PICTURES - Geocaching Vehicle's Stuck

AmishHacker

Great thread...those pictures in the original entry look like two soccor moms lost in the wilderness. I have my Durango out on the beach in the Outer Banks NC. Didn't let enough air out the tires and almost got stuck. Luckily I didn't but the had total fear of ending up "another damed Yankee tourist stuck in the sand" and paying the max to get out.

My best story is in the Laural Highlands of PA. Me and another cacher had a rental car (a purple PT Cruiser) that we drove over a logging road. Road kept getting worst and worst with the buolders getting bigger in the middle of the road per 1/4 mile. We meet up with a guy driving one of those giantic dump trucks full of stone. He stops and waves us over and says "You boy s aren't going anywhere on this raod with sissy car...you better leave" he says with a gleam in his eyes.

Now I'm starting to wonder what his gleam is about and the movie Deliverance is starting to flash before my eyes.

Never again will I cache in a car like that one! :lostsignal:

Folks who cache with me are often surprised at the places I take my little Pontiac Sunbird! Basically, if I can keep the frame off the ground I can go!

Here I am crossing a ditch...look stuck, but not!

thumb_TarsCar2.jpg

Still not stuck, but man should I have looked where I was backing up!

thumb_PICT0622.JPG

OK, This one IS stuck - fortumately it's not mine, but found on a caching trip!

normal_PICT1337.JPG

Here is a cache in BC. A funny story goes with it....

Hey, thanks for posting that! I drive by the bog quite often and didn't even notice that cache. For that matter, I've walked around that area but never saw the tractor before. I'll be sure to look for it very soon.

GeoBC

Edited by geobc

OzGuff here. The original post in this thread included a picture of my car stuck. Looks like I have come full circle as yesterday I rolled it. Totaled it. And I walked away without a scratch.

Log with pictures

I am using my daughter's login to post this. The reason is that I had my wife change my GC.com password so I wouldn't know it. I have decided to give it up. Maybe permanently. Maybe temporarily.

Most of the folks who read the forums don't know me, so this won't mean that much, but I have decided to quit. You get a little perspective when hanging upside-down by your seatbelt. (Glad I was wearing it!) I may get back into caching somewhere down the road, but I am going to concentrate on my family for now.

Thanks to all here for making the last 18 months so much fun!

OzGuff here. The original post in this thread included a picture of my car stuck. Looks like I have come full circle as yesterday I rolled it. Totaled it. And I walked away without a scratch.

Log with pictures

Thank God you are OK - rest, recover and take care of that family!!! The sport can wait......

I suppose you know what is best for you, OzGuff, but, as one recovering from a car wreck that came very close to taking my life I have found that getting out and doing the things I love has helped me more than anything!

If your wreck had occured on the way home from work would you quit working? Of course not.

Realizing that we are human, can and may die at any moment, is a sobering thought and does make us re-evaluate our priorities.

Many people who survive near-death experiences come away with a whole different attitude toward priorities and behaviour...we now know that every time we walk out the door may be the last time we see our family, and learn to treat them so that if tragedy happens there will be no regrets.

Good luck, hope to see you on the trails if geocaching is something you truly love.

Ed

We went to McCall Idaho with some friends for the weekend. I of course took the GPSr and logs of some caches in the area. Our friends had never geocached so I introduced them to the game. They loved it. Well on our way out of town to visit a cache we saw a road that went down to the river. Someone back at the resort said that you can see bear and other wild animals in the area close to sunset so we headed off road. Let me say that I have a Ford Aerostar 4x4 van. Well we start going down the road and the wheel tracks are washed out bad leaving a high center track. I tried to straddle the deep ruts but at last my wheels slid off and there we were high centered. Nobody around and miles from anything. I tried to jack it up and dig out the center but the jack kept sliding off into the mud. I looked around and found an old 4"x4" road sign post. I had my friend shove it under the front end and pick up and it lifted the van high enough that I was able to finally get some traction and back out. Needless to say I was litterally burning rubber getting out of there. I was affraid of setting the high grass on either side of the van on fire. Everyone still rides me about that one. Sorry...no pics.

I'm confused, however. Why are you giving up the game?

OzGuff here again.

I suppose I am giving up in a 12-step sort of way. I am a geocaching addict, and I have done some pretty stupid things while out caching. The stupidest thing I have done -- and I have done it repeatedly -- is to go caching without telling anyone where I am going. Nobody knew where I was yesterday; if the accident had happened in a slightly different way I could still be out there trapped by my seatbelt with vultures circling above.

This may be my of atoning for my transgressions. Maybe I figure if I give it up my wife will go easier on me. (Actually, she has been great about it; I assume she is just glad that I am not in a hospital or morgue.)

I may get back into caching -- and I sort of tear up just thinking about NOT caching -- but I want to take care of the family first.

I always joked about being addicted to geocaching. I was addicted. I am addicted. I now that I could just as easily have had this accident while driving home from work. (But my car/body would have been found fairly quickly.) But I wasn't driving home from work; I was out caching. With nobody the wiser.

Sorry about the non-fluidity of the above. 24 hours ago I was staring at my recently-rolled car.

Thanks to all for their thoughts! Caching rocks!!

Good luck to you. I'm sure that you know what is best for you and your family.

I also am addicted to the hobby. Some time ago, my wife and I had to come to terms on how often I would take all day to play. We had a nice negotiation and I still get to go off and play all day from time to time.

You bring up a good point about being away from 'civilization' alone. We should all either cache with buddies or leave some record of which ones we are going after. This is advice that I don't follow, sadly.

The problem I have is that most of the time I am a closet cacher. My wife doesn't know about me going off after work or on the way to appointments to find one more. She might force me to start a 12 step program or worse yet take my GPSr away from me if she knew. So I continue to venture off, mostly around town, to find one more. I don't usually go off into the woods without someone with me or letting her know I am off. I will have to tell her from now on where I will be.

thanks for sharing you story with us OzMeg

I just read the OzGuff posts... holy smokes that was a wreck. I have got to write that I have been in alot of wrecks, none yet geocaching. These posts that I have been reading don't really show that geocaching is a dangerous sport, but that anything we do in life has some danger involved.

I am not so much entertained by the stuck and crashed pics of geo caching vehicles, but informed as what not to do.

As for OzGuff... I have been telling my wife for years now when and where I will be going when out in the woods (hunting, fishing, and more recently geocaching). As a kid taking a hunting safety course I was instructed to always let someone know, and again with the Marines (we never went anywhere alone).

I guess what I am writing is this: Bad things happen all the time, we just have to be informed so we can stack the deck for us.

All of you that have posted here, it has been (sometimes) entertaining, but most importantly, educational.

Thanks,

Black Burn

Log with pictures

I am using my daughter's login to post this. The reason is that I had my wife change my GC.com password so I wouldn't know it. I have decided to give it up. Maybe permanently. Maybe temporarily.

Most of the folks who read the forums don't know me, so this won't mean that much, but I have decided to quit. You get a little perspective when hanging upside-down by your seatbelt. (Glad I was wearing it!) I may get back into caching somewhere down the road, but I am going to concentrate on my family for now.

You mention using your daughter's log-in to post the message to the forums. Why not cache WITH your family.... and slow down a little in those corners, or at least get a Subaru. :(

glad you're alright!

:(

I'm confused, however.  Why are you giving up the game?

OzGuff here again.

I suppose I am giving up in a 12-step sort of way. I am a geocaching addict, and I have done some pretty stupid things while out caching. The stupidest thing I have done -- and I have done it repeatedly -- is to go caching without telling anyone where I am going. Nobody knew where I was yesterday; if the accident had happened in a slightly different way I could still be out there trapped by my seatbelt with vultures circling above.

This may be my of atoning for my transgressions. Maybe I figure if I give it up my wife will go easier on me. (Actually, she has been great about it; I assume she is just glad that I am not in a hospital or morgue.)

I may get back into caching -- and I sort of tear up just thinking about NOT caching -- but I want to take care of the family first.

I always joked about being addicted to geocaching. I was addicted. I am addicted. I now that I could just as easily have had this accident while driving home from work. (But my car/body would have been found fairly quickly.) But I wasn't driving home from work; I was out caching. With nobody the wiser.

Sorry about the non-fluidity of the above. 24 hours ago I was staring at my recently-rolled car.

Thanks to all for their thoughts! Caching rocks!!

You could be like one of those smokers that only smokes once a week, and only go caching WITH your family.

Honestly, were all glad you came out of the wreck OK, the caches will be here if you decide to take it up again, Rest Well!

I will never get stuck...I am a cycle-geocacher. In low gear, my Cannondale Scapel will climb 45 degree inclines if the surface is hardpack. Of course I cannot ford deep streams but I have had it up to the headset.

On level ground, the speeds average 15 MPH and on streets, I usually get 22 MPH. Since many trails are open to bikes, I can hit caches faster than drivers.

This is stuck: a BJ42 (ie: Diesel Land Cruiser similar almost identical in appearance to your FJ40) stuck in the Granite Bowl because the rear pinion sheared off:

4day-6.jpg

About the same time, an Early Bronco's 9" rear end snapped an axle shaft. We spent a day there while some of us drove back to the nearest town for parts. You might know the place, Danny Warden's in Placerville...he has some very beautiful restored 'Cruisers there. He gave us shop space to work on the ARB third member, plus helped us out with a carb problem the Bronco was suffering. Danny was a great help.

FWIW, I've had a '78 FJ40, '84 Toy pickup, '88 XJ, and now a '91 YJ. I love Toyotas, Jeeps, Land Rovers, Suzukis, etc. There's good points and bad points in all stock vehicles. And the more you build 'em up, the more similar they become in performance. Right now, my buddy's Toyota pickup (formerly independent front suspension) is almost ready to drive. It's still got the 22R motor but it's turning an extra transfer case (Dana 300, twin-sticked) and a pair of Dana 60 axles (front is high pinion) with 35-spline shafts stuffed with Detroits. Rear box has been replaced with one we made from square tube and sheet steel. Rear springs are some super droopy, long, Chevy mix-and-match packs. It's currently sitting on 37" tires but will probably switch to 40" or 42". The low-hanging stock tank has been replaced with a nicely tucked-up and corrosion-proof one from a Jeep TJ. And we are fully planning on getting this stuck, along with my Jeep YJ (dual lockers, 35" tires (got a set of 37's in my garage waiting to go on), 4:1 tcase gears in a twin-sticked Dana 300, dual Dana 44s, yada yada).

If you've never gotten yours stuck, you haven't tried hard enough.

GeoBC

I did not take a picture. I was too anxious to get my car out! Andy Bear and I decided to do: "Rock In" Down The Highway Earthcache on Memorial Day weekend. Our first stop was Forked River Mountain. (Pronounced FORK-ed) It turns out to be six miles in on an old sand road. I drive a Toyota Corolla. About three miles in, we got stuck in soft sand. Fortunately, a four-wheel drive came by the other way, and the kind gentlemen pushed us out. We continued on to the waypoint, took our pictures, and headed back out. We made it out fine, taking a different approach to the soft sand section. We passed a similar car on the way out. Hope he didn't think that since we made it, he could as well...

A little while back, I was checking on a cache I had out in the boonies. The ground looked solid enough...

bb3ad081-f786-4f27-a917-e73100f055a9.jpg

ba751aac-ea39-482d-b39e-a7da9aeea5cb.jpg

It was raining, and I was watching the signal on my cell phone fluctuate between one bar and no service. Luckily, I was able to call out long enough to call a friend to come pull me out. He almost got stuck. Next time, I'm getting 4x4!

This is my urban cache mobile (my rural mobile is a Jeep Wrangler ;) )- and lifting it like that was how I saved it from the worst flood our area has seen in over a hundred years last September...

56d8c291-ca40-47c6-84d8-6d6a5b17a0fd.jpg

The flood waters were 6 feet higher than the 100 year flood plain, and reached about midway up the tire

93adb374-aa23-4345-b951-5240cc00a529.jpg

We never dreamed it would get that high, and when it did, the Jetta was trapped in the building, so we lifted it in the air with a forklift and propped it up as so...