Is Not using a GPS cheating? Input needed

AlsidPrime

Well i've recently started GeoCaching, save for the fact that i have NO GPS... I've found one so far "pitt's spitt" and am going for 2 tomorow, and if it all works out another 2 on monday (thanksgiving....no school...YES), Simply put what i did was Look at the map on the Cache site, Memorized that ( i know the general area's of them all) and used a little common sense to find it.... now my question would be ... is this cheating? taking the game to a new level? or what... i'm interested in all input on this one... lol .....basicly to sum it up i'm a student....GPS's are expensive... And i still want to partake in this Uber awesome sport.... so i'm winging this... any ideas... Thanks!

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.

This topic has been discussed in the past,

and the consensus has always been that there

is nothing wrong with finding caches without

a GPS. Unless you actually follow someone

to find the cache, there is no cheating at all.

If you check the standard cache notice, you

will see that even stumbling on caches by

accident is valid. If anything, making do

with terrain familiarity, compass and maps

is an aditional merit.

Best,

Luis.

quote:
Originally posted by Alsid Prime:

and used a little common sense

Ha, ha, ha, ha!.....read some of the forums, you'll soon find that 'common sense' is an alien concept. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously tho, you're soon going to hear the pros and cons of not using a GPSr and how cheap one can be had for. I don't think it's cheating because I don't have one either. I hunt benchmarks, where a GPSr is not that important. You will find that there are some caches where a GPSr is probably almost absolutely necessary. One example is some virtuals require a photo of your GPSr with the coordinates shown. Faking such a photo would be cheating. I use www.lostoutdoors.com for maps that help me in pursuit of caches and benchmarks. I don't know how that site would help Canadian locations. Most likely, if you're like most men, you'll be saying to yourself, "I gotta get me one of those things". One of 'those things' is basically why geocaching has become so popular. icon_smile.gif

There's a cacher in our area who did a lot of non-GPS finding. I can only recall one time where she ran into trouble, when she was doing a multi of mine. She got the coordinates for the final cache, but couldn't convert them into a format that the mapping software would handle. The assistance I gave her was merely to do a numeric conversion...she had everthing else well nailed down.

Far from considering it "cheating", I am truly impressed by the meticulous research, clever orienteering, and patience that this approach takes.

evilrooster

http://www.bookweb.sunpig.com

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Well then, i'm glad the general concensus is positive. I went on my second trip today... Misread the clue... and the clue is really all i had going for me... never found it after and hour and half of combing.... i plan on going back tomorow... i don't quit...not how i do things... lol I plan on buying a GPS... Heh but i also plan on getting a job... gotta get Priorities straight here... Job first.. which then takes up the time for GeoCaching.. and hiking... then GPS... which will be useless Because all my time is in the job....Ironic how the world works isn't it?... lol bunk..

Thanks for the Input!

--Alsid Prime--

GeoCaching for a goal.

I've found a couple sans GPS. It certainly adds to the challenge. Probably even more challenging if you live someplace flat, where there are no contour lines to go by. The ones I did find were made easier by plotting them on Topozone maps. I can't see doing this in Kansas.

quote:
I was wondering about that myself, how would you place them. Check out the logs on caches Waldenrun placed. They seem to do pretty good.

Does he also PLACE without a GPS?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm