Any gamers out there? Combining RPG's with Geocaching

Anyone out there into role-playing games? We put on a Live-action-role-playing game a few times a year called Cthulhu Live and thought it would be fun to some how combine the two things together- Has anyone tried this? I know these are two pretty obscure hobbies so I doubt there has been much crossover, but I thought I check...

I thought it might also be interesting to get groups of geocachers together and have competitions or something.

Nationwide? hmmm..this could get interesting. I want to get a few caches under my belt before I start planning much, but I will keep you posted. The possibilities do seem exciting though. I am glad to know there are some fellow gamers out there!

Rocket-propelled grenade? Hah! I suppose that would be an explosive combination!

Melissa

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

BTW.... Metallica has a song, The Call of Ktulu,

Also "The Thing That Should Not Be", a very Lovecraftian song (HP Lovecraft is the author who created Cthulhu, for those who don't know).

I've also been pondering an HPL-themed traditional cache. I've searched for any in existence already; the closest I've seen is a virtual of his grave.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

vlip2.gif Now cache away, cache away, cache away all!

Actually, I haven't played Cthulu yet myself but I'm DMing a D&D campaign now. I've never tried live action either, but they used to do live action Vampire on campus back in college.

I think a crossover would be fun, maybe using coordinates to lead to clues or have some sort of cache excursion fit into the plot.

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

Wow! What a great idea. So great in fact that it earned my very first post on these forums. I have enjoyed CoC for a decade now but never the live action version. Whish is strange because I attend a local convention here in Tampa evey year where they run alot of LARPs but to the best of my knowledge they've never done Cthulhu. Anyhow, I guess it would have to be "Cthulhu Now". Do you usually go to the bother of making it a period game?

I've been working on a game which combines RPGs with Geocaching locally. It's basically a virtual board game. The caches represent spaces on the board and the cache hunters are the pawns which move about the board.

When the game is finished, players will download decks of cards (pdf files which they print out and cut) which give them their starting hands. Additional cards are obtained (and traded) by visting caches on the board.

Using a basic rule system I hope to be able to set up games with different themes/objectives. Still in the early stages. I hope to have my first game set up to play this spring.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I avid an avid fan of RPG's and board games, and logged a find at Gencon last year in Milwauke. I am totally up for some cacheing/RPG, maybe something can be organized at Gencon in Indianapolis next year?

I aslo recommend Jolly's publication, Knight's of the Dinner table, which is sometimes my only RPG fix I can get.

Peace.

Will cache for food.

chelsey, you should check out the cthulhu live yahoo group or PST productions site. PST productions travels over the country setting up Cthulhulive games at conventions- I am sure they make it to FLA once in a while..and yeah, so far all of the games we have held have been peroid pieces- one set in New Orleans in the 20's, Misskatonic frat party set in the 80's and the last one was set in the 30's- we thankfully have a group full of people who like to ham it up in the costume department.

Knights of the dinner table is one of my favorite comics right now!! that game you are working on, Jolly, sounds really interesting.

I have a few ideas about a local CL game that incorporates a GPSr, unfortunately I am the only one of my friends who has one so far.

I can't believe Jolly R Blackburn responded to one of my posts!! I feel so privledged-can't wait to tell my husband!!! Hoody Hoo!!

quote:
Originally posted by Team Cthulhu:

Anyone out there into role-playing games? We put on a Live-action-role-playing game a few times a year called Cthulhu Live and thought it would be fun to some how combine the two things together- Has anyone tried this? I know these are two pretty obscure hobbies so I doubt there has been much crossover, but I thought I check...

I thought it might also be interesting to get groups of geocachers together and have competitions or something.

"RPG" also means "Rocket-propelled Grenade" icon_eek.gif

Trish

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

Former gamer and brand new geocacher here (still working on finding my first cache, actually). I hope to take my dog with me on a few hikes. His name happens to be Cthulhu!

The mix could be a lot of fun! Haven't gamed in awhile - I mostly just read Jolly's work as a reminder of why I don't game anymore - but I'd be interested in trying out a combo of caching and gaming.

- netgeist

[This message was edited by netgeist on December 10, 2002 at 11:34 PM.]

Well, I couldn't resist naming a 7 pound cockapoo Cthulhu. It's funny to think of the 'Call of Cthulhu' as being 'here boy'!

I get great reactions when people learn his name. Some people call hum Zulu or Yahoo becuase they misunderstood what I said. Those that know the Mythos always say that they pictured him as being more intimidating!

Of all of the RPGs that I have played in my 20+ years as a gamer, it seems CoC is probably the best choice for using with Geocaching. I am sure caches could be set up with Mythos related stuff in them and would gladly set one up out here in California to help the cause. Once I get a bit more experience with caching, that is!