Cache Hiding Help Wanted

OK, one option? Do you mean, read either one statement or another without being able to read the one you didn't pick? Or go to one place and not be able to go the other place? This little clarification will help me.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

So, if they guess incorrectly, then they can never log the cache? Sounds a little harsh.

How about if they guess correctly, they get the right coords, but if they guess wrong, they get coords that lead to a long multi in order to find the final location.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

Make it so both ways will get you to the cache, but if you choose the "wrong" one, the trip will be a lot longer and harder. If you make returning more trouble than continuing onward (make it a lot further than the next stage), then people will be less likely to backtrack.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

I want to make a 7 stage micro multi that leads to a big cache. how i planned to do it is only put the reall cache cords, in one micro and have a start #1 micro with only 3 of the other micros then they choose which to go to then at one of the 3 have cords to the last 3 so it may take some people 3 steps others may hit all 7 micros to find the main cache, basically try to confuse cachers with a lot of cords..I would like this type!....then maybe a twist put a combo lock on the main cache and they would have to find the 3 combo #'s and figure the sequence before opening the main cache

See you in the woods!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

How to hide a certain piece to the puzzle? I want to provide people who hunt a particular cache to have to make a decision between one option or the other, but I don't want them to be able to come back and take the other when they find that one doesn't work. Any ideas on how to effect this?

King Pellinore

They will always have the option to start over. I don't see how you can prevent it except as above making it a real hassle to find out you were wrong.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

BassoonPilot, I like your idea.

Out here we "have" lava tubes with openings that are just a couple feet across but open into rooms several hundred feet deep. The wrong trail would lead you across one of those, at night, and game over !!

Or to the edge of a large cliff with the last reflector hanging out thirty or fourty feet into mid air. Game over !!

Now, what would the ratings be ???

On a serious note, I was thinking along the same line of several dead end caches where you just have to keep going and going and then back for the "other" numbers. Maybe out for four or five dead ends, back to the second point and such as. A lot of work and time in something like that.

TTFRN, logscaler.

If you had a website where cache hunters can register and receive a unique number, then they have to visit another webpage and enter that number to make a choice. The number can only be used once per user name, so if their choice is wrong, too bad.

Be easier to send them over that rickety bridge.

I've been going in circles my whole life. May as well make a hobby of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Aristocracker:

Be easier to send them over that rickety bridge.

No! king Pellinore has already done that for one of his caches, right BassoonPilot?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'm trying to figure out why?

One reason for alternate paths is in the event an early stage for a multi goes missing. I've been thinking about hiding a multi-stage, and this is a feature I will likely add. (Sure, I'll go back and replace the missing stage, but in the meantime cache hunters can continue.) In that case, the abililty to switch paths is a desired feature.

If it's a puzzle cache where the person must go to a location and answer a question that could only be answered by visiting the location, "Answer A Go to such and such coords, Answer B go to ....", then going to A and finding a micro that says "Wrong answer, try again.", until you make the lucky guess seems sufficient incentive to make an honest attempt to answer the question.

If you're trying to prevent people from bushwhacking between choices, that is tougher. One idea is to line your micros up along the same trail (---A-B---C--D--). The micros could be as close to each other as say 60 feet. If I ignore the question, and just start hunting for micros, I'd have a lot of searching to do.

I've heard of people "finding" multis where they skipped steps. I could be wrong, but I think most people would try to play the game the way the hider intended as long as the game is clear enough to be understood and the game offers incentive for not skipping the steps. Personally I'd consider skipping steps a form of cheating, but I could see how some people would say that the game allows creative thinkers an "alternative". If step 9 says "if answer A go to these coords, if B, if C, if D" at that point skipping the first 9 steps and just hunting down 4 different coordinates is probably a lot easier than doing the 10 steps the way you're supposed to.

If keeping people from skipping steps is a problem, then compose the coordinates for the FINAL location from information that can only be obtained by visiting all (or most) of the steps. That would keep people on track. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by smillersmiller on February 07, 2003 at 06:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

How to hide a certain piece to the puzzle?

How about playing of human foibles?

List the coordinates to the next stage inside the front cover of the logbook--AND list the coords of the alternate next stage on the inside cover of the BACK of the logbook--but make it look like the front.

Considering how many logbooks I've seen also used "upside down" and backwards (the back as the front), roughly half the visitors (if the logbook is prepped to appear that both sides are the "front") would get different coordinates.

Inherent laziness would prevent their looking for another set (and the presumption that there isn't an alternate set). Even if they notice the duplicate, without careful examination they'll assume it's just a duplicate listing and not write it down in their notes as an alternative--for those that do however, good for them!

So there's my answer, I'd play off peoples assumptions.

Randy

PS: Keep track of who gets where and you'll have the results of an interesting psychological experiment!

PPS: Another thought that just occurred to me--list the "dead-end" coordinates, but put the "better" coordinates in a cypher. That way those in a rush will just run off to the "easy" coordinates--then realize they want to go back and do some work. They might feel "burned" though given they would be the "instant gratification" cachers (IGC's).

Although it wouldn't give the individual choice, but rather restrict them to a path without their knowledge...

What if you hid two cache containers near each other with coordinates in the middle such that either is within the error margin without telling anyone?

Once one is found, they'll move on to the next step, both due to anticipation as well as assuming there's only one container like normal!

(The chances of both being found are very remote, more likely with large caching groups...)

Always thinking...

Randy