quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

Is anyone keeping count?

1. Oscar the Grouch Cache Las Vegas: Tupperware

2. Dam Cache II in Maryland: Ammo Can

3. Tunnel Vision "1909"in California: Ammo Can

4. cotton pick'n cache near Dallas: PVC

quote:
Does any other activity attract this kind of attention??

That freaky Canadian sport, Curling. icon_eek.gif

I really think that Dallas handled the latest one very professionally. They didn't fine the placer (ref: GEO-COURT), they understood it to be a recreational activity, and they didn't get all bent out of shape over the whole geocaching idea.

Oh, maybe an X-Ray could have been used, but how easy is that to get into places where geocaches are usually hidden?

I think the Geo-Stickers are the best way to go. In another thread, someone mentioned that a bomber could put a sticker on a real bomb. Well, yah, they could. They could also post the coordinates on geocaching.com. I'm not aware of any pipe bomb that has ever been detonated where the police have reported seeing a "this bomb is harmless" sticker on it. I would like to see an assortment of sizes and shapes of the stickers, though.

Of course, if everyone used ammo cans, the stickers available now should be just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

Is anyone keeping count?

1. Oscar the Grouch Cache Las Vegas: Tupperware

2. Dam Cache II in Maryland: Ammo Can

3. Tunnel Vision "1909"in California: Ammo Can

4. cotton pick'n cache near Dallas: PVC

quote:
Does any other activity attract this kind of attention??

That freaky Canadian sport, Curling. icon_eek.gif

I really think that Dallas handled the latest one very professionally. They didn't fine the placer (ref: GEO-COURT), they understood it to be a recreational activity, and they didn't get all bent out of shape over the whole geocaching idea.

Oh, maybe an X-Ray could have been used, but how easy is that to get into places where geocaches are usually hidden?

I think the Geo-Stickers are the best way to go. In another thread, someone mentioned that a bomber could put a sticker on a real bomb. Well, yah, they could. They could also post the coordinates on geocaching.com. I'm not aware of any pipe bomb that has ever been detonated where the police have reported seeing a "this bomb is harmless" sticker on it. I would like to see an assortment of sizes and shapes of the stickers, though.

Of course, if everyone used ammo cans, the stickers available now should be just fine. icon_biggrin.gif

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons:

It takes a pariond person to think that a piece of pvc pipe looks like or is a pipe bomb. An ammo box would make a much better bomb because its metal. I have thought about using pvc pipe and probably will in future this certainly wont stop me

Not to be mean, I will assume you really don't know, because it takes a naive person to type what you did above. Perhaps I am paranoid, or perhaps 20+ years in an army uniform in terrorist areas before terrorism became popular has just exposed me to more.

You want to see destruction, blood, and death. Give me a good PVC pipe, ends, glue, and a bit of electronics. Add to the mix some small nails, broken glass, box cutter blades, a box of BBs, and a few other special parts. BTW, the technical name for the added parts would be schrapnel, or fleshettes.

The military has developed this idea fo a fine art. It is called the CLAYMORE MINE. Pack it right, and you can even set it so the blast is mostly out and not up for maximum kill-potential. There is also a shotgun shell made full of small darts.

I would not think of doing this under normal circumstances. But under the right circumstances, I could do it, and it would work. Makes a great area denial weapon. If I can do it, anyone can do it. And thank your maker that we have police, fire, and othes who recognise the potential danger.

While hiking, you might see a beautiful valley with flowers and sunshine. I see it too, but first I see a place that would be hell for an ambush. It is the price some of us pay for the freedom the country enjoys. I hate some of it, but I wouldn't change what I did for anything. My son is just beginning to understand. He is a new CAV SCOUT, on the pointy tip of the sword. I hope he adjusts as well, althought some will tell you I am not well adjusted.

I don't know the answer. If PVC works for you, don't stop using it. I am not sure that anything is better or worse in this instance. And I guess I am glad someone out there isn't afflicted with the paranoia that some of us have learned. Sorry to bring it to your attention, I guess.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

C.A.C.H.E.

Colorado Assoc. of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts.

Hey, we have MiGO!

You know, The Fungi from Yuggoth? The Whisperer in Darkness? Eldritch horror from beyond time and space?

Don't they teach HP Lovecraft in schools anymore?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

C.A.C.H.E.

Hey, we have MiGO!

You know, The Fungi from Yuggoth? The Whisperer in Darkness? Eldritch horror from beyond time and space?

Don't they teach HP Lovecraft in schools anymore?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

around my area in washington we have many mountains, with or without trails to the top. at the top of most of them that i have climbed, with the exception being one, there is a logbook for all who summit to sign. all of the logbooks except for the one at the top of mt. adams that i have come across are made from PVC. usually 2" schedule 40 because it is durable, seals up well, and it big enough to roll up a good size log book inside. they look inherently like a pipe bomb, about a foot long with a cap on each end, but i doubt anyone who has came across them has had any fear about it. im not sure what my point is, probably just that my dog bob the wiener dog has more common sense than some of these people who assume anything unordinary is a bomb. then again this isn't seattle, most of us are repubicans, and it's not taboo to spank your kids on this side of the mountains. in seattle it probably would be dumb, although fun to watch, to put a geocache in a pipe-bomb-esque container. i have an appointment with my gps now. i'll rant more later.

Originally posted by seneca:

One of the first caches I found was a black PVC Pipe container (with threaded plugs at both ends). My immediate impression was that it looked like bomb - my son's immediate observation was "Cool, Dad it looks like a bomb". Maybe both my son and I are really dumb (haven't seen too many homemade bombs I guess) - but placing a cache in a Black PVC Pipe container, in open view to the public, with today's reality, is really really really DUMB. (even dumber than the "lowest moronic denominator").

That about sums this up for me as well...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Lapaglia:

The Coolest Geocaching club acronym is now

C.A.C.H.E.

That is the coolest name of them all

Ahhh, CRUD!

---------------------------------------

MOOG; Unarguably, the SECOND coolest geocaching club acronym to date.

CRUD: Caching Regularly Until Dawn

icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Lapaglia:

The Coolest Geocaching club acronym is now

C.A.C.H.E.

That is the coolest name of them all

Ahhh, CRUD!

MOOG; Unarguably, the SECOND coolest geocaching club acronym to date.

CRUD: Caching Regularly Until Dawn

icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Over and over, again we do this. OK, how about we all come back to reality? An explodey thing, if one is so inclined, can be made out of anything with at tightly fitting seal. It can be labeled as to what it is or what it is not. So far the BEST advise has been from ClanF; hide it better! The reality of this issue is that the harder you try to make something look innocent, or the harder you try to look innocent finding it, the more suspicious you will appear.

This game WILL be used for something illegal, immoral, or dangerous, if it hasn’t already. That’s the nature of it folks. You can’t prevent it so stop trying.

People will always fear the unknown. Those that play the geocaching game are USUALLY not concerned to find an ammo can or PVC pipe where the website said it should be. The others will be nervous. Their reaction depends on the degree of their nervousness.

These are all things that are outside your control. Your efforts will make no difference unless you had plans to make a cache that intentionally looks like an explodey thing. Seneca’s advise is always well respected by me, I seldom disagree with him. But even if there is a cache that looks “different” it would be one hell of a coincidence for it to be planted right where the cache page described a cache to be located. (You have to be a trusting kind of guy to fly with only one engine anyway, right?!) icon_wink.gif

The death of geocaching will not come from without. If it were possible to kill off this game it will be done from within, by members who believe themselves superior. This thread has already had one request for a new rule, mandatory decals. Bullsnot! (See, family friendly!) It’s not required More rules are not the magical solution to every problem. icon_mad.gif

I have (very loose) plans to use PVC for a future cache. I wasn’t going to use a straight piece but a Y union, because it’s bigger and looks more tree like. If anyone in the PNW comes across one like this and there’s NOT a fuse dangling out of it, - cache. If you see a fuse or a timer, - not a cache.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Over and over, again we do this. OK, how about we all come back to reality? An explodey thing, if one is so inclined, can be made out of anything with at tightly fitting seal. It can be labeled as to what it is or what it is not. So far the BEST advise has been from ClanF; hide it better! The reality of this issue is that the harder you try to make something look innocent, or the harder you try to look innocent finding it, the more suspicious you will appear.

This game WILL be used for something illegal, immoral, or dangerous, if it hasn’t already. That’s the nature of it folks. You can’t prevent it so stop trying.

People will always fear the unknown. Those that play the geocaching game are USUALLY not concerned to find an ammo can or PVC pipe where the website said it should be. The others will be nervous. Their reaction depends on the degree of their nervousness.

These are all things that are outside your control. Your efforts will make no difference unless you had plans to make a cache that intentionally looks like an explodey thing. Seneca’s advise is always well respected by me, I seldom disagree with him. But even if there is a cache that looks “different” it would be one hell of a coincidence for it to be planted right where the cache page described a cache to be located. (You have to be a trusting kind of guy to fly with only one engine anyway, right?!) icon_wink.gif

The death of geocaching will not come from without. If it were possible to kill off this game it will be done from within, by members who believe themselves superior. This thread has already had one request for a new rule, mandatory decals. Bullsnot! (See, family friendly!) It’s not required More rules are not the magical solution to every problem. icon_mad.gif

I have (very loose) plans to use PVC for a future cache. I wasn’t going to use a straight piece but a Y union, because it’s bigger and looks more tree like. If anyone in the PNW comes across one like this and there’s NOT a fuse dangling out of it, - cache. If you see a fuse or a timer, - not a cache.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

For what it's worth, this particular cache DID LOOK LIKE A BOMB. It was in a small park in a small community south of Dallas. It was close enough to houses that IF it HAD been a bomb, it could have done some damage.

I'm really almost surprised it took this long to get blown up. When I visited the cache in January, a couple of non-cachers stumbled on it shortly after I replaced it, and I thought they were going to call the police. I was somewhat concerned I'd get blamed.

It's true that any kind of cache CAN get blown up. However, I imagine that those that LOOK like a bomb have a greater chance of meeting a bomb squad than those that don't. C'mon, use common sense, especially in populated areas. Ammo cans and PVC pipe are GREAT if well-hidden out in the middle of nowhere, but we're asking for trouble if we keep placing them in city parks. Tupperware/Rubbermaid/etc. isn't nearly as durable or water-tight, but looks a whole lot less suspicious if found by an outsider. Sure, clear Rubbermaid containers can be (and have been) blown up, but still, they look a lot less threatening.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Over and over, again we do this. OK, how about we all come back to reality? An explodey thing, if one is so inclined, can be made out of anything with at tightly fitting seal.

(BIGSNIP)

Bullsnot! (See, family friendly!) It’s not required More rules are not the magical solution to every problem. icon_mad.gif

Criminal,

You need to stop holding things back... Tell us what you really feel! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

I got your pipe bomb, right HERE!!! (swangin')

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

1.) Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

quote:

Over and over, again we do this. OK, how about we all come back to reality? An explodey thing, if one is so inclined, can be made out of anything with at tightly fitting seal.

(BIGSNIP)

Bullsnot! (See, family friendly!) It’s not required More rules are not the magical solution to every problem. icon_mad.gif

Criminal,

You need to stop holding things back... Tell us what you really feel! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

Proper placement is the key. I have a hard time with caches that are placed where a cacher can be seen from a parking lot if he is at the cache. Those would be the ones to be found and plundered by non cachers. "Well I was just sitting in my car and saw this guy place a funny looking object" I can hear it now. I have been to a couple of caches like these and although they were fun they were difficult approaching without look obvious.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

quote:

(BIGSNIP)

Criminal,

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

Oh yeah, you be da bomb! Odd that you glossed overthe "magical solution" with nary a whimper.... icon_wink.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

quote:

(BIGSNIP)

Criminal,

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

Oh yeah, you be da bomb! Odd that you glossed overthe "magical solution" with nary a whimper.... icon_wink.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

If I'm on a bomb squad and get the call to come out, I'm coming out to blow something up whether it looks like a bomb or not. I'm not going to return to the station to sit at a desk without a little fireworks for the day. Once somebody places the call, you can pretty much expect that your geocache is going to be destroyed, even if it's a clear tupperware.

When the day comes that someone is hurt by a geocache, it will be because someone took the time to intentionally plan the action, with hurting someone else in mind. I'm agreeing with Criminal on all points except the one where he states the death of geocaching will come from within. While that may happen, I believe it will come from outside the community using the information publicly supplied at the website.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

While that may happen, I believe it will come from outside the community using the information publicly supplied at the website.

Or a conspiracy between the two.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

For what it's worth, this particular cache DID LOOK LIKE A BOMB.

I saw the pic, looked like a camoflaged PVC pipe to me, not a bomb. I'd be more suspicious of a bag of doot hanging from a tree, but does anyone think that might be bomb? Of course not, look right in and see what it is! We see cans, used diapers, and other rubbish lying about, all these would make better bomb camoflage than a PVC tube. Ever see an old tire in the woods? Imaginge how big a bomb that could be!

I rerally think the bomb squads have no investigative capabilities at all. Their answer is just blow it up, just in case. I like how they carefully remove a suspected one from the airport, set it out in the middle of the runway and blow it up! Once it's safely on the runway, couldn't they use a remote control robot or some other method to play with it? My only guess is spending all that money on explosives to blow up a suspected explosive justifies their job and helps with next years budget increases.

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

I like how they carefully remove a suspected one from the airport, set it out in the middle of the runway and blow it up! Once it's safely on the runway, couldn't they use a remote control robot or some other method to play with it? My only guess is spending all that money on explosives to blow up a suspected explosive justifies their job and helps with next years budget increases.

QUOTE]

1) What's a bomb look like?

2) Wish de-arming a bomb was that simple.

I have more than just a little bit of training with bombs, particularly IED (improvised explosive devices). Anything can be made to look like a bomb. IEDs are particularly difficult to de-arm as one never knows what type of trigger device, or multiple triggers, the maker used. I can assure you de-arming a bomb is nothing like the TV characters do it. Remote control devices don't work well de-arming. Not fine enough controls nor the ability to see exactly what you need to do.

What a hoot!!! Sorry for the cache being blown up and all, as I have a friend who is part of the bomb squad unit here, and he jokingly said he would do the same thing to one of my caches. Just kinda funny, though. I don't know why, but as soon as I read it, I became overwhelmed with laughter. Something like this:

Front page of local newspaper:

"Pipe bomb discovered - and immediately destroyed by local bomb squad." Upon seeing such a title, the cache owners are sure to read the article. Upon seeing the description, location and possibly other items stated about the "cache pipe", their jaws drop. "Holy sh**!!! that's our cache!!!!" Oh well, a bit of sadness on one end, and an "explosive" amount of laughter here... Sorry, just had to reply icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

What a hoot!!! Sorry for the cache being blown up and all, as I have a friend who is part of the bomb squad unit here, and he jokingly said he would do the same thing to one of my caches. Just kinda funny, though. I don't know why, but as soon as I read it, I became overwhelmed with laughter. Something like this:

Front page of local newspaper:

"Pipe bomb discovered - and immediately destroyed by local bomb squad." Upon seeing such a title, the cache owners are sure to read the article. Upon seeing the description, location and possibly other items stated about the "cache pipe", their jaws drop. "Holy sh**!!! that's our cache!!!!" Oh well, a bit of sadness on one end, and an "explosive" amount of laughter here... Sorry, just had to reply icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Let me restate.... We don't have an actual bomb squad here that my buddy works with... He does, though, work in conjunction with the state and local police and their means of containing these bombs and such...This additional statement was made just in case if a local sees this post and claims that I'm a crazed lunatic who has no sence of location, therefore getting on here and calling me a liar...Thanks

Theres no bomb squad in Southwest Virginia you crazed lunatic with no sense of location.

LIAR

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Theres no bomb squad in Southwest Virginia you crazed lunatic with no sense of location.

LIAR

icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

quote:

I saw the pic, looked like a camoflaged PVC pipe to me, not a bomb.

I saw the cache container itself, not just the picture. Yes, it looked like a camoflaged PVC pipe, because that's what it was. However, my initial reaction when I first saw the cache was, this thing looks really suspicious, and could easily be mistaken for a bomb.

We've got terrorists putting bombs in their shoes; what's to keep 'em from making a bomb out of PVC pipe? I agree, a PVC pipe isn't going to produce a whole lot of shrapnel, but neither is a shoe.

Lets face it, there are ignorant people around who see anything remotely suspicious, and they're going to call the police. 9-11 paranoia is still running rampant. The police aren't going to take any risks if they think there's any chance whatsoever that what they've found is a bomb. So most of them will destroy a suspicious unidentified object first, and ask questions later.

Whether this is good training or sheer ignorance is beside the point. The point is, as geocachers, it makes sense to take steps to try to prevent caches from accidentally being found, as well as making caches, especially in populated areas, look less suspicious. Clear labeling would help. Transparent containers would help. Avoiding containers that even remotely resemble an explosive device would help.

Will more clearly labeled transparent Rubbermaid containers get blown up? Probably, although that would be rather stupid. But why give them any kind of rational reason to suspect a cache is potentially dangerous?

25021_1200.gif

I love this topic......each and every time it comes up.

Problem: Caches getting blown up.

Solution: It's already been stated. Hide them better. If there is no way possible for an outsider to ever catch a glimpse of the cache then the police will never be called. You could glue a fuse to the outside and hide a ticking alarm clock inside your genuine surplus MK-84 bomb casing geocache and be perfectly safe.

Ahh, but the solution has a problem of it's own. Now we have to put some real thought into our cache locations. Behind a bush at the local park will no longer do. We will have to live with quality over quantity. Can we do it? You don't want to hear my answer.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Hiemdahl:

OK, I was not aware that someone destroyed a cache in a transparent container. I will then formally retract my post. However, I do think that detonating such an obviously harmless object is an over reaction.

Hiemdahl

Scenario 1:

1. Build a bomb.

2. Place it in a clear tupperware container.

3. Surround it with some keychains and other harmless looking trinkets.

Obviously harmless, right?

I think you think you're thinking of an EMPTY transparent tupperware container. If a paranoid person sees ANY container in a suspicious context, they will not (and sensisbly so) get close enough to examine the details of the contents.

Scenario 2:

1. Build a time bomb.

2. Put it a container clearly marked with "This is not bomb, please contact such and such at such and such a phone number or web site"

3. Ask your self how much time the bomb-squad will spend tracking down the owner before acting to protect the public and set your timer 1 second shorter.

It stuns me how many people seem to think that safety and law enforcement professionals should be psychic: "Gosh, any dumb cop should realize that _I'M_ not a criminal! They should magically know who I am and what I was doing and trust me!"

You want to be a considerate cacher? Hide caches where they won't easily be found by non-cachers, as was said above. No sense causing false alarms. Use the best container for the job, hide it well, and if it should be found and destroyed, consider yourself lucky that you have people working to protect you.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

: "Gosh, any dumb cop should realize that _I'M_ not a criminal! They should magically know who I am and what I was doing and trust me!"

ApK

Uh oh..........

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

I believe it will come from outside the community using the information publicly supplied at the website.

Odd...I thought the definition of "this community" IS "people who use this public website."

Or, by "this community" do you mean "people who think like me"?

ApK

You wrote:

: "Gosh, any dumb cop should realize that _I'M_ not a criminal! They should magically know who I am and what I was doing and trust me!"

I said, "Uh oh" because that dumb cop may realize that I'm Criminal and not trust me. Weak sarcasm.

Recently I was on base in uniform hunting down a benchmark, "Criminal" on my left sleeve just like in the pic. I was trying to pull up a metal cover in the parking lot outside hangar 3 when some Boeing employee came out to ask me what I was doing. She said I looked suspicious and the “Criminal” tag on my sleeve added to her suspicion. When I told her I was looking for a survey marker she started helping me. Maybe that’s the solution to crime; require the criminals to wear tags that accurately describe what they are. “Rapist” “Burglar” “Petty Thief”………….

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

quote:

I believe it will come from outside the community using the information publicly supplied at the website.

Odd...I thought the definition of "this community" IS "people who use this public website."

Or, by "this community" do you mean "people who think like me"?

ApK

I would define the community as those who participate in the sport, not those who stumble upon the site and use the information for means not pertaining to the sport. I'm not sure about people who think like you, since I'm afraid I don't know you well enough to know what you are thinking.

quote:

I said, "Uh oh" because that dumb cop may realize that I'm Criminal and not trust me. Weak sarcasm.

Oh...I thought I was in trouble again...don't worry, you'll always be "Criminal", with a capital 'C' and no article, to me.... icon_smile.gif

quote:

Recently I was on base in uniform hunting down a benchmark, "Criminal" on my left sleeve just like in the pic.

Really? Wouldn't that make you out of uniform? Or does the USAF really have such a rating? icon_wink.gif

quote:
“Rapist” “Burglar” “Petty Thief”………….

Sounds like the first three enlisted rates in the Mafia's navy.....

ApK, Petty Thi...uh...Petty Officer, 3rd Class.

quote:

Oh...I thought I was in trouble again...don't worry, you'll always be "Criminal", with a capital 'C' and no article, to me.... icon_smile.gif

quote:

Recently I was on base in uniform hunting down a benchmark, "Criminal" on my left sleeve just like in the pic.

Really? Wouldn't that make you out of uniform? Or does the USAF really have such a rating? icon_wink.gif

quote:
“Rapist” “Burglar” “Petty Thief”………….

Sounds like the first three enlisted rates in the Mafia's navy.....

ApK, Petty Thi...uh...Petty Officer, 3rd Class.

quote:

I would define the community as those who participate in the sport, not those who stumble upon the site and use the information for means not pertaining to the sport. I'm not sure about people who think like you, since I'm afraid I don't know you well enough to know what you are thinking.

There are serveral people participating on these forums who do not (yet, apparently) actually cache, and there (apparenly) people who participate in the sport for the sole purpose of vandalizing caches. I meant "people who think like me" both from my point of view, and yours and anyone else who's speaking, since it does seem like you (and me and most people, I think) tend to exclude people from the idea of community when they disagree with you.

But you knew that.

My point was to suggest we try to avoid an us-versus-them mentality in terms cache design and placement.

ApK

quote:

There are serveral people participating on these forums who do not (yet, apparently) actually cache, and there (apparenly) people who participate in the sport for the sole purpose of vandalizing caches. I meant "people who think like me" both from my point of view, and yours and anyone else who's speaking, since it does seem like you (and me and most people, I think) tend to exclude people from the idea of community when they disagree with you.

But you knew that.

My point was to suggest we try to avoid an us-versus-them mentality in terms cache design and placement.

ApK

Upon further thought, the vandals are indeed part of the community. Welcome one and all.

quote:

1. Build a bomb.

2. Put it a container clearly marked with "This is not bomb, please contact such and such at such and such a phone number"

Think about this.

I just built this "BOMB" I have enough electronics knowledge that I have set it up to explode when the cell phone rings (easy to do!). I placed a note on the outside of the bomb that says:

"This is not a bomb! For further information call 555-1212 (the cellphone number)"

How many of YOU would dial up that number while standing next to the "non-bomb"??? Again, maybe I just spent too many years in the military in areas where terrorists operated before terrorism became popular. My general rule of thumb here is, if you can imagine it, somebody else already has. I think the right answer is to A.) Hide it real good. and B.) Expect the public authorities to"play it safe" if it is found. Were I the scene commander, I wouldn't risk the little finger of one of my men just to see what it was!

Some day, if anybody wants to see it, I will post a photo of a white empty box I have. It has a paper taped to it that says "SSG O's bomb, and a picture of a bomb on it. We were in a high terrorist threat area, and I wouldn't risk my soldiers on a plain white box outside our gate. I made the call, and I accept the ribbing, I never lost a single soldier. The EOD guys gave me the "EMPTY" white box as a souvenir. A funny story from a more serious time. I say, let them blow up my cache.... It was cheap and I can make another.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I am suprised alot of people think bomb before they think "drug trading". You know some one places drugs out in the woods, then the buyer comes and takes it and leaves money (you know what will happen if he does not).

Wyatt W.

does anyone know what my points is? I sure don't.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.