Somewhat OT: Funny spam I received that had coords in it...

Marky

I received this the other day and thought it was pretty funny. Why would someone send out something like this? E-mail harvesting, maybe? Doesn't seem likely at that e-mail address but who knows.

Subject: Dimensional Warp Generator Needed tvsgdbkchvtag bvipp

Hello,

I'm a time traveler stuck here in 2003. Upon arriving here my dimensional warp generator stopped working. I trusted a company here by the name of LLC Lasers to repair my Generation 3 52 4350A watch unit, and they fled on me. I am going to need a new DWG unit, prefereably the rechargeable AMD wrist watch model with the GRC79 induction motor, four I80200 warp stabilizers, 512GB of SRAM and the menu driven GUI with front panel XID display.

I will take whatever model you have in stock, as long as its received certification for being safe on carbon based life forms.

In terms of payment:

Payment can be made in Galactic Credits, Platinum gold, or 2003 currency upon safe delivery of unit.

INSTRUCTIONS MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY:

Please transport unit in either a brown paper bag or box to below coordinates on Saturday August 9th at (exactly 3:00pm) Eastern Standard Time on the dot. A few minutes prior will be ok, but it cannot be after. If you miss this timeframe please email me. I will not be there prior to 2:45pm EST, (so do not transport before then).

Item is to be delivered at Majority Lane in Woburn, Massachusetts located at: Latitude N 42.49430 & Longitude W 071.14275 and the Elevation is 140 feet.

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TRANSPORT ITEM BY REGULAR MEANS OF TELEPORTATION. THEY ARE MONITORING AND WILL REDIRECT THE SIGNAL!!

I DO NOT CARE HOW YOU HAVE TO GET IT HERE, JUST DO IT IN A WAY THAT NO SPYING EYES WILL POSSIBLY BE ABLE TO REDIRECT or BLOCK THE TRANSFERENCE. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU BE ABLE TO MONITOR THE TRANSFER.

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SEND IT SO THAT THEY CANNOT REDIRECT OR BLOCK IT??? If in doubt do not transport actual unit until your method of transfer can be confirmed as a success. You just might need to send a intergalactic courier to deliver item safely to me. If so be VERY careful at how they approach me.

It is best if you send a intergalactic courier to deliver, this way you can be certain the unit arrives ok, However If you are certain that you have the means to teleport unit in a safe manner please send a (separate) email to me at: webmaster@federalfundingprogram.com only after unit has been safely delivered with payment instructions.

Do not reply directly back to this email as it will only be bounced back to you.

tunekbi dbgbbyxsujrkwzppgyfsl yj

lypauredg bdveuqs wv

So, does anyone live near those coords? It looks like some house at the end of a court. Maybe it could be turned into the dimentional warp virtual cache... oh wait, there's probably a rule against spam caches... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

So, does anyone live near those coords? It looks like some house at the end of a court. Maybe it could be turned into the dimentional warp virtual cache... oh wait, there's probably a rule against spam caches... icon_wink.gif

Actually the rules forbid dimentional warp virtual caches. Too hard to verify!

130036_200.gif

Speaking of spam, of course you've probably seen those e-mails from some Nigerian government official who wants to put 75 million bucks in your bank account, or something similar. Ever wonder what happens if you respond to these scammers? Check the Scamorama.com for some hilarious correspondences from people who answered, simply to string these scammmers along. One person posed as Harry Potter and told the scammer he needed money for a new roof for Hogwarts school. They may be scammers, but they are by and large, pretty stupid.

In some instances the scammers themselves were scammed by the people they were trying to scam. One ingenious person had a scammer send him some gold nuggets, so his "metallurgist could test them for purity", before he closed a "deal" on a Ghana gold mine.

Here are several of the better ones. They are long, but funny!

This person pretented to be Princess Margaret

This is guy who scammed the scammer

This one is just plain funny (he got the guy to send a photo with him holding a sign that says Ima Dildo).

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

Actually the rules forbid dimentional warp virtual caches. Too hard to verify!

Probably falls under the general category of moving caches. Not good to have caches moving in time. It would really mess up the logbook.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I have already teleported (through irregular menas) a new DWG unit, prefereably the rechargeable AMD wrist watch model with the GRC79 induction motor, four I80200 warp stabilizers, 512GB of SRAM and the menu driven GUI with front panel XID display to those coordinates.

I fear that it may have been picked up by the wrong time traveler, though. My contact was named Wilson....

My husband has been getting spam from the timetraveler for a few months now. We actually look forward to them, and we were excited when he started giving out GPS coordinates. icon_smile.gif

We've done a bit of background research, just trying to figure out what's behind the spam. There's not much to be found.

In my mind's eye, I see a Christopher Lloyd lookalike, hair all askew, crazy doctor lab coat on....

Cin

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

I have already teleported (through irregular menas) a new DWG unit, prefereably the rechargeable AMD wrist watch model with the GRC79 induction motor, four I80200 warp stabilizers, 512GB of SRAM and the menu driven GUI with front panel XID display to those coordinates.

I fear that it may have been picked up by the wrong time traveler, though. My contact was named Wilson....

Or was it some Doctor? Who?

130036_200.gif

Hew Marky, I got that same email. After taking a look at it I decided that I didn't want to figure it out.

The thing that would suck about a time cache is to open it up and see you're future self already logged it in the past leaving you in a paradox conundrum.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on August 11, 2003 at 11:12 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

The thing that would suck about a time cache is to open it up and see you're future self already logged it in the past leaving you in a paradox conundrum.

Even worse, you might become your own grandpa. icon_frown.gif

130036_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Speaking of spam, of course you've probably seen those e-mails from some Nigerian government official who wants to put 75 million bucks in your bank account, or something similar. Ever wonder what happens if you respond to these scammers? Check the http://www.scamorama.com/ for some hilarious correspondences from people who answered, simply to string these scammmers along. One person posed as Harry Potter and told the scammer he needed money for a new roof for Hogwarts school. They may be scammers, but they are by and large, pretty stupid.

In some instances the scammers themselves were scammed by the people they were trying to scam. One ingenious person had a scammer send him some gold nuggets, so his "metallurgist could test them for purity", before he closed a "deal" on a Ghana gold mine.

Here are several of the better ones. They are long, but funny!

http://www.scamorama.com/margaret-timi.html person pretented to be Princess Margaret

http://www.scamorama.com/pierpont1.html is guy who scammed the scammer

http://www.scamorama.com/smith-okoro.html one is just plain funny (he got the guy to send a photo with him holding a sign that says Ima Dildo).

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

MAN, I made a spectacle of myself laughing at my desk in a relatively quiet office setting! That's some funny stuff!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Well-Adjusted Family?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Good point! I'll add that one to a cache I'm working on dedicated to those on the theme of Gallagher's Spoon-Fork monologue. (Take a trinket, leave a spork attached to your oxymoron.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

I read somewhere that going back in time for the specific purpose of becoming your own great grandfather is nothing that a reasonably well adjusted family can't handle. icon_wink.gif

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

You do read too much R.A.H.!

Ever since I posted that, I can't get the voice of Tom Arnold singing, "I'm My Own Grandpa" outta my head. The worst part is that I can't remember all the words. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

I'm My Own Grandpa

( by Lonzo & Oscar )

It sounds funny, I know,

But it really is so,

Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

Now many, many years ago, when I was twenty-three,

I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red.

My father fell in love with her, and soon they, too, were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life,

My daughter was my mother, cause she was my father's wife.

To complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy,

I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to Dad,

And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad.

For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother

Of the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my stepmother.

Father's wife then had a son who kept him on the run,

And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother, and it makes me blue,

Because, although she is my wife, she's my grandmother, too.

Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild,

And everytime I think of it, it nearly drives me wild,

For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw

As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa!

I'm my own grandpa.

I'm my own grandpa.

It sounds funny, I know, but it really is so,

Oh, I'm my own grandpa.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by cachecrazies:

Bitbrain

quote:

YAY!! icon_biggrin.gif You found Wilson - we thought he was lost forever!

I'm always lost in time - what time is it?

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

Since you're in Arkansas, and I'm in Ohio, therefore an hour ahead of you...does that mean I live in the future?

Because I live in the future.....I want my flying car NOW!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I pulled a good one a few years ago on a person that used a stolen credit card. I use to run an electronics store online and would get orders all the time from people trying to use stolen credit cards. This guy lived in Canada and used a stolen credit card. In Canada they have to pay Duties and Brokerage fees (If you send it UPS Ground) on items coming into the country. After finding out the credit card was stolen I decided to send him a box that had worthless items in it (A microsoft 98 outlook book, a stale bag of pretzels, and a very very old motherboard) and put the value as $650 on the box. I shipped it off (it cost me about $10 in shipping but was worth it) and was able to track the box. The guy ending up paying about $130 in Duties, Customs, and brokerage fees. I wish I could have seen the look on his face when he opened up the box.

I never heard back from him. icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:
I pulled a good one a few years ago on a person that used a stolen credit card.

I read about one guy who used a stolen credit card to do some online gambling. The funny part was, that he won a good chunk of money...but how do these establishments pay off? They credit the cardholder's account. So the guy whose card was stolen wound up with a credit for a few thousand dollars to his account (which is how he discovered the card was missing).