what causes a gps to be wrong?

What are some causes of a gps being wrong? My Meridian Plat. seems to sometimes be off when I am backtracking over the same trail. sometimes it shows me up to 150 feet off the trail I am backtracking. Is this normal? There was some tree cover but I checked and it was tracking 6+ satellites fairly strongly. If I didnt know better and I looked at the tracks when I was done I would say I took a different trail. Any ideas? Finding caches seems to usually not be a problem. Could it have anything to do with the topo cd I have loaded?

Its not consistently that far off. Its sporadic. But my backtrack trail is shifted. I mean It usually has a similar shape as the outgoing trail but its shifted to the side. Sometimes the two will meet, but like I said its sporadic. At least 100 feet off at times, maybe more.

Could be a bad satellite day. I've had days where there are 10-12 satellites scattered across the sky giving me great reception, then days where there's only 6-7 that are visible, or the bulk are all on one side of the sky. Then I walk behind a tree and cutt off 3/4 of the birds leaving me with terrible accuracy.

- - - - -

I don't know the exact algorithm. Every 200 ft or 30 sec or something like this, the GPSr stores a track point. These track points are connected by a straight line. Your real track between these points is lost. On your backtrack different track points are stored and connected. So depending on the shape of your trail, you'll get a deviation.

If it's a short hike you can turn up the track detail on the MeriPlat and it will help, but it's still a problem. If I turn mine off, then drive somewhere else and turn it back on, I get a track going straight from where I last was to my current loc. Just one of those goofy things. Makes saving track to route kinda difficult.

quote:
I get a track going straight from where I last was to my current loc. ... Makes saving track to route kinda difficult.

You can edit your track with MapSend. In such cases I store the complete track twice and delete the second part of the track in the first file and the first part in the second file afterwards.

quote:
I knew MapSend could edit the routes, but not tracks.

It's a nice feature. You have a table with the data of all your track points. When you click on a row, the corresponding trackpoint is highlighted on the map. By pressing the up and down keys you can follow your trail.

quote:
Originally posted by Cornix:

I don't know the exact algorithm. Every 200 ft or 30 sec or something like this, the GPSr stores a track point. These track points are connected by a straight line. Your real track between these points is lost. On your backtrack different track points are stored and connected. So depending on the shape of your trail, you'll get a deviation.

<wink>If it is 30 secs, (as opposed to distance)this is easy to solve then - Walk slowly!</wink>

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake