Trekking Poles vs. Ski Poles

We're thinking about purchasing a couple sets of trekking poles and we were just wondering if anyone knew if they're worth the extra money over ordinary ski poles. They seem to have thier obvious advantages like telescoping, sharp tip, great handle, but do they help in climbing more than ordinary ski poles? They do take up a lot less room as well.

Any info or experience with them would be appreciated.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I have a pair (and Hush does too), of trekking poles. They are 3pc telescoping light weight. The main advantage of the telescoping poles is that you get the right fit, I believe this to be where your elbow is bent more than 90 degrees, less than 90 and you are putting alot of extra stress on the elbows. Use of the wrist strap is really imprtant as it bears all the weight and is more comfortable to have a loose grip, while the strap supports the weight. We bought these for backpacking, but with the removeable/add-on snow baskets they work super for snowshoeing as well. They would also be handy on long day hikes or rough terrain. Ski poles may work just as well, only you lose the adjustability, which may or may not be a problem for you. There are some discount outdoor retailers that may offer sale prices on trekking poles at good prices. As far as the ones with shock absorbers in them, I think they are annoying and to noisy compared to the standard poles. If you are mainly doing short hikes a good handcarved walking staff would be my stick of choice.

No offense taken. I used to snicker at people using treking poles, that is, until I used them. They are invaluable to my knees when going downhill with a heavy pack. I use them mostly for backpacking trips. Plus, they are useful for putting in places I'd be wary to put my hand in while searching for a Geocahce, such as inside rock walls or inside hollow trees. Also, I can't count how many times they've saved my in mid-ankle roll.

quote:
Originally posted by Aladin_Sane:

Excuse me, but am I the only person that snickers to myself whenever I see someone using treking poles. I just can't help it. It looks like they forgot their skis. I apologize in advance to all pole users I have now offended.

Well, we are going to use them for hiking (climbing Mt.St.Helens in early August) so I don't mind if it looks like I forgot my skiis. If they help me out, they help me out and they're worth it. Heck, we used hand carved sticks last year when we tried the climb, but they tore a blister into our hands because they were slick and it was raining and the friction eventually got the best of our hands. I couldn't imagine trying to climb without some sort of pole/stick. I really do like to customization quality of the trekking poles (plus the easier storage). Thanks a lot for that tip on the shock absorber ones, we were trying to decide if they'd be worth the extra money, but it seems as if they're not.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I have hiked with a stick for a long time. The State Parks have some cheap light weight sticks (wood) that were really a bargain.

I always thought that trekking poles looked geeky and pathetic. I still do. I decided that looking geeky and pathetic may not be enough of an excuse not to try them. It takes some practice, but trekking poles help. I have not decided if two poles are better than one stick, but I am out there looking like a geek trying to find out.

I have used sticks (gathered enroute) and see some of their benefit while decending and crossing streams - not so much asending (I just can't spell today - ok I just can't spell - anyhoo). The only time that I brought skipoles (ignoring the time I hiked/skied tucks and other sking times) was when I was snowshoeing.

the 1st part of the trail was well worn and I caould walk w/o the SS but I was carrying the shoes on my back and my wife's shoes too. All that weight would be very hard w/o the skipoles - it was very hard w/ the poles. Another benefit was I caould rest standing up and take the load off my feet. I don't know if clapsable treking poles could have taken that weight. I'm not saying they can't - just I don't know.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I started carrying a trekking pole on some of the more challenging caches and have found it a big help. Helps me keep my balance if I step on a loose rock or root and is great to poke around with to help find the cache. You never know what is hiding the bushes.

while I have yet to run itno any wild animals or people, it will also help keep then at a disntance if you need it.

The only real advantage with a trekking pole is you can collaspe it for easy storage and adjust its hieght. But I suspect with a little bit of work you can remove the handle from a ski pole, cut the top down to size and reattach it.

Not my picture but I set mine up the same way. Keeps etresx face up for better reception, plant the stick in the ground to allow the GPS to settle and pick up the birds and when you get back to the car you unsnap the RAM mounted holder and snap it into the rubber suction cup on my windshield.

14514_300.jpg

Alan

I too used to laugh at people who used trekking poles. Then I started using them when snowshoeing, and soon for hiking. Regular ski poles will work nearly as well, but the trekking poles have the advantage of telescoping. This comes in handy when travelling, or when you tire of carrying them and want to put them in your pack. They are also adjustable. This is good since when walking downhill, you might want a longer pole and going uphill, a shorter one would be appropriate.

If you have the extra money, go for the trekking poles. If you are on a budget, the ski poles will work just fine

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

I use trekking poles for packbacking and love them. I usually take a 50 pound pack and at my age the poles really take the strain off my knees, especially on downhills.

When geocaching I'll take them if it's a serious uphill involved. They do make a difference.

Ski poles aren't adjustable, just not as good. Might as well grab a stick.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I often use my ice axe (even when not needed) as a walking stick, But I have thought about giving treking poles a shot. I see a lot of climbers use them now days, and only pull out their ice axe in the rough spots or for controled desents. They look like they work great, adding balence and distributing energy and power. I'd go for two, not one. Makes more sense. Humm, think I need to make a trip to REI.

4497_300.jpg

Personally I use a broom handle I picked up at Home Depot for about $6. It's about 65" long and about 2" in diameter, took a drill and a piece of rawhide and made a wrist strap. And, if something happens on the trail that I have to lose it or treat it real rough, I'm not out $60. The trekking poles are nice, but I'd rather have something that if the going gets rough, I won't fret over using or discarding it.

Just some food for thought.

argent

quote:
Originally posted by argent:

Personally I use a broom handle I picked up at Home Depot for about $6.I won't fret over using or discarding it.

Good idea.

You could buy 6' oak dowls in the lumber section for about $4. You could get a thinner lighter diameter too.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

While wood feels and looks better to me, the advantages to modern adjustable poles are more important. So I bought and use adjustable pole (Leki) that can be set for going up or down grades, collapsed when you don't need it. Since it's made from modern metal materials, it's lighter so carrying it doesn't become a burden. It has a knob on top that can be unscrewed so you can mount a camera and use the pole as a monopod. The tips are swappable for walking on concrete, dirt mud or snow.

Alan

Alan I agree. Their being adjustable is important as is their ability to be collasped and attached to your packpack if you want them out of the way for awhile.

While doing a rugged trail a couple of weeks ago I'm sure they saved my bacon a couple of times. One on a very steep narrow decent and another on a stream crossing.

Yes the wooden ones are cheaper and even free in the forest and I did that for awhile. But my lekis are worth their weight in gold and I"ll be happy to replace them should I break them. But so far, after many many miles they show no signs of wear. The tips are a bit rounded but they are replacable.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I've got a Leki trekking pole (like this) which get's me sneers from most people who see it. It's shiny, etc.

I like it a lot. When walking along logs, crossing log bridges, stepping across streams on stones, and threading your way on dodgy trails, it does a lot to improve your stability. It's rigid and strong enough to help you scramble up

steep inclines. It takes the strain off my not so great knee on downhill stretches. It doesn't way much, and it collapses so I can put it away.

Mine has a spring-loaded shock absorbing feature, which is useless and makes noise as you walk (ick). Don't get one of those. But being able to adjust the length is a key feature that a wooden staff doesn't have. Dome shaped baskets will keep the end from sinking deep into the mud, but will not snag on brush the way snowflake ski pole baskets will.

And the pole is handy for searching in dense underbrush, too.

I'd urge caution when using poles of any sort for this purpose. We bumped into some cachers last winter who were using poles and using them to hunt for the cache.

They found the cache first and whadaya know, there was a big crack in the plastic lid when we came over to join them. icon_confused.gif

I'd urge caution when using poles of any sort for this purpose. We bumped into some cachers last winter who were using poles and using them to hunt for the cache.

They found the cache first and whadaya know, there was a big crack in the plastic lid when we came over to join them. icon_confused.gif

I have ski poles from snow shoeing that I use from time to time. I only take one and it comes in handy when crossing streams, going up or downhill. Where I am the terrain isn't that bad. I like it more for digging for the cache but you do need to be careful. It would be nice if it would colapse but that's ok if it doesn't. The last few times I haven't taken any poles so for me to spend the money for treking poles doesn't seem worth it when I have ski poles.