Burning Question!

I agree with the "r" being added to it. When you have the device in your hand, you aren't holding a Global Positioning System. You are holding a PART of the system.

If you look at each individual satellite in the network, you wouldn't call them each a GPS. You'd call them a GPS satellite. It makes just as much sense that you'd call your unit a GPSr, or GPS receiver.

*shrug* Nothing to do with PC... it's all about accuracy. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

While I know it's been discussed to death in a previous thread, however I challenge anyone to show me where Garmin, Magellan, or even Trimble use the acronym GPSr. On the other hand I can show you where at least Garmin and Magellan have used the term GPS--sans "unit" or "reciever"--to refer to the hand held unit we all use.

Thereby, I submit that if the manufactures of these receivers can refer to them as simply GPS, then so can we.

Not saying GPSr is wrong, just that "GPS" isn't either.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I agree with the "r" being added to it. When you have the device in your hand, you aren't holding a Global Positioning System. You are holding a PART of the system.

I disagree with the 'r' but use it here to fit in. Yes it is part of the system. The unit is a system in itself.

The 'r' is gay and should be omitted

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

While I know it's been discussed to death in a previous thread, however I challenge anyone to show me where Garmin, Magellan, or even Trimble use the acronym GPSr. On the other hand I _can_ show you where at least Garmin and Magellan have used the term GPS--sans "unit" or "reciever"--to refer to the hand held unit we all use.

Well, no... GPSr is something that "we" just starting using to save the hassle of typing "receiver" or "unit" after GPS. And on the page http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/ you will see that nearly every reference to the "unit" is written as "GPS receiver" and not just "GPS" alone.

But like you said... I don't think either one of the ways is wrong. I just think "GPSr" is just a little more right. icon_smile.gif

But in most respects can't you just assume you're talking about your receiver without having to add the "r"? I think most don't assume you're are talking about the satallites or some other part of the system. When you talk about your Television set you don't refer to it as yout TVr even though that is what it is. Or your car radio as your radior. I just think it's kind silly.

Just my opinion icon_biggrin.gif.

Jim