A chopped and channeled eTrex?

Guest raygun_88

Guest raygun_88

na of an eTrex? So, if one cut a hole in the plastic shouldn't one get phenomenal reception? ? the GPS equivalent of a 4-barrel, headers, and dual exhaust icon_wink.gif

Guest barefoot

I'm sure someone will jump in here with the RIGHT answer icon_wink.gif but I'll take a stab at it...

I think that part of the reason why this wouldn't work as well as you think it might is the fact that water is one of the best attenuating agents for the GPS signal. Meaning that the relatively thin plastic sheathing surrounding your antenna does not degrade the signal nearly as much as the moisture contained in the millions of leaves, twigs, branches, and trunks that surround you when trekking through the forest. So cutting a hole in your antenna case would not really improve your unit's ability to receive the weakened signal to the extent needed to make a difference in this case; what you really need is amplification. This is why the better GPS units allow for the use of an external powered antenna.

[This message has been edited by barefoot (edited 18 July 2001).]

Guest Jebediah

"This is why the better GPS units allow for the use of an external powered antenna."

"Better" of course, is in the eye of the user. For the outdoorsman on foot needing an efficient, light, compact GPSR for use in all-weather conditions, the standard eTrex is better, because it's right there with you on your shoulder strap, not stowed in a padded case in your ruck or left at the trailhead because it's too heavy or bulky. More complex units are not necessarily better, they are different, and fill different requirements for different users. Remember, some people have no reception problems at all with their eTrex in their AO.

The patch antenna in the standard eTrex is already working at max efficiency. If you have insoluble reception problems under cover, I'd buy a different receiver.

With regard to the standard eTrex, one of its biggest advantages over competitors is its IPX7 waterproof outer housing with tiny buttons and minimal water entry points. Garmin spent a lot of time and money solving the not-inconsiderable engineering issues of water resistance without creating air pressure imbalances.

What you do is of course your decision, but personally I'd never cut on my receiver. Anything sturdy enough to withstand a Korean winter & spring in a soldier's front pocket, jungle rescue operations or SAR use is worth keeping just as it is.

I think Garmin has already compromised eTrex integrity enough with the click stick 'improvement' creating yet another potential moisture entry point. It would be nice if Garmin got the message that their product lineup needs to keep at least one model that is simple, compact, efficient and waterproof.

[This message has been edited by Jebediah (edited 18 July 2001).]

Guest dustystar

It is obvious that wood or a covering is not the primary blocker of the signals - barefoot is right that water is a main signal killer. I tried to lock in on my patio with overhanging trees - no luck. In my garage with shingles and plywood and rafters but no trees overhead, complete lock-in! Same when I put it in by truck - the windshield has no effect on signal.

Guest Anton

Right...

If drilling a hole in your GPS doesn't help, you could try drilling a hole in your head.

Either way, try not to hit the batteries. Sheesh-louise! Give Garmin a little credit.

Anton, 10H/10F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 19 July 2001).]