Integration with other cache websites

Guest arffer

Guest arffer

Just noticed that a cache that I registered on Jeremy's site last Saturday is now also listed on Buxley's site. This is great, but I'm curious as to which cache related sites share information, and how its done.

Besides submitting the caches we hide to geocaching.com, do any of you also submit them anywhere else? Why or why not?

When I first started caching, I took a look at what sites that were out there, and it seemed that geocaching.com was several orders of magnitude more developed and populated, and I have therefore limited my activity to this site.

Guest celts

I use Buxley's only to check the overall pictures of the states with cache placements and number per state. Other than that, I see some of them link back to geocaching.com, but they don't have anything else to offer me that I'm not getting here. And forum-wise, well it's all I can manage to keep up with the threads on this site!!!!

Guest tnunnery

There are, in fact, other caches on Buxley's site that aren't listed here. In San Francisco, TechTV has a cache shown (it links back to a page on the TechTV site) but I was unable to find it listed here.

Guest EyezOfTheWorld

I also look at the maps at Buxley's site, think they're awesome and very very useful! Love 'em!

I clicked one cache in Key West and when it took me to another site. After checking i found it wasn't listed here. Not too many, though, are like that. Looks like Geocaching has the majority by a very large margin.

Guest arffer

I'd like to bring this back on focus:

1) Which sites automatically get updated from geocaching.com (and vs a vs), and how does it happen? For example, my cache I submitted to geocaching is also on Buxleys now.

2) For the sites, such as the mentioned navicache, that don't automatically cross post sites, what do the rest of you do? Do you post at multiple web sites, or just geocaching.com?

Guest Team JackQuest

I only list my caches at GEOCACHING.COM. I don't feel the need to use the other sites or maps. GEOCACHING.COM meets and exceeds everything I require to stay up on the game.

------------------

TEAM JackQuest

Jack & Cyber

www.jackquest.com

Base Camp N 40° 20.268' W 75° 37.969' (WGS84)

Guest arffer

Thankyou for the answer Jeremy. As I had mentioned, I was surprised, plesantly might I add, when someone mentioned they saw my recent cache posting on Buxley's site. As such, I wondered how it happened, and if geocaching.com was linked to any other sites.

Team JackQuest, I fully agree that geocaching.com meets and exceeds everything I require, and I'll even go further and say that the things Jeremy keeps proposing even feed the desires I have for this site. I wish I could do more to give back towards all the fun Jeremy has given me...

As a newbie cache hider, I just was wondering if I was supposed to list my cache any place else. Thanks for the answers.

Guest Eoghan

It might be helpful to clarify that the caches from geocaching.com aren't actually copied to "Buxley's site". "Buxley" is merely providing a graphical picture of cache locations and other listings which help to give an overview of cache locations. All of the "listings" are nothing more than links back to the site where the cache information was posted by the cache placer. I personally think this was a GREAT approach for Ed to take. He adds value to the information while assuring that the original content remains where those who placed it have control over it. I realize that Ed and Jeremy have had disagreements over this issue, but I think the two sites work hand in glove together despite this friction. Both guys have done a great job in presenting the cache information in slick extremely user friendly ways. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program....

Guest jbwcpa

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

Buxley takes the coordinates from my web site and plots his maps without my permission.

Jeremy

He then links back to geocaching.com for details about individual caches.

Guest Quinnow

I agree...Buxley in my opinion is not hurting anyone with his map links to each of the geocaching sites. I could se if the sites were profit sites and had something to protect, but as far as I know none of them are, Including mine. His maps are nothing more than a great addition to the sites. I could make my own maps and go from there, but it makes no sense at this time seeing as how he is doing a great job at it. The zipcode searches are nice, but for people visiting an area they know little of, the maps are the way to go. But this is not my site and I respect others opinions, but for caches that have been submitted on my site I never had a prob with them ending up on buxleys, as a matter of fact i look forward to it! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 08 August 2001).]

Guest Quinnow

I agree...Buxley in my opinion is not hurting anyone with his map links to each of the geocaching sites. I could se if the sites were profit sites and had something to protect, but as far as I know none of them are, Including mine. His maps are nothing more than a great addition to the sites. I could make my own maps and go from there, but it makes no sense at this time seeing as how he is doing a great job at it. The zipcode searches are nice, but for people visiting an area they know little of, the maps are the way to go. But this is not my site and I respect others opinions, but for caches that have been submitted on my site I never had a prob with them ending up on buxleys, as a matter of fact i look forward to it! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 08 August 2001).]