PICTURES - Geocaching Vehicle's Stuck

AmishHacker

Ok so I never thought I would post to my own topic but I did get "Stuck" on the way back from a cache. A Greet and Meet!! On the Highway!! 2hrs....there was a big accident and we were parked

689cfded-f299-473a-a9da-c93dc68ad1c3.jpg

hmmmm a little off topic in my own thread....HAVE I GONE MAD!

Thank you all for posting......Please keep posting...we all learn from your mistakes :unsure:

Heres my trusty subaru, it doesn't look like much but I went up the road a ways and decided to back up and almost made it, if only I had more ground clearance, but I did end up making it out without any help. My wife wasn't too happy though, she told me not to take the road.......

86656dc4-42fd-4666-8fc2-beb957d6ff25.jpg

Edited by gessner17
Hmmm! The first Jeep to get stuck!

6c60f2da-d471-4e16-81ad-6f7958a7527b.jpg

You can read the log here

Must not have been "trail rated". :o

The police informed me that they use argocats to get up the hill to get to do maintenance on the radio station at the top and that the 4x4s are not up to the job! I still maintain I managed to get up the hill easyer than the Landrover Defender that towed me out did. I just made the mistake of not walking the route first before I tried to turn round to go back down!!

This is not likely to happen again as I should be waving goodbye to my Cherokee tomorrow :huh::huh: sniff sniff I will miss it as it has been a great vehicle. The costs of running it were astronomical though and after all the big repair bills and the fact that fuel cost 85.9 pence per litre up here (about £3.90 a gallon try your exchange rate on that :D ) I am going back to a 2 wheel drive car so it wont be veturing off road!! I suppose that means my cache hunting will involve longer hikes but then again I will hopefully get fitter from the exercise B)

Edited by Naefearjustbeer
...but I did end up making it out without any help. My wife wasn't too happy though, she told me not to take the road...

Wives are like that...

Although mine (Sherkanz) is starting to get used to my antics.

It's aorta bad when a friend with a nice shiny 4x4 w/ heated

leather seats tries to follow me and the road gets more and

more narrow until the branches nearly tear the mirrors (after

they have folded back) off of the truck.

Here's a picture of our truck... the scratches probably don't

show in the picture... http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/si...d=37644&width=0

I once got stuck under my car while Geocaching.

It was really quite embarassing . . . I was getting out of the car to do a cache and I dropped my lipstick. Wouldn't you know it . . . it rolled right under the car! Silly me! ;)

StuckMechanic.jpg

hehe! B)

Happy caching and stuff!

Having been a driving instructor in the Canadian military for a good number of years teaching on a jeeps up to a 10 ton 6X6 trucks. I have noticed a thing or two about non-professional drivers (not that they’re bad or worse than professionals) Some of them think 4 wheeling or boonie bashing means how fast can I go and how high can I get and when they get stuck instead of getting help immediately they just make it worse. This ensures a long walk out of the training area! On the highway in a snowstorm they think they’re invincible in their 4X4’s. All 4 wheel drive means is when you don’t have the right mind set getting stuck in a 4X4 mean your well and truly stuck

No pictures, but quite a hilarious story...

Especially since we could have simply parked on the paved road and walked 300 feet instead. ;)

You know.. Since I've consumed quite a bit of liquid - after I already had to pee - reading this thread was probably not a good idea... This story was definately the clincher. Thank goodness the bathroom is just around the corner, cause I'm going to have to do flight of the bumble bee to get to it.

Did you ever go back and try to find the cache?

Of course, now that I've read about all you dumb men ;) All I can think to say is... hmmm... Yeah, I PARK my car for a reason. lol...

Although I am reminded of the last woods cache I did where I arrived afterwards at my grandmother's house literally with mud up to my a**. I had stepped in what looked like it used to be part of the Ashtabila River many many years ago when the river was actually more than a creek on drugs like it is now, and took a step into what looked like about two inches of mud.

Well, needless to say, it wasn't two inches of mud. I stopped just above my knee and when my leg came back out of the mud, my shoe stayed in. So then I had to dig that out. Then I had to dig my ring out of the mud cause it fell off just as I got to the top of the mud.

I had mud everywhere... Oh, to make it even funnier, I had taken the harder of the two paths... The other choice I had seemed blocked off and I didn't investigate it close.... What looked like the path ending was really a two foot drop and a three foot wide mud puddle! (As opposed, of course, to the bog I had gone through before)

Wanna guess which way I went to get *back* to my car?

My Jeep's not been stuck either, although some people will tell you that means I'm just not trying hard enough - and they're right!

So here's an obligatory pic of my baby when it's not covered with mud or dust for a change:

58960*.jpg

There's been a few times when I've been out looking for a cache in my car (which has no ground clearance and I try very hard to keep it in nice condition) and suddenly I hit a dirt road or something and think "dadgum, wish I had brought the Jeep..."

- Dave

'98 Sahara with 4.5" RE Superflex lift, etc. (offroad fun)

'97 BMW M3 (onroad fun)

Have not gotten stuck on a cache hunt, but it has found a stuck or two in it's life span. I am not stuck here. Most of the good stucks end up being well after dark. Seems like a lot more fun to tell the stories of the dark as pitch night with 3 feet of mud and no winch point in sight.

05050027.jpg

05050025.jpg

I fixed that problem a week later like this:

Uhhh...I don't get it....'splain it to me, Lucy! :lol:

New wheels and tires, and maybe a lift (can't tell for sure from the pics).

Oh....ok....now that I look a bit closer, the wheels are different....can't tell about the tires or the lift, though......I thought maybe he solved the problem by parking it on pavement....that would solve it, but sure wouldn't be any fun! :lol:

Naa. Not parkin it on pavement :( 4" lift and 33's to get some flex!

I'm going for the 3.5" RE superflex lift and 33's on my TJ. I have most of what I need for the lift - just need to get some odds and ends then install it all.

For the lift, did you drop the transfer case, install a SYE with a new driveshaft or neither? If neither, how's the vibration?

I have the 4.5" RE superflex with 33s, although when those wear out I think I'll go to 35s. The SYE, Currie cv tailshaft etc. was definitely needed. For 3-3.5" my understanding is that you're borderline and you may be able to tweak things so it works ok, but ideally you should do it right. My friend has the 3" (3.5"?) Teraflex lift without SYE and he had major driveline vibes until he adjusted everything just right and they mostly went away.

45006b.jpg

I also had mine regeared at the same time plus an LSD thrown in the rear diff, new wheels, shocks, and more. That was a big bill. :(

Here's a link to my Jeep mods page if anyone is interested: my TJ mods. I also have several pages of trip pictures and a page of Jeep Links.

- Dave

49063*.jpg

I have the 4.5" RE superflex with 33s, although when those wear out I think I'll go to 35s. The SYE, Currie cv tailshaft etc. was definitely needed. For 3-3.5" my understanding is that you're borderline and you may be able to tweak things so it works ok, but ideally you should do it right. My friend has the 3" (3.5"?) Teraflex lift without SYE and he had major driveline vibes until he adjusted everything just right and they mostly went away.

45006b.jpg

I also had mine regeared at the same time plus an LSD thrown in the rear diff, new wheels, shocks, and more. That was a big bill. :(

Here's a link to my Jeep mods page if anyone is interested: my TJ mods. I also have several pages of trip pictures and a page of Jeep Links.

- Dave

49063*.jpg

Oh, great...thanks a lot!! You know how hard it is to clean drool out of a keyboard?!?!?!? :D

Sounds like a lot more work than buying a stock FJ40.  :(

I'm going for the springover and doubler box next, along with 37 MTR's and steel rims. The modest existing lift should be enough with the springover.

That's it....I'm just gonna quit reading this thread.....too depressing.... :D

I have an idea Sparky, put 37" MTR's on the front and those low profile street racing tires on the back. Then you could pretend you were hill climbing in Kansas. :):D:D

Sounds like a lot more work than buying a stock FJ40.  :(

I'm going for the springover and doubler box next, along with 37 MTR's and steel rims. The modest existing lift should be enough with the springover.

That's it....I'm just gonna quit reading this thread.....too depressing.... :D

I have an idea Sparky, put 37" MTR's on the front and those low profile street racing tires on the back. Then you could pretend you were hill climbing in Kansas. :D:D:)

I just park it on my service ramps and do that anyway! :D

Actually, I did find a few nice trails a couple weekends ago near my farm in eastern Kansas....here's one:

172989_7300.JPG

Sounds like a lot more work than buying a stock FJ40. :(

It was, but this suited my needs and an FJ didn't. :D

You won't get me too riled up on that, I kinda like FJs not to mention Land Rovers and a lot of other offroad-capable vehicles. Now H2s on the other hand... :D

We were on our way back down the mountain to search for a new cache placement location, when we missed being part of this 4 car pileup by a couple seconds. Fortunately there were no serious injuries, since it took forever to get assitance up there.

Of the four cars involved (a Chevy, a Buick, a Jeep, a Subaru) only the upended Subaru drove away from this!

71247_4900.jpg

What is it about those Subarus?

I have only gotten mine stuck once... on the beach in some sugar sand. We dug it out with our hands in about 20 minutes.

Here is a picture of my first subaru:

dece2c5a-bc3f-465b-955c-69ddd9cdf677.jpg

Here are more pictures of it.

Here are a couple of pictures of other "not stuck" subarus:

e5bf0353-e57f-4749-a2cc-03a252bdccde.jpg

f7edd784-3688-4eb7-88d5-be2c1267566f.jpg

Hey, we found this while geocaching this weekend. They had rolled it, somehow got it back up on it's wheels then stuck it trying to get out. When we found them 2 miles from the nearest street, and about 5 from civilization they had been there 13 hours...

drunks.jpg

drunks2.jpg

drunks3.jpg

Edited by CCrew
Here are a couple of pictures of other "not stuck" subarus:

f7edd784-3688-4eb7-88d5-be2c1267566f.jpg

Yeah, maybe going geocaching with Tommi Makinen isn't the best idea. (But I'd do it :D )

"Now Tommi, remember that there's no rush in finding this cache and yyyeeeeeeaaaaiiii!!!!!!"

020712_rallyKenia_day1_MakinenTommi_LindsromKaj_SubaruImprezaWRC.jpg

"....ok, Tommy, plus 5 right, small ridge, plus 2 left, don't cut, plus 4 right...oh, wait, that's lefAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :tongue::bad::):D:rolleyes: