pop ups

dboggny

It's the devil. He's possessed your computer. Only through here may you find a way to purge him for free:

http://www.panicware.com/products.html

The spyware remover (free trial) and pop-up stopper (freeware) will prevent most pop-ups, and will find those nasty little programs on your hard disk that probably cause the specific pop-up you're seeing.

--------------------

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

I dont get them but have gotten what looks to be pop up ads. They are not ,internet companys are using a windows messaging tool to use over networks. There was a artical about Ms turning this off on install and you would have to enable it if you wanted it. So if you using 2k or xp go into run and type services.msc and disable windows messageing.

Hope this helps

GeoBond007

Texas Geocaching

I recently replaced my ageing IBM notebook and had to re-download the Google tool bar. The latest version includes an excellent popup stopper. This really works well for me anyhow. If anyone out there is looking for a popup killer you could do a lot worse and it is completly free.....

Oh, the Google tool bar is a great thing too!!!!!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Sounds like you have some adware on your PC.

An excellent (and free) adware/spyware eradication tool is Lavasoft's Ad-aware I use that, and Spybot Search & Destroy (also free). I find each of these catches some things the other misses.

My final piece of defense is the Google Tool bar which has a fantastic popup blocker (and hey it's free too).

I take less than 15 minutes every few weeks or so (or when things act funny) and run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D, checking for updates (with the button on the app.) just prior to running them.

If you have never run an anti-adware/spyware program, chances are you are loaded up with them, and will most likely have a pleasant surprise next time you surf the web, after running them.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I surf with Mozilla instead of Internet Explorer. It's fun to go to sites which I KNOW are pop-up infestations waiting to happen, and Mozilla just keeps things so incredibly sane.

You can block images from specific servers too, like from doubleclick.net for instance and end up with blank, blocked banner ads as well. Sweet! icon_smile.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

A also suggest using AdAware and Spybot S&D in tandem. They make a great combo.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk:

You can block images from specific servers too, like from doubleclick.net for instance and end up with blank, blocked banner ads as well. Sweet! icon_smile.gif

I run my own DNS servers at home and work, and I killed all doubleclick ads by adding a master zone for doubleclick.net with a *.doubleclick.net wildcard pointing to 127.0.0.1. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bug and Snake:

I recently replaced my ageing IBM notebook and had to re-download the Google tool bar. The latest version includes an excellent popup stopper. This really works well for me anyhow. If anyone out there is looking for a popup killer you could do a lot worse and it is completly free.....

Oh, the Google tool bar is a great thing too!!!!!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Ditto on the google toolbar/popup killer. Great stuff.

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"