Why should I have to go somewhere else to talk with other geocachers?

RomadPilot

I might be the only one, but when I log into the general forums it says this on the top of my page:

If you have a topic that doesn't quite fit anywhere else, post it here.

I agree that a preponderance of the subjects discussed on gc.com are geocaching related, but is not this also a place for geocachers to congregate and discuss things they find interesting?

just my 2 cents

ps, I'm not baiting TPTB, I'm just curious why the question is circumvented and not answered?

quote:
Originally posted by Romad_Pilot:

I might be the only one, but when I log into the general forums it says this on the top of my page:

<<SNIP>>

What you might have missed at the top of the Forums main page is

Welcome to the Groundspeak forums, the location to discuss topics on Geocaching and GPS usage.

You don't talk GeoCaching in a food forum.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

quote:

I agree that a preponderance of the subjects discussed on gc.com are geocaching related, but is not this also a place for geocachers to congregate and discuss things they find interesting?

just my 2 cents

ps, I'm not baiting TPTB, I'm just curious why the question is circumvented and not answered?

The quandry of the entire Internet Community !

I don't think I have ever been on a BBS where this topic has NOT been brought up.

I agree with you, btw, with some exceptions.

On some BBS's separate topic forums are unavailable, not enough traffic. THERE I can understand perfectly sticking to the main topic.

Here there are a gazillion....just ONE, to suit YOU, would not interfere with anyone here.

Or would it?

Ahhhh, good question, because when things get political, or religious, or any number of other topics I have seen forums collapse under the weight.

Soooo, I have no answers, except that I agree that you should be able to post what you like.....and if you get deleted, I won't contact the Supreme Court...and if you don't, I won't mind. I'll answer you, if that helps. icon_smile.gif - JamesJM

quote:

Let me put it another way:

If we met in a physical place, say "Geocaching Hall" If someone started talking about MP3s or food or anything, would they be told to get out and take thier conversation elsewhere if they were being civil and respectful to each other?

I believe that I once posted, "How much fun would an event cache be if we were only allowed to discuss geocaching."

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

<<SNIP>> Lighten up and just enjoy, keep on caching.

Lighten up????

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

Romad Pilot, thanks for your question. I believe it is answered in the Forum Guidelines, which state:

quote:
The goal of the Groundspeak Forum is to promote the activity of Geocaching and GPS Usage. It is an open forum sponsored by Groundspeak Inc. for discussing all aspects of Geocaching, Benchmark hunting, GPS Usage and Groundspeak related GPS Gaming.
That being said, you will see a limited number of threads which are either clearly off-topic ("Abject Silliness", or "Continue Story by Five Words") or which bear a very remote relationship to Geocaching (I thought that "Talk Like a Pirate Day" helps to balance out the frustration that some members feel about the various cache pirates out there). The idea is to keep these at a limited number, and balanced within reason against the stated purpose of these forums. If someone feels that a thread is off-topic to the point where it ought to be closed, there's an easy mechanism to report that by pressing the yellow triangle symbol at the bottom right corner of any post. If you would like to join other geocachers in off-topic conversation, because it's human nature to want to do so, then feel free to post in the Abject Silliness thread, start a private topic, use e-mail, or visit a chat room.

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

Danny, those same forum guidelines also talk about respect for people's opinions, regardless of whether they are newbies or veterans.

Remember that time when someone tried to undermine the validity of one of YOUR opinions because you had a low find count? You shot back with a lovely explanation of how you were just a *bit* busy from 9/11/01 until mid-2002. Anybody messes with you again on that basis, I'll open the second can of... oops, I can't say that.

--------------------

quote:
Welcome to the Groundspeak forums, the location to discuss topics on Geocaching and GPS usage.

...and ham radio. I never figured out that connection icon_confused.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm_

Ham comes from pigs. Pigs wallow in mud. Mud is dirt + water, a mixture. A mixture is any combination of components. A component is a big word. A word is in the dictionary. Geocaching is NOT in the dictionary, (as yet). A dictionary is a book. A book must be read. Reading involves language. Language is a code.

Both geocaching and ham radio have codes. Sheesh, can't believe you didn't figure that out for yourself. - JamesJM

quote:

quote:

APRS -

APRS™ is a multifacited system for use with packet radio by Hams, it allows the monitoring of real time geographical information such as the position of vehicles, the status of weather, radio direction finding and much much more. It envolves mapping, GPS tracking, packet radio, etc.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Danny, those same forum guidelines also talk about respect for people's opinions, regardless of whether they are newbies or veterans.

Respect is earned. The forum guidelines talk about treating others' opinions with respect; that is a very different thing from respecting the opinions themselves.

I think the forum guidelines mean that civility is required, not some mindless acceptance of dumb ideas. I think that moderators should try to be aware of the (sometimes subtle) difference.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

quote:

quote:

http://aprs.rutgers.edu/ -

APRS™ is a multifacited system for use with packet radio by Hams, it allows the monitoring of real time geographical information such as the position of vehicles, the status of weather, radio direction finding and much much more. It envolves mapping, GPS tracking, packet radio, etc.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Not sure what you said but I'm VERY impressed with the trademark thingie. I could do that, really, I could. Character map...and - £ - WHA-LAW. I don't know how to spell whalaw.

still, your dedication won me over. - JamesJM

Fizzymagic, you are right, I meant to say to respect each person's right to HAVE an opinion... you do not need to agree with the opinion itself. Instead of typing quickly, I should have quoted the guidelines, which state:

quote:
Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.
I hope you would agree that I am trying to ensure that the guidelines, as correctly stated just now, are being followed.

--------------------

quote:

quote:

I've eaten a Ham sandwich while caching, but after reading Jeremy's post I don't think that's what he means! tongue.gif

[This message was edited by Romad_Pilot on September 19, 2003 at 09:00 PM.]

/QUOTE]

I think you will find, keystone approver, that i have shown everyone the same respect, whether or not they have 5 or 5000 posts; 5 or 5000 finds, etc.

/QUOTE]

Oh so that was respect you showed me when you posted "Another newb heard from". I must be too mush of a newb cause I missed that.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:

Respect is earned. The forum guidelines talk about treating others' opinions with respect; that is a very different thing from respecting the opinions themselves.

I think the forum guidelines mean that civility is required, not some mindless acceptance of dumb ideas. I think that moderators should try to be aware of the (sometimes subtle) difference.

smile.gifCivility is wayyyy cool. smile.gif I totally agree with the rest too.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

If I had posted this thread, it would be already locked and/or deleted with some snide remark. icon_confused.gif

That said.....weeeelll, everyone knows what I have to say on this matter. http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&s=5726007311&a=tpc&m=72160567&f=4016058331

I tried to vote in that thread and I got an error message that read as follows:

You only get one vote per poll. According to our records, you've already voted on this poll. Go back and click the results link if you want to see what everyone else is voting for.

Funny thing is I hadn't voted yet in there. icon_mad.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

And...just cause some of us are noobs here, don't always assume that we are noobs wrt all bbs or forums. I know there are some here, with not many posts, finds, caches that have some serious history on the net, way before these newfangled forums with gui's, or even browsers.

These same subjects come up over and over and over again, in just about every discussion group I've been in. From my experience, the moderators here are doing a pretty good job, way less draconian than quite a few places I've hung out at.

Perspective taking is good, my communication professor wife always tells me.

Another "noob" heard from.

I agree with 100% Romad Pilot. I've never seen anywhere else that will not allow you talk about other things.

How many different things can you talk about caching that already hasn't been discussed? Not much.

As far as the title of this topic goes, the answer would be, because there are plenty of other places that will allow you to talk to other cachers about things not dealing with caching as well. icon_wink.gif

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:

you will see a limited number of threads which are either clearly off-topic ("Abject Silliness", or "Continue Story by Five Words") or which bear a very remote relationship to Geocaching (I thought that "Talk Like a Pirate Day" helps to balance out the frustration that some members feel about the various cache pirates out there). The idea is to keep these at a limited number,

So then it becomes a matter of opinion on what should be locked or deleted? It's one thing to say that the forum is for geocaching only and allow only those threads. But now you are saying we are gonna pick and choose which threads we want to allow that don't have anything to do with geocaching. And in that choosing, the moderator is using their opinion of which should go. It was stated, by you on the talk like a Pirate one, "Your moderator, Iron Morty Flint, is inclined to let this off-topic thread ride the high seas for the day. And only for the day"....that tells me you are gonna lock it down tomorrow which I guess is today. Why that one? Why not some of the others that don't deal with caching? This is more closely related to caching that 5 words or abject silliness and many others.

Brian

Fine, Brian.... I will lock every off-topic thread with the note "Closed at the request of Woodsters Outdoors."

Or, you could place some trust in the moderators' ability to maintain a reasonable balance, and, if you disagree with us in a particular case, use the "report this post" button to express your views privately with respect to a particular thread.

124791_700.jpg Don't make me stop this car!

quote:

Fine, Brian.... I will lock every off-topic thread with the note "Closed at the request of Woodsters Outdoors."

Would be typical...seen something like that before...Might as well put "Forward your complaints", while your at it...

quote:

Or, you could place some trust in the moderators' ability to maintain a reasonable balance, and, if you disagree with us in a particular case, use the "report this post" button to express your views privately with respect to a particular thread.

I don't see the need to lock any thread because it's "off topic". There's nothing wrong with off topic threads, unless they are demeaning, degrading, offensive and you get the idea. Because the fact it doesn't have the word geocache in it or it something someone (moderator) may not like, does not mean that it should be ended. My statements are based on the fact of what moderator A is feeling at the moment. While as moderator B may not feel the smae way or react the same way.

Brian

I can understand the Admins view on allowing a few off topic threads to keep a balance.

I also believe there should be a life cycle on those threads. If your only going to allow a few. Or is :Continue the story by 5 words" and "Abject to silliness" going to be here forever and be the only off topic thread allowed?

The Admin and Moderaters are doing a great job overall, but I can see the concern of others. I don't believe I have ever posted an off topic thread, but I do see the need to allow fellow Geocachers to communicate with each other whether on topic or not.

I would love to see a chat room added to this site. I think it would solve a lot of problems. If it cost more to add...I would be happy to up my membership dues.

You guys are new at this and trying to sort it out...and my hat is off to you. In the long run I'm quite confident that you will fair and just.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I can understand the Admins view on allowing a few off topic threads to keep a balance.

I also believe there should be a life cycle on those threads. If your only going to allow a few. Or is :Continue the story by 5 words" and "Abject to silliness" going to be here forever and be the only off topic thread allowed?

The Admin and Moderaters are doing a great job overall, but I can see the concern of others. I don't believe I have ever posted an off topic thread, but I do see the need to allow fellow Geocachers to communicate with each other whether on topic or not.

I would love to see a chat room added to this site. I think it would solve a lot of problems. If it cost more to add...I would be happy to up my membership dues.

You guys are new at this and trying to sort it out...and my hat is off to you. In the long run I'm quite confident that you will fair and just.

El Diablo

[url=http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Diablo you posted in this thread so I know that you are aware that there is already an official chat room for Geocaching.com

you can reach the official Geocaching chat channel in two ways. For Java chat which is from your browser go to this link If you have an IRC program then go to Server IRC.SLASHNET.ORG and /join #geocache

There are always cachers there to chat with. Both on and off topic. Official Chat is every monday at 9:30 EDT.

Co Admin

I work for the Hottie that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

As mentioned in the other thread I referenced, this chat is open 24/7 you can go there any time and talk caching. Official Chat is just a time set aside for talk of caching only. All other times its a nice place to talk caching or several other non caching topics. It is recognised by Geocaching.com as the official chat site. It really doesnt matter where it is hosted.

Co Admin

I work for the Hottie that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

If you click the link that CO Admin posted to my response it will take you to a thread in the Getting Started Fourms about online chat.

I posted a reply in that thread that was not in good taste, due to a one time experince that I had. I aplogized for that comment and would like to make it perfectly clear that I was in the wrong for posting it.

CO Admin has posted a link to Clayjars Official Geocaching Chat room and I urge all to try it out.

El Diablo

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
Originally posted by Harrald:

You don't talk GeoCaching in a food forum.

You do if you enjoy sharing things with other people, talking and learning about them, even finding broader areas of appreciation for who they are.

The neat part about being stifled is that it creates a nice grey, colorless, homogenized patina that no one can rise above or sink below. One-dimensionality RULES!

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

We are a community of people who share at least one common interest which has brought us together- hopefully as friends.

To limit us to talking only about the single interest that brought us together is to do a disservice to our community.

I agree that non-geocaching subjects may be out of place here. The problem is that our community does not have any other place to meet.

We are together HERE as a community of geocachers. If we go to another forum or a private thread, many of our community members are going to be left behind.

As long as the title of a thread is accurate, should a topic be banned for no other reason than that it is not geocaching related? I skip many threads because the title doesn’t interest me. I’m sure we all know how to do that.

It is understandable that “adults only” topics would be inappropriate without adequate controls to insure reading by “adults only”. But discussions of politics, religion, sports, etc should be allowed as long as civility and respect are maintained.

Our “community” only exists here, nowhere else in cyberspace.

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by CO Admin:

you can reach the official Geocaching chat channel in two ways. For Java chat which is from your browser go to http://gcchat.clayjar.com/?channel=Geocache If you have an IRC program then go to Server IRC.SLASHNET.ORG and /join #geocache

I clicked the link and it wants to install some unknown software on my computer.

Can you explain what the unknown software is and what it does? I'm knda paranoid about unknown websites putting unknown software on my computer.

"Freedom is a two-way street."

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by ChurchCampDave:

We are a community of people who share at least one common interest which has brought us together- hopefully as friends.

CORRECT! To put that into perspective, we are a community that equals the size of a very large township, or a small city.

quote:

To limit us to talking only about the single interest that brought us together is to do a disservice to our community.

I agree that non-geocaching subjects may be out of place here. The problem is that our community does not have any other place to meet.

Doood! Did you vote in my poll??

quote:

We are together HERE as a community of geocachers. If we go to another forum or a private thread, many of our community members are going to be left behind.

As long as the title of a thread is accurate, should a topic be banned for no other reason than that it is not geocaching related? I skip many threads because the title doesn’t interest me. I’m sure we all know how to do that.

It is understandable that “adults only” topics would be inappropriate without adequate controls to insure reading by “adults only”. But discussions of politics, religion, sports, etc should be allowed as long as civility and respect are maintained.

We are on the same wavelength. I know at least 100 more.

quote:

Our “community” only exists here, nowhere else in cyberspace.

THAT SIR, was profound. I'm posting it to the quotes thread. icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

I disagree that our community *only* exists in cyberspace here. The Austin TX group meets on yahoo. It's a subset of the whole geocaching community, but meet elsewhere in cyberspace we do. Likewise for the Texas Geocaching Association, which meets elsewhere in cyberspace, and so also for the other regional geocaching groups, not to mention some other sites that have their own communities, which when mentioned get this post deleted... icon_confused.gif