PVC Pipe = Pipe Bomb?

Many years ago security found an "abandoned" briefcase in the state capitol building. Cause for great concern and immediate action. Try to find who it belongs to? Nay so. Security can't wait for that. Bomb squad? Takes too long. Security chief, having watched all the episodes of Police Squad and not quite as smart as Frank Drebin, proceeds to drag the briefcase in front of the state capitol and fire at it with a shotgun. After several rounds the briefcase was opened to reveal someone's now well ventilated BVDs and formerly neatly typed legislative position papers. D'oh!

Common sense would tell someone not to make a cache container that looks like a pipe bomb - but then again, probably half of us have at least one cache hidden in an ammo box. icon_smile.gif

So, yeah - I think no matter what the container, sometimes this is just going to happen. But in general, avoiding pipe bomb-ish containers is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking of writing "I won't blow you up, so please don't blow ME up." on all my future cache containers. j/k

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Common sense would tell someone not to make a cache container that looks like a pipe bomb - but then again, probably half of us have at least one cache hidden in an ammo box. icon_smile.gif

So, yeah - I think no matter what the container, sometimes this is just going to happen. But in general, avoiding pipe bomb-ish containers is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking of writing "I won't blow you up, so please don't blow ME up." on all my future cache containers. j/k

toe.gif

Just received permission from the local Park Superintendant to place cache, he was'nt going to approve it until I told him I had already notified the local PD about the proposed location and contents. Kinda headed it off at the pass just in case somebody does find it and call the police.

-------------------------------------------------

"Big Mouth don't make a big man"--John Wayne

IMO, the cache did not "require the bomb squad to respond from Dallas"--people required that. If the park management didn't know what this cache was doing there, then someone messed up.

If park management knew about it and the police didn't bother to ask, then that's the mess-up. It won't do us any good to get permission if the permission-givers aren't in the loop.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

PVC makes a very effective pipe bomb - filled with an explosive, ingitor and something like nails or screws.

Much easier to work with then the old metal pipe model and more effective IMHO.

Don't ask me how I know this.

(and no I never made one)

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

[EDIT] Stupid Joke not to be taken seriously. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

[This message was edited by umc on October 08, 2002 at 08:25 AM.]

[EDIT] Stupid Joke not to be taken seriously. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________

[This message was edited by umc on October 08, 2002 at 08:25 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons:

It takes a pariond person to think that a piece of pvc pipe looks like or is a pipe bomb. An ammo box would make a much better bomb because its metal. I have thought about using pvc pipe and probably will in future this certainly wont stop me

I sold galvanized and black metal pipe (as well as PVC) for several years. We had all kinds of papers sent to us telling us what to look for if we suspected someone of building a pipebomb. No one ever mentioned PVC.

However, we have to keep in mind that those paranoid people vote with their 911 calls. Discression might be the better part of caching (isn't it supposed to be anyway?).

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Yup, bombs in the middle of the nowhere woods. Makes a lot of sense. Blowing up squirrels is a terroristic characteristic.

This topic sounds awfully familiar. Seems this was discussed a few months ago when some Las Vegas cops found a cache, and had the bomb squad 'sign the log book'.

All my cache containers now have "No Hazardous Materials Inside", "Geocache", and "Geocaching.com" written on all sides, and my name and phone number written one side in black magic marker. You can't proof your caches against over zealous rent-a-cops just looking for anything to shoot at, but you can at least proof it against those with a shred of common sense.

---------------------------------------

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

This topic sounds awfully familiar. Seems this was discussed a few months ago when some Las Vegas cops found a cache, and had the bomb squad 'sign the log book'.

All my cache containers now have "No Hazardous Materials Inside", "Geocache", and "Geocaching.com" written on all sides, and my name and phone number written one side in black magic marker. You can't proof your caches against over zealous rent-a-cops just looking for anything to shoot at, but you can at least proof it against those with a shred of common sense.

Son of a fu#~# bi!@#$ dadgum crap again!?!

here is one of the many times this has come up in the forums.

To repeat my position,

I will never dumb-down my caches or containers to the lowest moronic denominator. Go ahead, blow it up, I'd consider their stupidity an honor.

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

If I were going to hide a bomb that would be the perfect thing to put on the side of it

Yup, so they could call you and have the police come talk to you about geocaching. Bring you into the station so you could tell them all about it. I'm sure the judge would be extreemly interested, as would the jury, and executioner.

Yup, if you were going to hide a bomb, I have no doubt that's EXACTLY what you'd put on it. icon_razz.gif

quote:

If I were going to hide a bomb that would be the perfect thing to put on the side of it

Yup, so they could call you and have the police come talk to you about geocaching. Bring you into the station so you could tell them all about it. I'm sure the judge would be extreemly interested, as would the jury, and executioner.

Yup, if you were going to hide a bomb, I have no doubt that's EXACTLY what you'd put on it. icon_razz.gif

I see the point from both sides, on the one hand you should always be aware of the presence of (foul play),with anything that has been hidden by who,what,when.where,why. on the other hand people should not be so paranoid and fast to react in these type situations. It is good to know that there are people on the lookout for (suspicios activity),as a cacher I see it when some one sees me and wants to know what I am doing,most of the time I tell them, but like all I like to sneak one in,this as you know would draw attention if seen!!!.So just keep caching and hope they don't blow one of (ours)up again.I am also (cautios) whenever,whereever,with whoever.

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Sorry MOOG but the date has changed.

The Coolest Geocaching club acronym is now

C.A.C.H.E.

Colorado Assoc. of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts.

That is the coolest name of them all

:D:D:P

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Predisent, C.A.C.H.E.

Colorado Assoc. of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Sorry MOOG but the date has changed.

C.A.C.H.E.

:D:D:P

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Predisent, C.A.C.H.E.

Colorado Assoc. of Cache Hunting Enthusiasts

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Son of a fu#~# bi!@#$ dadgum crap again!?!

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=6980900335&r=6160910335#6160910335 is one of the many times this has come up in the forums.

YEAH! What he said! I think they need to force you to the search page before you can post a new topic. Then you might turn up some of THESE threads.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Actually my beef wasn't with the poster but with the subject. Most times though there are people calling for the banning of ammo cans. Remember this poll?

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

C.A.C.H.E.

Ahhh, CRUD! icon_wink.gif

MOOG; Unarguably, the SECOND coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

C.A.C.H.E.

Ahhh, CRUD! icon_wink.gif

MOOG; Unarguably, the SECOND coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Yup, bombs in the middle of the nowhere woods. Makes a lot of sense. Blowing up squirrels is a terroristic characteristic.

It does not have to be a terrorist bomb to be dangerous. How many home videos show some kids in a forest blowing up a pipe bomb just for the "fun" of it. I know if I made one and it did not go off (I probaly throw the thing to get even more distince between me and it) I would not go handeling it for a while(if it could be found after throwing it).

After all a place like this would make it rare to see any one else and lower the risk of being caught.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Be creative - use something you already have in your house. I was just downstairs making some instant tea and realized that the jar the tea came in would be a perfect container. I've already made a cache out of one... plus you can't beat it when it comes to impact. Lots of room for nails and whatever accellerant you want to use - plus the glass shards that would be produced would be amazing. Umm... anyway... icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I'm pretty much a dumbass - but I still know better than to mess with stuff that can make me get "blowed up real good." icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

Be creative - use something you already have in your house. I was just downstairs making some instant tea and realized that the jar the tea came in would be a perfect container. I've already made a cache out of one... plus you can't beat it when it comes to impact. Lots of room for nails and whatever accellerant you want to use - plus the glass shards that would be produced would be amazing. Umm... anyway... icon_rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I'm pretty much a dumbass - but I still know better than to mess with stuff that can make me get "blowed up real good." icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

One of the first caches I found was a black PVC Pipe container (with threaded plugs at both ends). My immediate impression was that it looked like bomb - my son's immediate observation was "Cool, Dad it looks like a bomb". Maybe both my son and I are really dumb (haven't seen too many homemade bombs I guess) - but placing a cache in a Black PVC Pipe container, in open view to the public, with today's reality, is really really really DUMB. (even dumber than the "lowest moronic denominator").

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

One of my first caches was actually a huge PVC container hanging in a tree along side one of our major highways. It was located near a historical spot.

That thing hung in the tree for months, totally visible to all passing traffic. A worker for the state even logged it (she came around to check a moth trap and found the cache). I think the one good thing I did when I placed this cache was attaching the stashnote to the outside of the container. As soon as you came up to it, you knew exactly what it was (as long as I wasn't lieing!)

The cache did eventually get plundered, but I don't think it was taken by anyone official since I was never contacted, and my email address was on the outside as well.

Looking back though, I think it would have been a much better idea to use some other type of container... but not an ammo can! I have taken a vow to always find some sort of unique container.

Actually.. I do still have one cache that is in a PVC container. It's clearly marked, but I think I'm going to look into replacing it just in case. I think it's just better to play it safe and have as few 'unique' conversations with the police as possible icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

One of my first caches was actually a huge PVC container hanging in a tree along side one of our major highways. It was located near a historical spot.

That thing hung in the tree for months, totally visible to all passing traffic. A worker for the state even logged it (she came around to check a moth trap and found the cache). I think the one good thing I did when I placed this cache was attaching the stashnote to the outside of the container. As soon as you came up to it, you knew exactly what it was (as long as I wasn't lieing!)

The cache did eventually get plundered, but I don't think it was taken by anyone official since I was never contacted, and my email address was on the outside as well.

Looking back though, I think it would have been a much better idea to use some other type of container... but not an ammo can! I have taken a vow to always find some sort of unique container.

Actually.. I do still have one cache that is in a PVC container. It's clearly marked, but I think I'm going to look into replacing it just in case. I think it's just better to play it safe and have as few 'unique' conversations with the police as possible icon_wink.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45 30.ish

W 122 58.ish

quote:
Originally posted by Little's Cache:

Maybe we can get the green/black "official geocache" in smaller sizes AND less expensive. The make it a 'requirement thatthis type of sticker be on all caches!

The sticker price plus the outrageous shipping cost gets a little expensive.

If they keep messing with the copyright issues, it will be hard to get a concensus on which graphic to use, one of the PD logos or Groundspeak's.

A bomber could just slap a sticker on the outside of the device.

As for previous posts about bombs in the woods being illogical and the reaction to the prospect overwrought; it doesn't make sense when your point of reference is a vast woodland of >200 sq miles. When its a park, its different. Sadly, criminal psychopaths aren't the most logical folks. Our friends in DC can attest to that.

Stickers aren't going to save your cache. If the bomb dog gives the signal, the cache is a goner. All the more reason to put no food, perfume, scented soaps, etc into caches. All the more reason for a cache of signature items only.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

PVC tube looks like a bomb!

Ammo can Looks Like a bomb!

Mortar tube Looks like a bomb! (heck it used to carry a bomb)

Tupperware Looks like a bomb! (I belive the first cache blown up was a tupperware container)

Lets face it in a post 911 world any closed container left were the public can see it is going to run the risk of being misconstruded as an explosive device. and it doesn't matter the size, shape, or design.

So here's my thought. HIDE THEM BETTER! Don't hide them near population centers. and when you find it, hide it just like you found it or better then you found it. and personaly Clear containes aren't going to help either. Some people just freak out at the sight of a closed container semi-hidden in public. And if a Bomb squad comes out they will detnotate first ask questions later.

Nobody in this game is going to see a PVC tube and tink "Oh No! a BOMB!" so putting on the website "NOT a BOMB" isn't going to help the muggles. because unfortuntly in a post 911 world Paranoia wins out over common sense.

and as for thinking, writng anything or a sticker on the outside that says NOT A BOMB or GEOCACHE or something to that effect...Right. No terriost is smart enought to do that to try and diswade people from believing it's a bomb.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson