Cache in/Trash Out

I'm putting this to the forums because I don't know where else to go. We have many state parks that are friendly to geocaching, one in particular, Long Hunter State Park has set aside 200 acres just for geocaching. In this area I have set out an eight stage multicache Ticks & Poison Ivy . After the cache was placed I noticed several Cache in/Trash out caches being placed in the Nashville area and thought that this would be a great idea for this area as well, we would promote good will with the local park rangers by cleaning up a very trashy area.

Long story short, the cache was denied. The cache approvers thought that the first stage of the cache should be a box with trash bags rather than a seperate cache. The nature of the multicache (without giving too much away) won't allow for a cache box. During the stages of the hunt you will go through many areas that need trash picked up and it would be best to have the trash bags with you at the start of the hunt.

What do you think, should I pursue this with the approvers or let it drop.

Thanks for your help.

A182pilot

He who angers you, controls you.

[This message was edited by a182pilot on June 18, 2002 at 06:47 AM.]

I've been peripherally involved in the Cache In/Trash Out program and am also frustrated that these are being denied. One of the reasons they are separate caches with nothing but a log book in them is to keep the logs distinctly separate. This allows us to point park officials at the list of logs that say "left nothing, took out a bag of trash and here's a foto" and not have to filter through the other logs. It allows us to provide a more focused view of the benefits that our game provides the park.

I think that the geocaching community as a whole supports the cache-in/trash-out concept, and that includes the admins.

But please consider that if one geocache gets a cache/trash partner then every such cache would have to be approved. It just doesn't make sense for every geocache to have another cache a few feet away just for trash bags. The admins have to think of these things when approving geocaches; not just your cache, but all the ones that might follow.

The idea about showing park officials a cache page with just trash-out logs is nice, but again it would not be practical (or useful) to execute it 1000-fold. I think that if we want to show park officials that our efforts are serious, there are other ways.

What I would like to see is new standard equipment for geocaches: Just like a logbook and pencil are SOP, how about putting in a ziplock baggies with trash bags inside? You could probably stuff a half-dozen or so plastic grocery bags into a ziplock and those would be a good size for most trash-out work.

As for the cache in question, couldn't you add the trash-out cache as an early stage in the multi-cache?

Cheers,

Seth!

Maybe I'm being naive here but don't we carry trash bags with us anyway? Don't we leave trashbags in new caches anyway? Don't we cache in/trash out anyway?

On the otherhand I gather that you want to make a statement about what we do to the park authorities?

I think it would make more of an impact to ask cachers to verify their find by posting a photo of their full trash bag in addition to filling out the log book and trading the trinkets. A picture is worth a thousand words, a cache find should be worth just one smiley face.

~erik~

I agree. If you take a picture of your GPS and your trash bag, I agree that is a cache find too. I have one placed that I have not submitted yet that is approximately a 1/2 mile from one of my previous hidden caches, and it presents two completely types of terrain and views. Why not reward the hunter with two finds?

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Maybe I'm being naive here but don't we carry trash bags with us anyway? Don't we leave trashbags in new caches anyway? Don't we cache in/trash out anyway?

Yes, many of us do. The cache in/trash out program raises the visibility of this tagline (hey, it IS the geocaching.com motto, right?) with both the cachers and the parks.

Many of us tithe, too, but I wouldn't be dismissive about church fundraisers. [icon_razz.gif]

quote:

On the otherhand I gather that you want to make a statement about what we do to the park authorities?

Yes, it delivers a more focused message to the authorities ("the following seven people were here on these dates and carried out eight bags...") and could serve as the basis of public interest press coverage.

quote:

I think it would make more of an impact to ask cachers to verify their find by posting a photo of their full trash bag in addition to filling out the log book and trading the trinkets. A picture is worth a thousand words, a cache find should be worth just one smiley face.

~erik~

The trinket exchange was consciously avoided on these in order to keep the logs - and the mission - focused and clear. Folks interested in only "the trinket thing" (maybe they have small kids or just aren't able to carry a bag) are encouraged to visit the other nearby caches. (Another reason to consider them separate.) The foto requirement was considered and could be easily added as that would continue to support the goals of cleaning up the parks.

Adding trinkets dilutes the clarity somewhat, but if that and the foto requirement are what it takes to get these approved, I think our locals could work with that.

quote:
Originally posted by ~erik~:

Yes, many of us do. The cache in/trash out program raises the visibility of this tagline (hey, it IS the geocaching.com motto, right?) with both the cachers and the parks.

Many of us tithe, too, but I wouldn't be dismissive about church fundraisers. [:cool:]

quote:

Yes, it delivers a more focused message to the authorities ("the following seven people were here on these dates and carried out eight bags...") and could serve as the basis of public interest press coverage.

quote:

~erik~

The trinket exchange was consciously avoided on these in order to keep the logs - and the mission - focused and clear. Folks interested in only "the trinket thing" (maybe they have small kids or just aren't able to carry a bag) are encouraged to visit the other nearby caches. (Another reason to consider them separate.) The foto requirement was considered and could be easily added as that would continue to support the goals of cleaning up the parks.

Adding trinkets dilutes the clarity somewhat, but if that and the foto requirement are what it takes to get these approved, I think our locals could work with that.

Geocaching as a sport/hobby includes the concept of seeking the cache, and voluntarily cleaning up as we go. It's already a wholesome thing and doesn't need to be whitewashed.

I feel separate trash caches in close proximity to other caches confuse things and encourage double-dipping on the cache point system. It also begs the question of why trash caches are necessary if all geocachers cache in/trash out anyway.

In lieu of separate trash caches, how about promotional 1-day trash/cache events? This would be a definite photo opportunity for media and officials alike. It would demonstrate first-hand what we're all about. I believe a photo in the morning paper of a trailer load of trash being collected, loaded up, and carted off would be more compelling than a log book. Many hands working together could make a very visible difference in a large area. A well-organized event could also educate beginners and introduce park officials (and others) to real geocaching.

-honeychile-

--

'*+.,_,.+*'`'*+.,_A joyful heart is good medicine!_,.+*'`'*+.,_,.+*'`