Why'd you buy your GPS?

was a Birthday gift. I tried the Garmin 12CX when SA was active and thought the GPS was some kind of "toy". I had been using Furuno LC90 LORAN C for years, onboard commertial fishing vessels, which is very accurate. I gave the GPS another test after the SA was discontinued and found the GPS accurate enough for practical use. Later started using Maptech software with the handheld GPS for hunting, hiking,and for backup navigation on boats. Geocaching a new outdoor interest.

I bought my gps after my sister emailed me with the link to geocaching.com. She was visiting a friend in San Diego who was into it, thought it sounded like fun and that I would like it. She was right! I read the forums for about 4 months before deciding to buy the brand new Meridian Gold. I also use it for hiking, which I do more now because of this sport. I like to see how many miles I've gone and at what speed I'm moving as well as marking great spots to come back to. Also like the tracking feature - it's good to know you can always backtrack! I don't get out as much as I would like as my job keeps me really busy, but I have become much more active and inclined to get out of the house because of geocaching.

dwgogo

I have such trouble w/ these new forumns - keep being kicked out tot he main page.

I bought mine for work to help navigate to client sites. Got the 3+ and glad I did (V wasn't out yet). I wanted to use it for hiking once I found it's usefullness and was searching for waypoints along a trail (didn't find that) but found geocaching instead.

Still using that 3+ and lovin' it

Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I'm curious whether anyone has bought a particular brand/model of GPSr, thinking it would be great for Geocaching...but after using it, wished you had bought something different?

No. Although I will add to my e-trex. I wanted to upgrade to a Vista but the new Rino's really intrigue me. I am trying to get the Garmin rep to do a product demo at a gathering I'm thinking about for June. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I'm curious whether anyone has bought a particular brand/model of GPSr, thinking it would be great for Geocaching...but after using it, wished you had bought something different?

No. Although I will add to my e-trex. I wanted to upgrade to a Vista but the new Rino's really intrigue me. I am trying to get the Garmin rep to do a product demo at a gathering I'm thinking about for June. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

My S.O. asked me what I wanted for my birthday last year. I thought about it for awhile and then remembered the show I'd seen on Discovery Channel about Geocaching. I hadn't yet found the website, but loved the idea of treasure hunting.

Since I live in the most beautiful area in the world (Northern California Redwood Coast), there are tons of trails here and since we do a lot of four-wheeling and all of those trails start to look the same ("Hey! Haven't we been here before?"), I thought that a GPS would have a great secondary purpose.

So, Steak bought me a Magellan 315 at Fred Meyers in Brookings, Oregon... and the case for it, and the car adapter, and the software, etc. But other than taking it out of the packaging, I hardly ever got to so much as hold it. He hogged it until he'd figured out how to program it, he programmed in our house coords, he drove down to the beach with it to establish sea-level... what a turd! It was pretty obvious to me, that my new gadget got grabbed.

I allowed this to continue, with a bit of grousing, of course, until Valentine's Day '02 came around. We were planning for our Geo-Xpedition to the Contact Cache and I commented, "I know what you can give me for V-Day..." I asked for a new GPS. One of my VERY OWN.

First, we visited the local Wal-Mart and that is where I saw the Meridian for the first time. I had gone thinking that I'd like the Etrex Legend, but I did some research for a day or two, asked questions on this forum and finally decided on the Meridian.

I love it! The mapping capabilities have kept us from being lost on many occasions (a cache done yesterday was one of those - none of the streets had street signs!).

The coolest thing about it? It is MINE. I constantly refer to the 315 as "YOUR GPS" and when I get out of the truck the Meridian goes into my pouch, next to my digital camera and PDA (yep, I'm a Gadget Geek Girl). There is only one thing that I don't like about it: No place to hook a lanyard. I wish I could find a way to hook something up without the use of superglue.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

My S.O. asked me what I wanted for my birthday last year. [...] I thought that a GPS would have a great secondary purpose. [...] But other than taking it out of the packaging, I hardly ever got to so much as hold it. [...] It was pretty obvious to me, that my new gadget got grabbed.

I allowed this to continue, with a bit of grousing, of course, until Valentine's Day '02 came around. We were planning for our Geo-Xpedition to the Contact Cache and I commented, "I know what you can give me for V-Day..." I asked for a new GPS. One of my VERY OWN.

I'm thinking rather than asking for another GPS, you should haved gotten one for "him"...and then grabbed it for yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGadgets Team:

My S.O. asked me what I wanted for my birthday last year. [...] I thought that a GPS would have a great secondary purpose. [...] But other than taking it out of the packaging, I hardly ever got to so much as hold it. [...] It was pretty obvious to me, that my new gadget got grabbed.

I'm thinking rather than asking for another GPS, you should haved gotten one for "him"...and then grabbed it for yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

I bought mine to help me locate new places to position religious tracts. icon_wink.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

ROFLMAO!

icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

I bought mine to help me locate new places to position religious tracts. icon_wink.gif

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

ROFLMAO!

icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

I help the local Sheriff Department with communications out in the desert. One time a father brought his injured daughter to our Comm. truck and the needed Life Flight for her concussion. I gave our coord's to a Deputy who gave them to the pilot. By the time they got there (about 40 minutes)it was dark. The helicopter came right in and picked her up. I had the GPS "just in case" and I'm glad I had it.

And she is doing just fine...

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

You didn't have this choice. I bought mine to help me know direction while traveling and discover geocaching afterwards.

That would count under the third choice, I'd say.

I'm curious, though...wouldn't a simple compass have been a whole lot cheaper? icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

You didn't have this choice. I bought mine to help me know direction while traveling and discover geocaching afterwards.

That would count under the third choice, I'd say.

I'm curious, though...wouldn't a simple compass have been a whole lot cheaper? icon_wink.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

I fly sailplanes as a hobby. When GPS first came out I bought an Eagle Accunav Sport. It ate 6 AA batteries in like 4 hours, but was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I could estimate winds at altitude while circling, know EXACTLY how far back to the airport, and while zig-zagging back and fourth looking for thermals could still break off and head in exactly the right direction if I was flying cross country.

Tried a Garmin 38 and proptly took it back and traded for an Eagle Explorer, then got a Magellian Blazer 12 with a truck tire promotion.

Later bought a GPS III. I rationalized that for outlandings having a nearly identical GPS in my vehicle would be a boon to whoever was trying to locate me and so added a III+ to the mix.

A relocation forced the sale of my sailplane. I eventually sold all those old GPS's and now have the III+ and a V. I still like having a backup that works similar to my primary.

I discovered Geocaching while I had the III+, the Explorer, and the Blazer.

I will be doing some more flying soon, so the autorouteable V will be in my truck, and I will probably fly with the III+ (street maps beyond a decent basemap are pretty useless in a glider)