$16,000 cache!

geospotter

I know there has been a great deal of interest in the valuable caches recently placed in Canada. I thought I would mention one that we have right here in the Northeast.

Several years ago the Greene County Tourism Board created a treasure hunt based on the Captain Kidd legend to lure tourists to the Catskill, NY area (it worked; I've been there 5 times looking for this one).

I never really thought of it as a geocache until recently I remembered that it mentions Longitude, Latitude, Minutes, and Seconds. It also describes making a compass.

The finder of the hidden golden doubloon wins a crown with jewels recently valued at $16,000.

If you're interested just call the Greene County Tourism office at (518) 943-3223 and ask for a copy of the "Captain Kidd and the Missing Crown" treasure hunt (it's free). It is a story containing the clues and an old map. I am not associated in any way with the hunt. I'm just one of the many frustrated hunters.

I will gladly share all of my ideas and information, but new ideas are needed. I know that this group of geocachers can crack this one (and then I'll be able to sleep at night).

Interested? This could be the ultimate cache (thus far).

geospotter

Huh?

I called the number just minutes before I posted it and they said they had plenty of copies and would send them to anyone who requested one.

It is an older hunt, but the person assured me that it was still going on and that the coin has yet to be found.

I'd try calling again. You might get a different person.

geospotter

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mparry/treasure/Solutions/treasure.htm

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are talking about now, but maybe.

Found it after using (Captain Kidd and the Missing Crown) as a keyword search on Yahoo.

If not let me know I would love to get in on this. I am in WV but if I can lend a brain cell or thought I would love to help

The Important Things Are Always Simple and The Simple Things Are Always Hard.

WVAK47,

That particular hunt is not this one. It looks like there should be a link to the hunt on your link's main page, but it doesn't work. So Mark Parry is at least aware of the hunt.

Here's a better link.

Also, on that same site you will see a link for the Rip Van Winkle hunt. It was written by the same author. It was successful enough that, when solved, a new hunt was written -- "Captain Kidd and the Missing Crown".

As far as the phone number. I called again and got "weekend help". Call during the week and they'll know what you are talking about.

geospotter

[This message was edited by geospotter on January 11, 2003 at 09:17 AM.]

[This message was edited by geospotter on January 11, 2003 at 09:25 AM.]