Buried cash at the big "W"...

TEAM 360

Reading another reply in the forums here got me thinking:

Remember the movie "It's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world"? It was like a crazed cross-country Magellan Treasure Hunt without any GPS units. Anyone know where the big "W" is from the movie? You know, where the palm trees formed a "W" over the buried cash? If I remember, it was in a California park somewhere. Is it even still there? Was it a studio back lot? It would make a great road trip to go see it, if it is even still there today...

The Whereabouts of the Big W

In the movie it's at a fictional place called "Santa Rosita" but based on the above link, it says "...is revealed to have been filmed at Portuguese Point, a private park on the Rancho Palos Verdes coastline, southwest of Los Angeles"

And also "Of the four palm trees that were planted to form the 'W' only one remained when the laserdisc documentary was edited." whenever that was.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Sand Dollar:

You have one in the Phoenix area on Arizona Ave just north of Chandler. I was used in the "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World cache by srdrake" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11333

I also beleiver there is at least one other one in the area bu I don't remember where.

Team Sand Dollar

Is that on Arizona Ave, just north of Chandler Road, or the city of Chandler? That could be a lot of road? I live about 2 minutes away from there, I am gonna have to take a drive now....

Y'know, it's no surprise that taekwondoman hasn't logged on since the beginning of June. After reading through some of the logs and his reponses, it's more than apparent that he doesn't care for rules/laws/sovereignty of others.

Placing a cache on the reservation opens a HUGE can of worms. Reservations are sovereign nations, and some of the indians would just as soon shoot you for being on their land. Indian police aren't always the most friendly, and some reservations in this state can be pretty nasty with things like gun laws (ex., you can drive on the main roadway with a firearm, but pull off to relieve yourself and you are fair game).

Then of course there is the 'graffiti', by using a Sharpie to write coordinates on government property (park equipment) or anything else that YOU don't personally own. I visited a cache just a few days ago in which the cache hider used a permanent marker to write the second stage coordinates on a steel beam of the bridge above. I noted the problem with that, and offered a suggestion in the find log, but don't know for sure if the situation will be addressed or not. Hrmph.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Then of course there is the 'graffiti', by using a Sharpie to write coordinates on government property (park equipment) or anything else that YOU don't personally own. I visited a http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=62134 just a few days ago in which the cache hider used a permanent marker to write the second stage coordinates on a steel beam of the bridge above. I noted the problem with that, and offered a suggestion in the find log, but don't know for sure if the situation will be addressed or not. Hrmph.

Brian

Team A.I.

I see it all the time, people writing coords on the back of STOP signs or National Forest signs with permanent marker, but if any cache was actually ON a Reservation, forget it, I'm not going after that one.

That's one thing they made VERY clear during my CCW class. Reservations are not to be screwed with when it comes to THEIR land under any circumstances. Granted, the primary scope was firearms, but they applied it globally. Also, the various reservations have said in no uncertain terms that they would not allow geocaching at all on their lands.

At least nothing happened to any of the cachers who found this cache. It could have been ugly, to say the least.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Is that on Arizona Ave, just north of Chandler Road, or the city of Chandler? That could be a lot of road? I live about 2 minutes away from there, I am gonna have to take a drive now....

North of Warner and south of Baseline. Its on the east west side at a nursery. The original name of the nursery started with a W and there was more than one.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:

It was like a crazed cross-country Magellan Treasure Hunt without any GPS units.

There is some crazy stuff going on with that Magellan Treasure Hunt, eh? Even with a GPS, you won't find the cache since the coords put you on private property. Just ask those people who were cited for trespassing.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:

I see it all the time, people writing coords on the back of STOP signs or National Forest signs with permanent marker...

This is NOT intended to be a flame, but I've geocached in/around Phoenix several times (it's my hometown). And I've noticed that it seems like there are a minority of cachers there that, shall we say, play a little fast and loose with the line between geocaching and vandalism in their hides.

Looking through my logs, I could easily name 6 or 7 multicaches in AZ that involve graffiti clues - and I've only looked for about 20 or so total. On the other hand (and again, this is not intended as a flame) I can't think of another multi I've found anywhere else that used the same technique.

I know you guys have kind of gotten a black eye in the media there in the past - this certainly can't be helping any.

The *W* is in my neck of the desert. It's on Arizona Avenue between Elliot and Guadalupe. You can't miss it.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

That link to the "bib W" seems to be outdated.

According to the documentary on the restored MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD DVD the 'W" was recently replaced because so many vistors came to the park to see it and were dissapointed.

Even though it's a private park it is open to the public according to the doucmentary.

You might want to rent the DVD and watch it to be sure. They give quite a bit of information on locations shots in the movie.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

sort of on topic...

re, burried cash... I am in the financial service biz. Long story short:

Wife of client died. She was an avid reader and a hater of all government regulated things ( ie. banks). Kids and dad had a garage sale to sell all her books and stuff. After a few hours, someone brought a book back, and they thought, they would of course refund this lady's money. The lady was returning the book because there was $17,000 CASH hidden in it. They went through the rest of the books,, and yep...moeny all in them. So who knows how many .25 books were sold and had thousands in them! Only one person returned!

Burried cash is everywhere...now if I could only find it.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kaz:

sort of on topic...

re, burried cash... I am in the financial service biz. Long story short:

Wife of client died. She was an avid reader and a hater of all government regulated things ( ie. banks). Kids and dad had a garage sale to sell all her books and stuff. After a few hours, someone brought a book back, and they thought, they would of course refund this lady's money. The lady was returning the book because there was $17,000 CASH hidden in it. They went through the rest of the books,, and yep...moeny all in them. So who knows how many .25 books were sold and had thousands in them! Only one person returned!

Burried cash is everywhere...now if I could only find it.

My stepdads mother did that, too...seems to be a common occurrence with the elderly...but I don't think it was THAT much money...wow, only one person came back...

As far as the "W" spots, now I will have to go see BOTH of them...ROAD TRIP!