If you leave a condom.....LOG IT! Better yet Don't leave it.

The 4 Childs

First of all, I think it is rather strange and unsafe to leave a condom in a cache(we could talk about that forever).But with that aside,

Why leave one and not log it?

I take time before we go caching to check and see what kind of items are in a cache at the present time as well as try to look first before the kids when we get there.(I am usually looking for spiders, but have added condoms to the list.)

If you dont log it, then others cachers are not warned, and can make a choice not to visit the cache, or remove it prior to the kids grabing it and saying "Mom is this candy?".

My complaint is with condoms, but I think this should go accross the board with anything. If you leave a McToy, log it! If you leave a rubber snake, log it! If you leave $100 log it! (so we can all run eachother down to get it)

quote:
Originally posted by The 4 Childs:

....I want to make is log what you leave, so other cachers can make a knowledged decision.

If you want to do a comdom discussion use "Cache Canucks" post and go there.

If you want to discuss logging and item, and why people dont...then post here.

I'm in total agreement. It is appropriate to log what you leave.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...we all just read (re-read?) this thread, then consider the matter 'already discussed' (at length) from all angles.

Isn't it funny that the 81% of people who voted for 'This a family activity, and I don't want my kids to think about what they're used for.' probably think that their kids won't have sex if they don't discuss it with their parents first?

I suppose they also don't let their kids go to the grocery store because they don't want their kids:

• to see alcohol.

• to see meat products (if they are vegans)

• to see vegetables (if they are anti-vegans)

icon_wink.gif

• to see aliens on the cover of Weekly World News

• etc, etc, etc...

quote:

....I want to make is log what you leave, so other cachers can make a knowledged decision.

If you want to do a comdom discussion use "Cache Canucks" post and go there.

If you want to discuss logging and item, and why people dont...then post here.

You're right. What I should have said was "...then consider the matter of whether or not to leave condoms in a cache 'already discussed' (at length) from all angles...".

Me sorry.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

+ to see alcohol.

+ to see meat products (if they are vegans)

+ to see vegetables (if they are anti-vegans)

icon_wink.gif

I never heard the term "anti-vegan" before. Now I know how to describe myself!

"Ughhhh...GET THOSE VEGETABLES AWAY FROM ME!"

Thanks, I am going to have a lot of laughs over that one. icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

A geocacher must have some serious issues to leave a condom in a cache. What would they be STUPID OR SOMETHING icon_confused.gif Even though my kids are getting older, there is a proper place and time to discuss this. Just so happens a cache out in the woods isn't the place or time.

Where has the morals, respect, and just plain common since gone to. icon_rolleyes.gif

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I think if people who feel compelled to place condoms would think about whether anyone would use it they might not place them.

I mean, who in their right mind would think: "Oh look, a condom that has been sitting outside for an unknown amount of time and visited by an unknown number of people that I don't know. I'll take it and trust it with my life, my partner's life and the potential of an unplanned pregnacy."

If you read the box, it says something along the lines of extended exposure to heat can weaken condoms.

They're not that expensive people! And if you can drive or walk to a cache, there's a good chance you can get to a clinic that gives free condoms.

-- end of rant --

But to be on topic, I agree with The 4 Childs: logging what you leave is a good general practice, condom or not! Perhaps another good practice (I've seen some hiders do this) would be to list what the initial contents are on the cache page.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

My complaint is with condoms, but I think this should go accross the board with anything. If you leave a McToy, log it! If you leave a rubber snake, log it! If you leave $100 log it! (so we can all run eachother down to get it)

I now log traded items only in the cache log book. As for condoms I really dont see the point of leaving them. Would anybody actually use one found in a cache?

quote:

Of the proper cache technique. Log your find here and at the cache. Log travel bugs and don't keep them too long. Don't put food in a cache. etc.

The problem is out of some 5000 registered geocachers how many actually come here and read these forums? There may be 10%(500) that visit occasionally of those maybe 10%(50) are regular posters.

I have found with my few caches that visits are logged in one place but not the other, travel bugs are taken and left without logs, improper items are left, caches are stolen or not concealed properly. Maintenance is important to keep your caches the way you want them and to insure that people finding them have a good experience.

While I am not perfect by a long shot it really makes me feel good for a cacher to to post a log with statements like "well hid", "cache is in good condition", "lots of fun" and of course "thanks for a good hide".

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around. Capn Skully

While I agree that a condom is not exactly appropriate for a cache item, I'm not sure I agree that all items placed in a cache should be logged on the cache page. Part of the enjoyment of seaching for a cache is the "I wonder what's in it" factor. I am not saying that I cache because I want loot. Most of the time I take nothing. But I enjoy the thought that I might find something unique and interesting. Having a detailed log of every transaction for a cache nixes that enjoyment pretty quick. I do agree that items should be logged in the logbook so there is some accountability. But I would almost prefer not to see those lists on the website... or at least have them shown seperately so they are possible to avoid if you want to retain the suspense.

quote:
Originally posted by cwoper:

A condom in a Cache site?Thats stupid and rank.I agree with hoovman.Why would you in the first place?

Sorry, I'm not seeing the problem.

While I completely agree that it's a poor idea from the aspect of durability, why does it qualify as 'rank'? Condoms are simply a form of birth control, and as normal a part of everyday life as many other items that are common cache items.

Perhaps a gift certificate to the local Planned Parenthood office would be more useful.

Ron/yumitori

Just my opinion...

This is getting too deep for me. Would I leave one? No- I wouldn't want to explain that kind of things to kids, so I in turn wouldn't want to force that responsibility on anybody else. (I also would like to think I might be able to make better use of it that as a cache item, if you know what I mean...)

Would I take one? Only if the cache was located in aisle 9 in the local Walgreens...

Peace out,

Matt

When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail. If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce.

-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Its plain and outright stupid to leave a condom in a cache, there's no other way to describe it. Its bad enough to find the broken toys, food, aol disks, and used golf balls in a cache but a worthless and to me, an adult related item, shouldnt be put in a cache. I dont even have kids to explain this to, but I still dont want to find the crap in a cache!

If and when i do find one, its goin in the trash!!!

Now as far as logging everything you trade, dont see the need for that either. As someone said above, its kinda nifty to see what surprises you might find in a cache icon_biggrin.gif.

I totally agree that there's no good reason for condoms to be placed in a cache as a trade item.

But I am surprised at the comments from people who fear their kids will see them in a cache ... perhaps it's different in your part of the country, but I see large display racks of condoms at every convenience store I visit, as well as gas stations, and restaurant/hotel restrooms ... even the local K-Mart has a prominently placed display. How do you avoid frequenting those places?

Personally, I don't think little kids need it explained to them, a simple "that's not for kids" would suffice ... while the pubescent crowd will probably know what they are (from health class in school or "the talk") and avoid them from sheer embarrassment.

I disagree that people should be obligated to log what they take/leave. The last time I checked (and I know the rules change daily), there was no requirement for cache owners to list the original contents of the cache, so why should anyone else be obligated to?

Besides other concerns mentioned, if someone is leaving something that people feel is not appropriate, to you really think that person will log their trade? I bet most caches have a TNLN or so on their logs, one more won't show anything....

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

A geocacher must have some serious issues to leave a condom in a cache. What would they be _STUPID OR SOMETHING_ icon_confused.gif Even though my kids are getting older, there is a proper place and time to discuss this. Just so happens a cache out in the woods isn't the place or time.

Where has the morals, respect, and just plain common since gone to. icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

I disagree. I've had some of the best, most in depth conversations with my kids while hiking. What other time do I have them alone, with no other distractions? I know they would actually be listening and paying close attention to what I was telling them because their interest was sparked by something they actually found and wanted to know about. The best time to have these conversations with our kids is whenever and where-ever the opportunity presents itself. It may not be how we planned it, but it could still save their lives.

quote:
I disagree.

quote:
It may not be how we planned it, but it could still save their lives.

I am going to teach my kids to buy a condom straight from the store, not a cache. I wouldn't want my soon to be 14 year old son using some condom out of a cache. A bad apple could poke the condom with a hyperdermic needle that carries HIV virus. So I don't see no lives being saved here. icon_confused.gif Think Again..........

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I wholeheartedly agree with Tomebug about being able to have in-depth conversations with my daughter when we are hiking, or driving to & from the cache. No TV, no video games, relaxing atmosphere. It is one of the things I enjoy most about geocaching.

But at the same time, I agree with Upinyachit... I want conversations to occur on MY terms, and would resent having a conversation about condoms being forced upon me due to finding one in a cache.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I want conversations to occur on MY terms, and would resent having a conversation about condoms being forced upon me due to finding one in a cache.

I doubt you intend that first clause as it reads ... kids react to that format by avoiding discussions of their questions/problems/concerns with their parents.

quote:

I am going to teach my kids to buy a condom straight from the store, not a cache. I wouldn't want my soon to be 14 year old son using some condom out of a cache. A bad apple could poke the condom with a hyperdermic needle that carries HIV virus. So I don't see no lives being saved here. icon_confused.gif Think Again..........

Of course I would tell them to never use a condom they found in the woods! icon_rolleyes.gif In fact, my husband has decided to use the Bill Cosby approach to teens and condoms...Make sure he's wearing it before he even leaves the house to pick up his date!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I doubt you intend that first clause as it reads ... kids react to that format by avoiding discussions of their questions/problems/concerns with their parents.

You are quite correct, BP! "MY terms" would include, my kid approaching me at ANY time with a question. NOT a question being thrust upon us. Thanks for clarifying that I'm not a dictatorial parent! But what would a viola player know about constructing a well-written sentence?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

I was the original poster of the condom in the cache poll. I was very pleased with the variety of opinions expressed, and I'm not surprized to see this thread reincarnated. I didn't go overboard on expressing my own opinion in my other thread, but...

In general, I see nothing wrong with condoms in caches. If your kids finds it and know what is it, tell them to leave it alone. If they don't know what it is, don't tell them anything except to leave it alone. It's not like they come with an illustrated instruction manual.

After I posted this thread, one cacher e-mailed me to thank me, because he was planning on having condoms made with customized packaging with his Geocaching nickname on them to use as his signature item. After reading the opinions expressed in the previous thread he said he'd rather stick them in caches anonymously, than face the wrath of "less-enlighted cachers."

On the other side of the coin, another geocacher e-mailed me to thank me for pointing out the unsafe nature of this hobby. She and her family would no longer be participating in the sport since "harmful" items like condoms and "rat poison" could be place in caches by unscupulous persons.

I find both of these positions to be extreme.

I would never use, and do not recommend anyone use, a condom of unknown origin for protection with regards acts of a sexual nature. But standard unlubricated prophelactics do have other uses. The most common use in a wilderness situation being for waterproofing matches, which make them far more useful than a McToy.

Condoms are harmless, lets not turn them into Kryptonite for Geocachers.

If you hid it, they will come.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

But what would a viola player know about constructing a well-written sentence?

I understand the "hobby" you pursue during daylight hours might have a negative impact on clear, concise writing. icon_wink.gif

Off topic, but as a violist I hope you (and others who appreciate live musical theater) have taken a moment to visit Save Live Broadway and signed our petition. Broadway musicians met between shows today and voted to authorize our negotiators to call a strike if negotiations don't progress.

I really apologize for the "brown bag" I work in a clinic and didn't realized that a brown bag was so insulting, (I thought that it could be welcomed by somebody) neither I read this particular rule, it's been removed as of today! there's some nice little things in this cache including a children bible, I hope this is not insuting to the unbeliver.....the brown bag was replaced with a barbie doll (not inflatable) just a toy and also with some little cars......by the way, you might even find a second cache there.

oh.....I forgot something.....I'm apologizing again for the brown bag. the brown bag was neatly folded with brand new "stuff" in it, sealed and taped with a written warning note about the content. And if one of my children would found this cache and asked question, I would feel that it would a good oportunity for me to explain them the "birds and the bees theory"

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Maybe condoms shouldn't be left at all. I think there's probably a rule somewhere about adult-oriented items in caches, and a condom certainly qualifies.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Oh hell, if they pass them out in schools they have to be a family safe item right?

The real place for this condom is on that nakid monkey equipped with a full package that caused a little discord.

Speaking of condoms my wife called me over and said "check this out" and she showed me these little things all rolled up that looked like condoms but were just too small. Turns out they were 'finger protectors' for her quilting. Go figure.

And no way in hell would I consider using a condom found in a cache. I'd just CITO it.

Condom's in caches, what next? Condoms in caches with a card that says" SWGeocacher, looking for ------- etc etc.

Common seriously, I can see the point of the parents out caching, but even for the non-parent cachers, how many us would actually take a condom from a cache and use it? That should be a poll " Would you use a condom from a cache" ---not I ! I would trash one out!

I think condoms in caches = bad trade items!

Beside that here in New England, by the time a cacher that would actually use the condom found , it most likley would have sat there for 3-4 months in the bitter cold, then got soggy in the aprill showers, then cooked for 3-4 months in the summers heat...Now tell me you want that condom for your next date!

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

[This message was edited by Natureboy1376 on July 31, 2003 at 01:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Natureboy1376 on July 31, 2003 at 01:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Natureboy1376 on July 31, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by JoeCthulhu:

On the other side of the coin, another geocacher e-mailed me to thank me for pointing out the unsafe nature of this hobby. She and her family would no longer be participating in the sport since "harmful" items like condoms and "rat poison" could be place in caches by unscupulous persons.

We've now created a new Urban Legend. "I heard someone found a condom in geocache once, and some guy used it, and later found out that the person who hid it in the cache spread the AIDS virus on it, poked a whole in it, AND covered it in rat poison! He gave AIDS to ten of his friends, but he also got a check for $5,000 from Bill Gates and a gift certificate from The Gap, so I guess it all evened out.

www.Snopes2.com , here we come!

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

quote:
Originally posted by JoeCthulhu:

We've now created a new Urban Legend. "I heard someone found a condom in geocache once, and some guy used it, and later found out that the person who hid it in the cache spread the AIDS virus on it, poked a whole in it, AND covered it in rat poison! He gave AIDS to ten of his friends, but he also got a check for $5,000 from Bill Gates and a gift certificate from The Gap, so I guess it all evened out.

http://www.Snopes2.com , here we come!

Yeah! Yeah!

It was on the internet so it had to be true.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.