Unzipping making me angry

kaauz

I'm getting very frustrated. I bought the Magellan 3.15 and could not get any closer than .01 miles, it was a 3.07version, which is about useless when geocaching. So I bought the cable to download the 3.15 version. I didnt know I would have to download these zip files. I didnt think it would be that difficult. Anyways, i finally go to the magup zipfile like it asks and it tells me to turn on the gps, so i do, then I hit enter and then it tells me its establisihng communication with the receiver. Going from comport 1 to com port 4 using so many baud. I've set for 30 minutes watching it do this, basically nothing. Anybody who has used these zip files, would you please help me so my son and I can finally find our FIRST cache.

Thanks,

slightly irritated, Kaauz

A zipped file is simply a file that takes a bunch of files and compresses them. The actually files you need are stored in that zipped file. A program like Winzip will "unzip" it (sort of like opening a suitcase), so you can get to the files enclosed. If I remember, there are about 5 or 6, with one of them being a setup file.

Don't know the web page for winzip (think it is winzip.com), but a quick search on google will find it for you. It's a free download.

I found that my Palm Hot Synch monopolized the com port and wouldn't allow me to upload software to my eMap. When I exited the Palm Hot Synch, which restartes on a new boot, my GPS problems went away.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I found that my Palm Hot Synch monopolized the com port and wouldn't allow me to upload software to my eMap. When I exited the Palm Hot Synch, which restartes on a new boot, my GPS problems went away.

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Kaauz you may have to set some values for your com port (usually #1 or 2). Check the settings in device manager and make sure it reads:

Bits per second (baud rate): try 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: none

Stop bits: 1

Flow Control: none

In the setup menu of your 315 set the baud rate at 4800 and set NMEA to OFF

I hope this helps. I'm no expert on the subject but had play around myself to get things working.

Good Luck, Olar

wavey.gif

As for zip files Olar, you had better get use to them if you are going to acquire any kind of software over the internet. It is the STANDARD for transfering files. It reduces transfer time and errors. It also allows the writer to package several programs and data files in a convenient single distribution package. I think that if you are going to try to field upgrade software the manufacturer has the right to expect some minimum level of computer skills.

My associate at work has a 315 and loves it.

one thing that might help is a hardware upgrade. the e-trex series from garmin works pretty well. i have 2, which i may upgrade (ie, sell and buy the latest) to rinos, which is actually a radio with GPS built in. this would be good for you and your son as well since it would make it harder for him to get lost (if you have two, you can keep track of each other.)

Yes, I am inexperienced at zipping. I have a cable modem and I checked my settings. Its said com 1 no modem installed and com 2 no modem installed, coom 4 motorolla sm56 speakerphone modem. is something wrong here?

Thanks for everybodys help, I appreciate it

The other thing to check when you do the upgrade is in the set-up menu for the software that you downloaded si to make sure that it is et to Magellan 315. When I did the upgrade it took me a couple fo tries before I realized that the default is the Magllen 330.

If you get really stuck call Magellan's service center.

What operating system are you using? Windows or Mac?

It sounds like you have NO com ports active. You may need to activate one in the system BIOS.

Heres how to check using Win95/98/me/2k/XP

If you are running windows 95 and up you should check and make sure you have one COM port activated.

Using your right mouse button, click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties". Now look in the "Device Manager" and next under "Ports". Does it say you have any COM ports activated? If not theres your problem.

Make sure there is no RED X's or Yellow Exclamation points either. That would mean there is a problem.

If you have 1 or more COM ports listed, try using AUTO DETECT in the upgrade software.

Hope this helps!

Kar from Team Shibby

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

I have windows 98, checked com ports, I have #1 and #2 as well as the printer port. The unzipper using so many baud goes to com port 3 and 4 also, my computer dosent show me having ports 3 and 4. Do i need to have 3 and 4? Thanks everybody for your help, I'm still trying and adjusting things as I get insights.

quote:
Originally posted by kaauz:

I'm getting very frustrated. I bought the Magellan 3.15 and could not get any closer than .01 miles, it was a 3.07version, which is about useless when geocaching.

I have been using my Mag315 for 150 finds and about the first 30 or so were without the firmware upgrade. You simply get within .01 miles and then navigate from the lat-lon screen, go n/s to the right lat then e/w to the correct longitude and find the cache. The firmware you have does not mean you can't go caching. I have since done 2 upgrades without a problem. I find that the Magellans performance in dense cover is so superior to the etrex's that I wouldn't even consider one for geocaching. IMHO, your milage may vary.

Rusty...

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

With the title of this thread, I was waiting patiently for someone to make a comment like that. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mushu:

_Forgive me Father majicman for I am about to sin_

Unzipping only makes me angry when I'm "going commando" and forget.

Majicman is watching ALL of you!!!

P.S. Mushu, you are forgiven.

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

With the title of this thread, I was waiting patiently for someone to make a comment like that. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mushu:

_Forgive me Father majicman for I am about to sin_

Unzipping only makes me angry when I'm "going commando" and forget.

Majicman is watching ALL of you!!!

P.S. Mushu, you are forgiven.

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I had the same problem with my 320, and for the life of me, I could not get it to work.(And I do computers for a living.) Tech support had some theory about it not working with the version of 98 I run at home.

I put the files on a disk, took it to work, and hooked it up to an NT Server, and it worked the first try.

Maybe you can try it on a friends computer or one at work? Don't give up though, the update is WELL worth the trouble I had.

Good Luck!

Laugh now, but I've got plenty to do when I'm the last person on the planet