What will geocaching be like in 10 years

In ten years, any self respecting pair of Oakley sunglasses will have a GPSr built in. The receiver will be remote, about the size of a small pager, and connect to the shades with a small wire. Looking through them will be kinda like in The Terminator.

Geocaching as we know it will have become passe. Cyber-Punk gangs will have taken over the sport. And cars will run on compressed air.

quote:
Originally posted by t. shuffle:

And cars will run on compressed air.

Actually cars will be run on fecal material. When owners become constipated they will be following their dogs around in parks with ziploc bags.

dogrun.gif

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

quote:

In ten years, pets will be poopless.

Oh yeah! I think someone needs to come back from LA LA land.

Anyways you wont have to worry about someone siphoning anything out of your poo car.

ukliam3.gif

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Due to increased terrorist threats, placing tupperware boxes in forests and under bridges will be illegal.

The only caching that will be allowed under federal law will be virtual and locationless. And of course, you won't be able to place a virtual in government operated parks.

-----

...the majority of consumer digital cameras will finally have built-in GPSr, compasses, and gyroscopes, so that images can be stamped with position, direction, and angle information.

...five years later, 70% of the earth will be photographically documented to the point of being able to create a photorealistic virtual environment.

...the next year, geocaching has a resurgence, as caches are hidden across the virtual globe. Ironically, all physical caches are now virtual. Virtually speaking.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Geocaching will be outlawed, and only outlaws will hunt geocaches!

Cache locations will be shared on secret message boards and IRC (yes, it will still be around).

Groundspeak will sell some sort of talking shoes....

hehe, sounds like great fun...

why wimp out and go virtual?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

...the majority of consumer digital cameras will finally have built-in GPSr, compasses, and gyroscopes, so that images can be stamped with position, direction, and angle information.

...five years later, 70% of the earth will be photographically documented to the point of being able to create a photorealistic virtual environment.

...the next year, geocaching has a resurgence, as caches are hidden across the virtual globe. Ironically, all physical caches are now virtual. Virtually speaking.

Will we still be tired after a long virtual hike?

quote:
Originally posted by hammack:

What will geocaching be like in 10 years?

+ Will we log our finds wirelessly and real time from the cache location?

Kablooey already does this. I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Nobody will be geocaching anymore, but everyone will attend Geocaching conventions, (I wonder how many people would show up carrying UMC doot buckets or dressed as Mitsuko?) where we will be able to see how old and fat the former legends of geocaching have become, and where they can regale us with "blooper" tales ... and, of course, sell us memorabilia of every description.

I just saw the movie 'Agent Cody Banks'. In one scene they had a personal size helicopter with the name 'Solotrek' on the side. I did an internet search and discovered that a company is actually developing it. That is the future of geocaching. Just fly out to the coordinates, and land in any opening in the forest. No bushwacking, no mud, no snow. No fun.

I think I'll stick to the old-fashioned way. If you can apply old-fashioned to a hand-held unit that communicates with satellites, after you downloaded the information from a computer network.

Why when I was your age we had coal-fired GPSs, and our computers were hooked up to waterwheels for power.

Virtual geocaches will take on a whole new meaning with Hologram technology.

You will have to renew your geocaching hunting license and have to apply for a permit for each cache placed

anyone can do it since every Car will have a built in GPS and every hand held item cell phone PDA etc will also have GPS included

On TV there will be several shows dedicated to Geocaching and there will be Geocaching magazines

More to see, More to do

Due to terrorist threats, posting of coordinates for Geo-Events will be banned.

Posting of virtual caches will be banned in all public areas as it encourages people to visit. This is especially true in parks.

GPS Harrasment Laws will be in effect. "For a good time visit Nddd mm.mmm Wddd mm.mmm" will be grounds for prosecution.

GPS Stalking will be in full swing.

Peeping toms will trade coordinates in cyberspace.

GPS's integrated into the stalks of assault rifles will be banned.

We will all virtualy hunt virtual traditional caches in virtual parks that are NOT manned by any kind of park rangers, in the comfort of our easy chairs.

Right to privacy freaks will claim that coordinates that can be used to describe their property, their whereabouts and anything else will be suing in court to protect these rights.

Real Geocaching will be driven underground in cyber speak easy's.

Geocaches placed without permission will be impounded at the owners expense. Laws enacting fines for placing geocaches without legal permission will be in place.

The first geocacher will have been prosecuted for "Littering"

Geodashing will now include dash points for across the border runs. This will be especially pupular for Mexicans trying to get to The USA and American's trying to get to Canada.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by ron50eli:

everyone will have a cell phone that does everything & caching will be a thing of the past.

Some clever person will rename this multi-purpose device the "tri-corder".

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I somehow get the feeling that with how fast this sport is growing and the mix of different people getting involved, physical cache placing will eventually be banned and the sport will be left to virtuals or locationless caches.

Considering how the sport started out, should cache placing ever be banned and the demand is high for the real deal, I think it will revert back to newsgroups.

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

Ten years from now, the landscape will look like a "Mad Max" movie....cities will have been laid level, and the new Rulers of this world will be the ones who hold the GPSr, still able to receive signals from the satellites above. These past Geocachers will be the leaders, being the only ones able to pinpoint exactly where they are. Many will come to ask directions and receive guidance. Many will wish they had the foresight to buy a handheld and learn the basics of operating them, but alas, it is too late for the commoner now. They must seek the wisdom of the Longitude/Latitude gods and bring fresh AA batteries for their questions...

10 years from now, we'll have GPSr's imbedded in pens and high school kids will use the infrared spectrum to transmit coordinates of liquor stores that sell beer to them. We'll have back-talking cars telling us NOT take the highway because of traffic and the Oakleys with the HUD will only work half the time due to radio frequency saturation.

Geocaching, I'm affraid, will go the way of hula hoops and cars with fins.

But, not long after that we'll have chips installed in gov't issued ID cards or our brains and they'll always work for Big Brother.

"Now, where did I park my car...?"

there will be a cache every 3.2 feet.

GPSr' will be so small they will fit in your belly button (even if you're an outy) not gonna say where the antenna will go. icon_redface.gif

Lincoln Logs wil be made of unique Space age polymer.

Greenpeace members will only buy "Tuna Safe" dolphin meat.

It will be considered "cheating" if you wear your "hover shoes" to Geocache.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

quote:
+ Will we log our finds wirelessly and real time from the cache location?

For me, this isn't the future, this is now. I use my hiptop to sometimes log my find right from the cache location. geocaching.com is a bit clunky on the device though... sometimes I just use it to take notes of what I've taken and left and input it when I get home.

If there was a hide and seek and log page optimized for handheld devices, I'd probably use it a lot more.

I have used the option of finding caches by coordinates, when I end up somewhere and have a spare few hours... very handy to have access to the web anywhere you have mobile phone service.

-Aaron

Geocaching is already banned in national parks. The park service treats it like littering. It's not like there are caches every couple of feet and caches are hidden for the most part anyway.

Some states have banned it in their parks.

Just like the government to ban something that is safe and fun.

What does 'Public' in Public Lands mean? It means it is for public use. But I see a trend in 'Public' land and soon only the rich will be able to afford the entrance fees to the parks.

quote:
Originally posted by Jacksons:

Geocaching will not exist because its just tooo dangerous and politically incorrect

Actually, I disagree. I believe Geocaching will simply get to the point where you must list a cache in this manner:

Cache is available to be found on Saturday and Sunday, between the hours of 0800 and 2000 on Saturday, and 0800 and 1800 on Sunday. It will be located at the following coordinates xx xx.xxx & xxx xx.xxx. The cache container is clear with a clear top and will be sitting in my lap. No early finds will be allowed, and the cache will be promptly removed at 1800 on Sunday, because I have to get to bed early so I can go to work on Monday. If you arrive at the coordinates during the times and days posted, wait a moment, I may just be taking a break, I'll be right back, honest. You will be expected to sign the log, which will be in my shirt pocket, with your name, address, phone number, social security number, and your political affiliation for the authorities if they stop by to check my records for the cache. You know how they are if they can't confirm my log entries, Saddam was a piker compared to these guys.... Please look through the side of the container with out opening it to enjoy the sight of the items I've placed inside. I hope you enjoy the cache. Happy Hunting!!

But then again, I could be wrong....LOL.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

We will find the caches with our thoughts

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

radmanmadewith3dprogram.gif

Faster than a dial-up Internet connection, stronger than any band geek, look up at the sky! ....is it a bat..... no .....is it my grandma's mustache..... NO! IT'S RADMAN Version 2.0! See I even have my own neon sign!

I think that ammo cans will become less common (since the military is switching to plastic boxes), and all our GPSr will be mixed with other tools (PDA/cellphone etc...) and that we will be able to download more accurate data on the go (plus I think the accuracy of the map data will be much approved, even with the low cost tiger maps). I also believe that Geocaches will have to get smaller, or harder to get to, to continue to remain fun because of the increase accuracy of our GPSr (due to the launch of the new GPS sats with the extra code that civilians can use, and receivers that will have 40 channels so it can use data form both Galileo and GPS satellites). Or I think that people will try to make less accurate readings so its not a simple get to the location and have to look in a 2 meter circle.

I also think that there will be more geocaching websites devoted to certain points of the world. I also don't think that it will be outlawed all together, but I think that their will be more places that put limits on to where they can be placed. Or more places will open up to the fact that this is a legitimate sport that families participate in, so hopefully national parks will not see caches as abandoned property and allow us to place them there if we follow certain rules. (but this will take work on our part)

Wyatt W.

I hope this makes sence, I wrote it when I was tired.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

And Mr Snizz will still be a jerkweed, just 10 years older.

WoW, now that was an intelligent and productive addition to this discussion.

Now I don't care what your history is with Mr. Snazz. There is no intelligent reason to jump in with an off topic remark.

Your opinion of Mr. Snazz is off topic.

39197_2100.gif

Mokita!

Not to start a p***ing contest but it wasn't off topic at all. Rather it be true or not, he was making a prediction just as the others are. Why is everyone in here so dam touchy. Cabin fever? I have never seen so many defensive people in a forum. I do visit many forums. Tracker boats, hunting info, atv nation, atv times, atv connections, fuji cameras and many more, all regarding the outdoors. Just relax, enjoy the group and live and let live!!

Rino 110

MeriGreen 128

What about an all-in-one device that performs the following:

Accesses the geocaching.com web page to get the cache description (wirelessly)

Includes a super-precise GPSr to guide you to the coordinates

Includes a digital camera and video capture to include in your log

Allows for remote and real-time logging of your find

Machines will have taken over the earth. Unable to understand 'human' obsessions with seeking seemingly meaningless objects out in the woods, etc. Geocaching goes generally unchecked by the machines.

Man uprises against machines and the vast network of Geocaches becomes a critical mechanism for delivering ammunition and medical supplies to rebel groups.

Rebels suffer casualties as their talking shoes give away their positions.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

And here I thought that this question was looking for serious answers...

- Multi-purpose PDA type devices with many(!!!) times more horsepower and storage capacity than any current desktop PC, capable of integrating GPS data and high-res 'live' full-color satellite imagery in real time.

- Self-orientating topo maps made out of flexible holographic film (similar to those seen in the Val Kilmer movie 'Red Planet').

- More government intervention/regulation and the likelihood of some form of 'pay to play' to support it (either that, or the government will shut down GeoCaching altogether for various security, environmental[real or political] and legal liability reasons).

- A standardized (government approved) cache container that is logged 'on-site' using the GeoCacher's biometric signature.

- There will be no 'items' left in caches ...at least not in the form that they are now. Rather, each standardized (government approved) cache container will serve as a type of mini-video kiosk where GeoCachers can leave a short video message to accompany their biometric log entry. Messages left by previous GeoCachers will be viewable to subsequent visitors and will also be accessible remotely by whatever form the internet may have at that time.

- As GPS technology will have become far more common in everyone's lives, GeoCaching will lose much of its 'Oooo Ahhh' gadget-freak appeal and become the purview of those who simply enjoy being outdoors (as opposed to those who currently hit the trail only because it's an excuse to use their GPS).

- There will either be far more 'cache hunting' websites, or just one ...one run by the government.

quote:

In ten years, any self respecting pair of Oakley sunglasses will have a GPSr built in. The receiver will be remote, about the size of a small pager, and connect to the shades with a small wire. Looking through them will be kinda like in The Terminator.

Geocaching as we know it will have become passe. Cyber-Punk gangs will have taken over the sport. And cars will run on compressed air.

The receiver won't be connect. They already have GPSr's in watches that use a small receiver, the size of a pager, that sends an FM signal to the wrist band.