sitting at the post office for a few days...they thanked me profusely for picking it up because it smelled so good and was driving them crazy. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

Coffee has an extremely strong aroma and that is why smugglers try and disguise their drugs by packing it in coffee, to throw the dogs off.

No kidding. icon_smile.gif I used to have this guy mail me some really far out beans (organic, sun-dried...lots of good brain-happy chemicals in there) from Mexico by way of a town in Arizona near the border. Invariably the boxes would be opened by the postal inspectors somewhere along the way. Once I was out of town for a week and had a box sitting at the post office for a few days...they thanked me profusely for picking it up because it smelled so good and was driving them crazy. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

quote:
infosponge is:

guessing most people would be wary of using any foodstuff that someone left in a cache anyway...I probably would. icon_smile.gif

In the third cache I found there were some freeze-dried raspberries. They're still sitting in the package unopened. I feel weird about tossing what might be a decent snack but am worried about the possibility that some sicko tainted them.

I'll probably toss them someday, or at least offer them to Rob. icon_wink.gif

quote:
infosponge is:

guessing most people would be wary of using any foodstuff that someone left in a cache anyway...I probably would. icon_smile.gif

In the third cache I found there were some freeze-dried raspberries. They're still sitting in the package unopened. I feel weird about tossing what might be a decent snack but am worried about the possibility that some sicko tainted them.

I'll probably toss them someday, or at least offer them to Rob. icon_wink.gif