PICTURES - Geocaching Vehicle's Stuck

AmishHacker

Face it, I'd say most people who drive an SUV do so because it is the "in thing" to do.

One last point, for every person who buys a larger vehicle just to feel safer, you just made the little guy less safe.

I found your statement to be very interesting. They are true for me, but not how you mean. Let me explain...

Years ago, I decided to go to graduate school to get my MBA. I didn't want to, but I had to. I found myself competing for jobs with other people who had MBAs. I had to get one because they had one. The same is true here. While its true that I enjoy all the benefits to driving our SUVs, the true reason to buy them was because a high percentage in my town drive SUVs, vans, or pick-ups. We bought ours to protect ourselves in the event of a crash with one of these other large vehicles (it was the right decision as shown in the above linked thread).

The bottom line is that I'm not in charge of how safe the 'little guy' is. I am, however, in charge of the safety (and comfort) of my family.

Edited by sbell111
snip

Face it, I'd say most people who drive an SUV do so because it is the "in thing" to do.

snip

And luckily for me, they do. It allowed me to get an excellent deal on my used Discovery. I didn't want my kids riding in my "real" Land Rover which has no top or doors most of the year, but they love off-roading and camping and I wanted something I felt safe with them riding in to do those things.

Yeah, I get lumped in with the "SUV for the image" crowd, but I've never worried too much about what others think.

I just wanted to make it clear, I'm not lumping true ORVs in with the posers.

I have a customer that drives a late model Xterra. We talked about it and she mentioned she doesn't like getting it dirty. I asked why she got it then and she flat out admitted it was for image. (She is one of these young hoity-toity types that works for a hoity-toity country club that you can't get in unless you're old money or clear well into the 6 figures a year.) Granted, an Xterra isnt' huge, but the point is folks are buying SUVs for nothing more than image.

Then, I know someone who drives a black, limo-tinted Denali with Toyos on 22" rims. Then they complain about the gas milage and the cost of the tires. You definately can't tell me that is for being a true "utility vehicle."

Then there are the soccer moms that put a half of a cart of groceries into the Excursion they can barely operate.

Can you tell I have a problem with these behemoths?

Edited by CoyoteRed

Has your Geocaching Vehicle ever gotten stuck?

I like seeing how people had expeirences like mine and worse. I enjoy reading the near miss stories.. Please keep them coming.

Lets get back on topic and stop the mines better arguments. Please. This forum is not about what to drive or what is safer.

I got stuck weekend before last while geocaching, but then, my kids say "I hope we get stuck" every time we go to some spot where it's even a remote possibility (they like operating the winch).

So, two questions:

1. Does it count if you merely hook up your winch and pull yourself out.

2. Does it count if you don't really try to avoid getting stuck.

:rolleyes:

This pic is posted in a log at the nearest cache to me. It's pretty common through the scrub to find tracks that have had access cut off by digging a ditch, mounding up the dirt next to it. Stops cars, but not 4WDs. Well, most 4WDs anyway... this one got grounded... :grin:

7744b792-b9a6-445b-b2b3-d4d8e6876148.jpg

For this cache, our Cache mobile was a 3 wheeled jogger, containing our (at the time) 4 month old... We nearly rolled it a couple o times, but didn't actually get it stuck.

Edited by ThePup

Not stuck, but this happened while hiding the Rock Garden Trail cache.

pic0014_1.jpg

These are pics taken while finding the three other caches in the Tuttle Creek ORV Park near Randolph, KS.

Not stuck ...

20040905%20010.jpg

Not stuck ...

20040905%20017.jpg

Still not stuck ...

20040905%20022.jpg

Nope, not stuck here either ...

20040905%20025.jpg

... and, yes, I did climb that hill. The cache was at the top of it!

OK, this guy got stuck ...

20041112_130017.jpg

... but he's not a Geocacher so it doesn't count.

I wonder why there are so many Jeep driving 'cachers.

Edited by Mudinyeri

OK, I don't bother to stick my Jeep anyplace, and the Jeeping Family only owns Jeeps. Of course, several people out there need to get their 4x's lifted up and made stronger. There are lots of helps and advise to be found on that at bigredheep.com, stop by and visit as we have several Cacher's on the board over there.

But, if I get my Jeep stuck I will send you a pic of it.

I have a pic of my Land rover Defender stuck just as bad and deep in the water as that Discovery two posts above.

However, this is the best one I can find from that same day that I have posted and it is not quite so deep or messy.

andrew_mobley01.jpg

And here is a yellow D-90 that I flipped back over with my winch. . .

crw20.jpg

Edited by YuccaPatrol

Nope....still haven't got the GeoJeep stuck, but here's a pic of my son and his buddy after overheating near my "Cheney Lake NE" and "Old Man River" caches. My Jeep was throwing rooster tails about 40 feet back, pretty much at windshield height, and Stephen was following too close to me...it packed his radiator with mud and he overheated.

IM000993.jpg

OMG! You folks are killing me. Between the stories, avitars and sig lines I'm dying here, stop it already stop it!

Hey guys, you might try mountain biking it, we never get stuck!  :lol:

Well... I have to say, I have never been stuck, and I've found all but 3 caches of my 23 (so far) that I've found! :D I have, however, gotten into some "fun" situations- foot of snow, foot of mud under 6 inches of water :o , foot of water, etc. Nothing that I couldn't walk out of, but riding out was a bit tough on a few of them!

Happy Caching!

Jeff

Nope....still haven't got the GeoJeep stuck, but here's a pic of my son and his buddy after overheating near my "Cheney Lake NE" and "Old Man River" caches. My Jeep was throwing rooster tails about 40 feet back, pretty much at windshield height, and Stephen was following too close to me...it packed his radiator with mud and he overheated.

<image>

Hey Sparkey! Didn't Barbie get her car back from you yet? :o:D

Good to see ya. :lol:

What I find amazing is the vegetation right next to the vehicle. I guess you can't rely on "if there's grass there, it's solid enough" rule of thumb I used as a kid. Doesn't look like swamp either with the hill right next to it. No wonder he thought he could make it through.

That was the problem. The vegetation beside the trail looked solid. The driver broke the first rule of off-roading! Always walk the route!!!! Although I suppose he could be forgiven in this instance as the grass looked firm. Turned out it was a type of bush grass that floats on the surface ..... so down he went! The amazing thing was that although the engine quit as the door seals gave way and the interior flooded - shorting out the electrics - no lasting damage was caused to the engine.

The major problem was thick muddy water in the fuel tank (the fuel filler was under water at one point).

We towed the vehicle home (tensest recovery I have EVER done!), stripped and cleaned fuel lines, removed and cleaned spark plugs, replaced all filters, drained tank, refilled, and to our immense surprise, the car started.

Biggest issue was cleansing the interior of the dreadful smell of rotting, waterlogged mud and vegetation!

A week later and the Discovery was once again negotiating off-road trails - albeit with a MUCH more catious driver!

Hey, how'd you do that!?????? :lol:

Ve haf vays ... I copied the pic and dumped it onto my own server. :ph34r:

Speaking of stuck, this is one of the guys from my off-road club ... he wasn't caching but I thought it was worth a post anyway!

104153.jpg

Really? You know this guy:

03_dec2.jpg

Just curious how you happened to be in a 4x4 club in British Columbia:

Here is the rest of the story:

Blaine Hoffman, from the Great White North of Lumby, BC, writes, "The first snowfall in the mountains near Lumby, BC, had me chomping at the bit to get into the mountains and try out my new lockers. Little did I know that in a brief moment of poor judgment my Jeep would be laying on its side at the bottom of a (thank God) shallow lake. We never did find snow deep enough to challenge the Jeep, but on the way back after driving over several small ponds which were frozen solid, and after watching a buddy crack a nut on the edge of the lake, I couldn't resist! The temptation to see how lockers would work took over ! After testing the edge where I knew it was shallow and the ice was solid, I gave it some gas in an attempt to spin the Jeep around so I was facing along the edge of the lake. Instead of spinning around, I drifted straight out thanks to the front locker. I stopped the Jeep and let my passenger out in a moment of terror as we heard the ice cracking. After my passenger was out and I tried making it back to shore - and the ice slowly broke through. I managed to climb out as my 4x4 sank only getting my feet wet! After I calmed down, we decided to leave it 'till morning and come back with reinforcements."

Blaine adds, "Then 'Part Two' in the Night From Hell was my ride home. We were going a little to fast down a steep road and we came to a sliding stop with one tire hanging over the bank. Two of us hopped out and tried in vain to hold the Jeep from going over as the driver tried to work three pedals at once. It went over for a slow roll.

The next morning we found a wrecker willing to come and rescue us. After rescuing the first Jeep, he failed to make it up the icy hill to my Jeep. Thankfully many friends came to the rescue; in particular a friend with a one-ton Ford and a 9,000 lb winch. It took a couple of snatch blocks and it was enough to bend his bumper. There was also lots of chain saw work to be done on the ice to free us. After about four hours we had it out and pulled it home. If it had been out there one more night it would have really froze in as the temp dropped to -15° Fahrenheit."

Edited by Sparky-Watts
Nope....still haven't got the GeoJeep stuck, but here's a pic of my son and his buddy after overheating near my "Cheney Lake NE" and "Old Man River" caches.  My Jeep was throwing rooster tails about 40 feet back, pretty much at windshield height, and Stephen was following too close to me...it packed his radiator with mud and he overheated.

<image>

Hey Sparkey! Didn't Barbie get her car back from you yet? :ph34r::lol:

Good to see ya. :lol:

Nope....gave it to a buddy of mine in New Mexico last month for Christmas:

P2250040.jpg

The proof is

in the pudding...or the reading.

Wow, lots of fourwheelers here! I haven't 'wheeled to any caches yet but I'll try a few this year. In the meantime, here's a pic from our Rubicon trip a few yrs ago. This is the exit out of the Little Sluice.

5day-36.jpg

My Jeep's a '91 YJ with SOA, D44 axles, Detroits and 4:1 tcase gears.

I don't have the stuck picture that I should've taken...my tcase skidplate was caught on a tree root while my Jeep was trying to crawl out of a 4 ft deep mud hole. I had water coming in OVER rear tailgate. It ended up killing the transmission a few days later (it was only a matter of time after ingesting all that water and having to drive out of the bush).

As you might imagine, I prefer rock crawling to mud bogging.

As for caching, I think I'll place one on a really out-of-the-way trail and stock it with some nice prizes (no McD's toys!).

GeoBC

Edited by geobc
trafficjam4.jpg

I swear we must have been stuck for a good hour... the tow truck about 7 cars back was just as stuck as we were.  Wenches, mud tires, and 4 wheel drive were of no use here...

...the story of many of our lives  :o

Oh, the evil brutal truth of it.

I've never been stuck in the mud or on a rock where I couldn't just lift my bicycle or feet out and carry on. But oh, have I been stuck like this far to many times.

Ok, here is my first real STUCK picture I can post of myself in my own thread.

e6423b69-9157-4b2b-8372-105599577594.jpg

Drove right into a snow drift. Here is an unedited, NOT behind glass, NO glare picture of what it was doing outside.

96f6d12b-1274-4323-9869-fd9544bf1ad3.jpg

I was going to Blast Off Cache just a mile from my house. This was my first of three snow caches of the day. I ended up opening the door, clearing show, and pushed myself out after 15 mins.

When I pulled up to park I did not see where the parking lot ended and sunk right down into the drift.

I found the cache :sad:

Hey, how'd you do that!?????? :sad:

Ve haf vays ... I copied the pic and dumped it onto my own server. :laughing:

Speaking of stuck, this is one of the guys from my off-road club ... he wasn't caching but I thought it was worth a post anyway!

104153.jpg

Really? You know this guy:

03_dec2.jpg

Just curious how you happened to be in a 4x4 club in British Columbia:

Here is the rest of the story:

Blaine Hoffman, from the Great White North of Lumby, BC, writes, "The first snowfall in the mountains near Lumby, BC, had me chomping at the bit to get into the mountains and try out my new lockers. Little did I know that in a brief moment of poor judgment my Jeep would be laying on its side at the bottom of a (thank God) shallow lake. We never did find snow deep enough to challenge the Jeep, but on the way back after driving over several small ponds which were frozen solid, and after watching a buddy crack a nut on the edge of the lake, I couldn't resist! The temptation to see how lockers would work took over ! After testing the edge where I knew it was shallow and the ice was solid, I gave it some gas in an attempt to spin the Jeep around so I was facing along the edge of the lake. Instead of spinning around, I drifted straight out thanks to the front locker. I stopped the Jeep and let my passenger out in a moment of terror as we heard the ice cracking. After my passenger was out and I tried making it back to shore - and the ice slowly broke through. I managed to climb out as my 4x4 sank only getting my feet wet! After I calmed down, we decided to leave it 'till morning and come back with reinforcements."

Blaine adds, "Then 'Part Two' in the Night From Hell was my ride home. We were going a little to fast down a steep road and we came to a sliding stop with one tire hanging over the bank. Two of us hopped out and tried in vain to hold the Jeep from going over as the driver tried to work three pedals at once. It went over for a slow roll.

The next morning we found a wrecker willing to come and rescue us. After rescuing the first Jeep, he failed to make it up the icy hill to my Jeep. Thankfully many friends came to the rescue; in particular a friend with a one-ton Ford and a 9,000 lb winch. It took a couple of snatch blocks and it was enough to bend his bumper. There was also lots of chain saw work to be done on the ice to free us. After about four hours we had it out and pulled it home. If it had been out there one more night it would have really froze in as the temp dropped to -15° Fahrenheit."

I didn't say I knew the guy ... I said he was in my club ... at least a guy in my club claimed to be the one who owned the Jeep in question. Since finding this picture in the worst stuck gallery of my club's message board, I have since heard that this was taken in Alaska, Colorado and now British Columbia.

Who the heck knows for sure. :sad:

Regardless, of where it is ... that Jeep is DEFINITELY stuck.

This happened long before Geocaching existed, but I thought the picture was worth posting.

The driver was a macho co-worker of mine who thought he knew everything, so he didn't check the often-dry ford at the Bill Williams River to see if he could go all the way across, even if this hadn't happened.

If he had, he would have seen it was impossible to get up an eroded river bank more than three-feet high.

We spent a long, cold night with no food or water, then hiked for hours the next day until we were rescued by some off-road motorcyclists out for a Saturday ride.

Finding a four-wheel-drive tow truck, with a driver willing to drive 75 miles to rescue this truck, was another adventure, as was the drive in and back out to this site from Parker, AZ.

Oh . . . I wasn't in the truck when he did this. I was crossing the river on the nearby gas pipeline for a little "adventure" since prior to this I had been bored . . . :D

BillWilliamsRiver2.jpg