QWIK POLL: DO YOU PRINT?

Ditto above, with one addition....I feel more comfortable with the cache page just in case someone of authority asks me what I'm doing at the location. Seems to me they would believe the printed page more than my word, as I am kind off a shady looking guy icon_cool.gif.

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

We use the printouts to write our notes on about the cache - then we save it and add it to a loose leaf notebook along with pictures that we might have taken.

Yep - it's a lot of paper clutter but at our age I figure that in a few years we can look back on all our geocaching experiences and remember what it was like in "the good old days" when we could still get around! LOL! icon_rolleyes.gif

Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

I print out the cache page and use it to write notes at the cache site. Once I type it in, I trash it out. icon_smile.gif

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Ditto again, hmmm, or would that be ditto ditto? Or double ditto?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I use print outs to tear up into pieces and leave a bread crumb trail on my way to finding a cache. That way if my batteries crap out I can find my way back to my car.

Perhaps you've stumbled across my handi work?

Just kidding.

Seriously, I have found crumbple up cache reports along the trail side on my way into a few caches.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Spinner & Plucker on the Palm m515. Cache info is always up to date that way, or at least as old as the last GPX file. The only thing I print out is maybe a picture if it's required to find the cache, but that's really rare now. Printing out cache pages really started using up a lot of ink before I got the Palm. HP ink cartridges get a little expensive after awhile.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

I copy certain portions of the cache page and create a memo on my PDA (Palm Vx). Once I find the cache, both the memo and waypoint are deleted. I do keep a list of caches and benchmarks along with the date found.

I have yet to investigate the various means of getting cache information to/from my Palm and the Geocaching.com site.

When I first started I would print them out. Now that I get GPX files from pocket Queries I just upload them into my Pocket PC and make any notes on my Pocket PC also.

Now when I do Benchmarks I have not found a quick and easy way to upload the desriptions onto my Pocket PC so I still print them out, but I don't keep them.

mustanglx

Actually, I print them out BEFORE I go to them, keep them in a notebook arranged by the road we're going down.

For instance when we hit 18 caches in one day in asheville, we started north, on merrimon Ave, and worked our way down 25.

Also all those points are saved in MS Streets, first as thumbtacks, then they get changed to dots as we hit them.

Also in the notebook still are the 20 we targeted, but did not hit. They can always be used later. We keep the pages for logmaking & have a second notebook of hit targets.

They say this universe is bound to blow,

I say we crank up the Calypso Control!

~Jimmy Buffett

~Someday I Will~

I have all the caches within 20 miles printed out in a binder. I keep it in my jeep, so when I am out and have a few extra minutes of time. I turn on the gps, see what waypoints are near, check the binder. Once completed I write Done on the page, but keep it in there for future references.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

We use a laptop with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2003, pocket query generated .GPX files, ClayJar's Watcher, and then sometimes my Palm m505 for writing down our trades as we get to the cache. I'm curious about this plucker & spinner stuff though, I might have to check that out. Does it really matter if it's black & white?

-Mike from Team Mixster

I used to print the pages, and make notes on them as needed. I have always kept an Excell spreadsheet with pertinent info (name, date found, co-ordinates, waypoint ID, etc.). I recently bought a Palm PDA, and I can DL all the cache page info for AZ all at once, including logs. I can update the spreadsheet in the field, and review previous finders logs (if needed), as well as making notes about trades or anything else I want/need. So I am now paperless!

Save a tree, eat a beaver!

I voted

quote:
I don't print them out but DO keep my own record of them.
but I have to qualify that vote. Sometimes I print them because it's quick and easy and I have all of 1 or 2 minutes before running out the door. It's usually a cache hunt of convenience when I'm involved with another necessity.

I generally keep track of my finds by copying the cache page and my comments to MS Word. I keep track of the statistics on Excel. I keep unfound caches' text info in my Palm M130. I like what Plucker provides, but it is memory heavy so I'm slowly churning through the unfound caches I have in that format and going back to the Memo Pad that works well with my Outlook. I download photos to the Palm to aid in my search when I get frustrated. icon_smile.gif That generally frustrates me even more. icon_smile.gif

I find the paper really becomes a handicap and generally becomes trash in my car. icon_frown.gif

Cheers!

TL

I have a Mapsoruce file with all my finds on it, that I use to keep track.

I download cache info from the AZGeocaching site to my PDA(SONY CLIE t655). I've probably saved half the cost of the PDA in ink cartridges.

I also keep a updated file of all the caches in Arizona on a my memory stick. The complete list is not the most user friendly format to view, but it has saved me a headache on more than one occasion.

Odd question: I print the cache page when I'm going out hunting, but I throw it away right after that. Actually I print a cache page with a Mapquest map on the back. That's because I don't have any extra street data loaded on my GPSr, just the default set of major roads and placenames that came with it. The only records I keep are in my GPSr and in the photos we take.

I'm also a Spinner and Plucker.

I have 2 exceptions:

1. caches that require you to look at a photo since I'm using an old B&W Visor. It was $10 on e-bay.

2. puzzle caches or multi's that require a lot of writing or calculating. It's easier than trying to graffitti everything on the PDA.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif