Ever meet another cacher while Hunting?

Guest echo2000

Guest echo2000

Just curious about etiquette.

Do you do a quickdraw and whomever pulls out their GPS first wins? Or is it the one with the best Fix? Just kidding, of course but what, exactly, would be a good way to deal with such a meeting so as to not a)freak each other out and/or :D spoiling the cache?

Newton sez: "Two Geocachers may not occupy the same Waypoint at the same time." icon_wink.gif

E2

Guest GPSteve

I have yet to run into another cacher while hunting. However, I hid my first cache a couple of weeks ago and the first two cachers to look for it found eachother along the way.

Here's a link to the cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8780 .

Here's a copy of the log entries:

quote:

October 15 by neoc1 (38 found)

I spend much free time at the Stebbins Wildlife Sanctuary. And since I've been to the area of the cache many times in the past, I was happy to have Jim and Patti (jimwest) do most of the navigation and to find the cache first. They hid it pretty well but with the Connecticut River acting as a giant collecting feature, the cache was hard to miss. I took the spring clamp (I never seem to have the right size clamp for glueing projects) and could not resist taking a couple of cable ties. If you could see the enormous tangle of wires next to this computer you would understand the need. I left a sturdy 12 inch wooden ruler (which barely fits into an 11 inch container) and a pocket toolkit set.

quote:

October 15 by jimwest (27 found)

what a great day for a fall hike, for the first time i ran into another geocacher, i had the pleasure of meeting neoc1 (tony), he walked in with us and then as we approached the cache he went off to birdwatch while we found it and then came over as we were leaving. (we had to rush off for a late lunch at big mamou's before the kids got home from school). another great cache, nice area, took cable ties, left a baseball...so you can play after your home improvements....

Guest techtreker

My most memorable finds have been those in which I have ran into other cachers. I have made many new friends this way. Several times after running into other cachers we have gone on to another hunt together. Great fun.

Guest Markwell

Back in May, there was a thread on this subject, but it does bear some updating.

When I got my GPS and went on my first hunt on March 13, I ran into another Geocacher. Since then, I've only hit one other cacher on the trails so far in July. So even in a fairly active place like Chicago, we don't seem to be at the saturation point yet of Geocachers per Geocache!

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 26 October 2001).]

Guest tmateam

Several weeks ago we pulled into the start of a geocache hunt at the same time another geocacher did. It was obvious what we were both there for, and my husband talked to him but he wouldn't say a word - just ignored us. (We're friendly people!)

We just let him go ahead about 5 mins and then we followed suit. We never crossed paths after that. He logged his find the same day.

I think some Geocachers could feel very threatened by having another Geocacher nearby. I don't have a problem with it at all - myself. If I ran into another person/couple while Geocaching, and they asked us to join the hunt, I surely would!!

Guest DenaliNW

I'm not sure if Markwell is hunting caches or geocachers. First he ran into one, and then he hit another. icon_wink.gif but I'm seeing another reason for not reaching the saturation point.

[This message has been edited by DenaliNW (edited 26 October 2001).]

In the first thread I had posted how I met Stayfloopy red(cache)handed. But I think I need to mention that twice now I've passed Lucien on the trails... it always is at a point that he seems to be peacefully into his hike...while I'm running a good 50 feet out in random directions (listening and watching for kids)...heheh I don't think we've every really known for sure who each other was, but afterwards it seems so obvious. Me thinks he hears us coming and runs for cover icon_wink.gif

It's a big world out there... nice to be able to make it feel just a bit cozier. icon_smile.gif

Guest McIrish

I have run into geocachers many times while hunting. (Hey Tech we gotta go again soon). I find it is just really easy to ask them what they want us to do.. Once we all hunted together. Another time there was a young child on his first hunt with his grandparents so we let him find it and we logged with them. Other times we have made them go away...jokingly of course. We had our community picnic and we have some very friendly competition going on. So, I guess the easiest way is to just ask them. "Do you want me to wait" or "Do you want to hunt together". It doesn't matter to me all that much who finds it if you are all in the same location. It is a little bit of skill and a little bit of luck when it comes to the actual find. It is the hunt and friendships we make that count.

Guest T-storm

The next day we went to a cache that is nearly drive-to in a quiet neighborhood with a very good view. As we were pulling up, a previous group was piling into their car to leave. They noted it was a good one and departed. Nothing given away. Have never identified other cachers when both parties were still well back into search mode, but if we did, we'd either talk to them to see who would go first or find something else to do for a bit to let them complete the cache before we proceeded.

T-storm

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by DenaliNW:

I'm not sure if Markwell is hunting caches or geocachers.

icon_biggrin.gif Denali - if I were hunting Geocachers, you'd be a 20 point buck. What's your current find number? 220+? icon_wink.gif

it seems if a cache is placed on a friday, then on Saturday a whole bunch of us cachers might be looking. On 3 occasions I have run inot another geocacher. Once I ran into not just one group, but a total of 3. It was strange yet nice to meet everyone. What is really strange is when you run inot someone in the middle of the woods and they are not geocaching. One of my first finds was about 2 miles inot the woods and out of no where this guy appeared,oh-yeah it was also raining and getting dark.

Peace And Have Fun On Earth!!!!

E=Mc²

Guest echo2000

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

icon_biggrin.gif Denali - if I were hunting Geocachers, you'd be a 20 point buck. What's your current find number? 220+? icon_wink.gif

Heheh. This sounded too much like Highlander. As the Immortals gained power and experience with each Head won so does a Cacher's power grow.

In the end... there can be only one... :D

E2

Guest barondriver

We ran into another cacher a couple of weeks ago. As we came around the treerow we saw him sitting at a picnic table filling out the log. He noticed us and asked us if we were looking for something. We smiled. He said that if we'd leave for a few minutes that he would hide it so we could find it. We did. We had a real nice visit with him. After we found it and logged in, we went on to another cache to find him again, but this time he hadn't found it. My wife & daughter went by and spotted it in a hole in a tree. We all logged in together.

Guest DenaliNW

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Nah, I'm just a little guy with little spikes. icon_biggrin.gif There is a guy named Denali with a lot of caches (I mean points) - back east somewhere. I'm in the NW. Wanted to call myself simply Denali, but someone beat me to it. Anyway, not worth the effort at all.

quote:
Originally posted by echo2000:

Just curious about etiquette ...

Well, there is no official etiquette. I would suggest just being polite and encouraging.

The one time it happened to me, I was very near the cache but not to it yet when I heard the other party. I decided to hide nearby, but far enough away so I could not see exactly where they were. This really was a lot of fun. I had to wait a half hour or better before they found the cache and left. I never did see them, but emailed them. Even in their response to my email where I explained what had happened, I could sense they were uncomfortable "being watched", and I guess I might be too if the tables were turned.

So, there really are several meeting situations:

1) Both parties are looking for the cache and neither has found it when they meet. In this case, if I had found it first, I would hide and preserve the thrill of the hunt for each party.

2) One of the parties has found the cache and the other is seeking it but has not found it yet. Obviously, the one who has found should not tell the other party where the cache is unless the other party asks. The party who found it should be encouraging, but I would not give ANY clues AT ALL. Not even "it was easy/hard" or "you'll find it no problem" again unless they ask.

3) You meet on the way out of the hunt and one party has found it but the other did not. Ooooh, this is real touchy. If I had found the cache, I would think it was OK to tell them I found it, but only if asked. I would not give them ANY clues unless they asked. I would try to not say anything discouraging to them for a possible future hunt.

4) You meet on the way out of the hunt and neither party has found the cache. Well, I guess you could just wail and moan together icon_biggrin.gif

5) You meet on the way out of the hunt and both of you have found the cache. Then you party hearty, pat each other on the back, tell stories, and just have a great time.

I still like the idea of hiding if you hear them first. This can be quite a thrill. If they do not see you, you can run through the woods and even make lots of noise as you break twigs. To them, it will sound like a deer or some type of game.

Lou

Guest Walkin Stick

I think Markwell was thinking about cache's with travel bugs! Obviously, in that case, all thoughts of etiquette are thrown out and we go back to run into (or over) 'em and/or hit 'em!

Guest echo2000

quote:
Originally posted by Lou C:

...I could sense they were uncomfortable "being watched", and I guess I might be too if the tables were turned.

You weren't wearing one of those sniper ghilli (sp?) suits were you? icon_wink.gif

2) One of the parties has found the cache and the other is seeking it but has not found it yet. Obviously, the one who has found should not tell the other party where the cache is unless the other party asks. The party who found it should be encouraging, but I would not give ANY clues AT ALL. Not even "it was easy/hard" or "you'll find it no problem" again unless they ask.

I think this is great advice that never occured to me. Little statements like, "No prob." or "Tough one" can really affect the mood of a Hunt, IMHO.

4) You meet on the way out of the hunt and neither party has found the cache. Well, I guess you could just wail and moan together icon_biggrin.gif

Beers on me! icon_biggrin.gif

5) You meet on the way out of the hunt and both of you have found the cache. Then you party hearty, pat each other on the back, tell stories, and just have a great time.

Again, beers on me! icon_biggrin.gif

Lou

Out of 21 finds, I've met fellow cachers twice. I had a thread about it some weeks back. The first time, we found the cache first and called the other family over to help us discover the treasures and take pix, etc. If we had arrived later than them, I probably would have waited till they came out, just for the challenge of the find.

Guest tecmage

Hi,

We ran into other geocachers for the second time. RG1202 had approached the cache froma different direction, and was logging as we approached. Hearing other peole startled them. We waited until they were done, then headed into the bush and found the cache. We walked out the to trail together.

Richard and Tracy

Guest TTracker

I've met other geocachers three times. Once there were a lot of hikers and joggers in the area and we were homing in on the site. We noticed another couple checking out the same area. We had a nice chat and went on to find the cache together. Another time the batteries crapped out in my GPSR and we were heading back to the car for some new ones--now I always carry an extra set--and we met a couple heading the other way. He had a GPSR hanging from a neck cord so we stopped and yakked for a while then we went on our seperate ways. They found the cache and we met them again as they were leaving the site. Then we went on to find the cache. I guess it's like any other hobby, when you meet people with the same interests. You get a conversation going and end up being friends.

Guest regoarrarr

We met someone doing our first cache. He was leaving as we were finding. We weren't really sure what we were doing or anything about the hobby really (I had only bought the GPS that morning), so we didn't even stop to talk to him.

As we were passing each other, he said, "Getting close". Even then we weren't sure if he was a fellow geocacher or not - till we read his log where he mentioned seeing us.

dan.

Guest bunkerdave

When I get to a cache and see someone else searching for it, I take the opportunity to take a few choice photos of "cachers in their natural habitat." I bagged me a whole family of cachers just the other day, when I returned to a cache I had found earlier (much earlier - 1:45 a.m.) that day to get a look at the area. Watched them find the cache, then approached them. They were happy to see me, and we enjoyed chatting for a good long while. Maybe Utah people are just especially friendly, but I have never felt the tension so many of the other posters to this thread speak of. For me, it only makes it that much better. A cache and a cach-ER.

It's happened to me three times, but each case was different. The first time, I was entering the trail system when a family was exiting, and they saw my etrex and asked 'Lion's lair?' (the name of the cache). They didn't give us any hints or give away anything about the cache (which was good).

The second time, I approached what appeared to be the cache site and saw some people sitting there, but I was too far away to see what they were doing. I wouldn't have minded talking with other geocachers, but since I wasn't sure, I left them alone (and anyway, I wanted to find the cache for myself). So I wandered around some other trails for a few minutes, and when I came back they had gone.

The third time was just this past Saturday. We arrived (coincidentally) at the parking coordinates at exactly the same time as another couple, and once we determined we were all there for the same purpose, we went after the cache as a group. We got along well and had a great time, and the team effort really paid off on this one.

There can be many different situations, depending on your timing, the personalities/competitiveness of the cachers, etc.

Zhanna

Guest BigDoggie

The woods in Georgia are literally CRAWLING with geocachers. It is not at all uncommon to run into each other. On a recent hunt, my daughter and I ran into TWO friends... an individual and a family.

As to what you do in the situation... generally we just go on about our cache-hunting business. First one to actually find the box gets first dibs on trading and signs the logbook first, then hands it over to the other group.

If you really wanted to be a purist, you cound flip a coin and the loser goes back up the trail out of sight for 15 minutes.

As has been said in these pages many times, it isn't a competition.

Guest AlienMonnky

The first weekend I was Caching, my brother and I pulled into the park parking lot and noticed someone standing around with what looked like a Magellan GPS. My little brother hopped out of the car with our eTrex and ran right into the woods. The guy standing there with the other GPS asked me a question about what we were doing and I tried to be vague.

20 minutes later we'd found the Cache and made our way back to the parking lot ... we actually got lost and had to use the GPS to retrace our steps. We find the guy still there, but with a few other people now.

They were having a GPS user-group meeting!!! He didn't even know a GeoCache was hidden in the location. And to top it off ... the owner of the Cache was there too!!!

Guest GeoForse

I've met geocachers on two separate occasions. Once we were seeking a cache adjacent to a converted railroad line. We saw this couple (we knew them from previous geocaching adventures). We walked up and spoke to them briefly--they said they had been searching for more than a half-hour. We started searching on the OTHER side of the trail and found it in about 30 seconds. Boy were they unhappy. In fact, they accused me of searching it out earlier so I could "spring" the find on them.

The other time, my G'daughter and I were walking along a trail, and getting close to the cache. I looked over to the side of the trail, and here are two guys hastely trying to conceal an ammo box. I walked up to them, and told them they were "making this entirely too easy". They feigned ignorance for a moment--I introduced myself, and it turns out we had been seeking and finding each others caches and finding other common caches in the area. We had a nice chat, and decided we would have to get a local cachers get-together sometime.

In both instances, it was fun to meet other geocachers "caught in the act".

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 30 October 2001).]

Guest Dixie49

Smitty and I, on three caches, have been beat by Mark71Mark. Two of these happened on the same day. The first was near our house, so we hit that one immediately after work. Low and behold, Mark had found the cache at noon earlier that day. So we decided to go to one down the coast a little. We get to within 400ft of the cache on the road, and there is a white truck pulled off to the side. When we get near the cache, we see a guy trudging through the bushes. Cautiously, Smitty asks "Is it about 100ft in that direction?", Mark looks up at him, with a little red radio in his hand, and says,"Is what 100ft in that direction?". We had a nice little conversation with Mark before we found the cache. A few weeks later, right after work, we went to find a new cache. When we got there, pulled off to the side of the road again was the white truck. Grumbling, we race to the top of the hill, to find that Mark had just beat us to the cache by a couple of minutes....talk about beat to the cache...Three times. icon_smile.gif

--Dixie

Last Saturday I was going up to the cottage when I noticed a car parking & family getting out at the parking coordinates for one of my caches. Really excited I turned around and when up to ask whether they were caching ... made awkward by a local dual language situation (and I had to switch to their language to make things more comfortable for them.)

I identified myself as the cache owner and happened to notice them while going to the cottage. Fun talking with them about local geocaching, particularly my caches icon_smile.gif (he's a new cacher). Fun finding out that they had been intently looking for all the clues to my multicache.

I'm convinced that I scared them off with all the details of how one person approached and another found it, and how I did each of the clues. They haven't logged either their find or inability to find the cache. I think I made another mistake by sending them a message through the email bot politely asking whether or not they'd found the cache. No response. icon_frown.gif

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but ...

Flip side is that I've only met one other cacher a couple of days after I set a cache to check up on the coords and someone comes up looking for it. Talk about fast!

I have met a few other cachers, but only on organized outings. Those were fun.