Who to get permission from?

Growing up in a small town was great. Our scout master owned alot of land including a rather large wooded area where we used to have weekend camps. In these woods is an old cemetery (dating back to the early 1800's, spanning the civil war time). The cemetary had been abandoned and overgrown then and the only access was a few social trails we scouts made and some animal trails, there was no road.

That was 20 years ago. The cemetary is still on the maps. In looking at arial photos, there is still no road to it. Our dear scout master passed away and some of his land has been sold (though according to his wife, they still own that portion of the woods). She, and her children, don't mind us going there, but she does not own the land surrounding woods anymore. This means no access or cutting through private property, as there is still no road to it.

Has anyone ever run into this type of situation? Ting and I are working on a themed cache for this cemetary. In Indiana, state law makes township trustees responsible for the upkeep of abandoned cemeteries. Should I contact them about gaining access? I have an idea to let the local scout group create a trail to it and clean it up. They could also catalog the headstones, if they are not already (they were not as of 20 years ago).

Anyway, what do you all think? Am I putting too much work into this? Is there something simpler? Do you think I am fighting a losing battle?

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:
Originally posted by Bear & Ting:

This means no access or cutting through private property, as there is still no road to it.

I have no idea how your land title system works in Indiana, but I would be very surprised if the surrounding lands could be subdivided and sold without some sort of right-of-way allowing access to the parcel in question. There may not be road, but there may be a registered right-of-way. I would check with your Land Titles registry to find out.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

In New Mexico we are able to go the local abstractor (Abstract & Title company). They have plats of all the property in the county and can give you ownership info. Also, the County Clerk has this same info, but the abstractor often can lay hands on it quicker.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

In New Mexico we are able to go the local abstractor (Abstract & Title company). They have plats of all the property in the county and can give you ownership info. Also, the County Clerk has this same info, but the abstractor often can lay hands on it quicker.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Not sure about how you can arrange access to the property. But I do like the idea of getting the local scout troop to help clear and maintain the cemetary and catalog the headstones. Sounds like you could the historical society and local Geocachers to help out if plan for a specific day. It could even become an event cache.