Geocache Search Wish List

Guest Boromir

Guest Boromir

I was just thinking of a few things that would be nice as far as searches and the format of the results. I saw another thread that touched on this, but thought a more general one might be better. Anyways, here is my wish list:

- Search for caches within a user specified distance from a user specified location.

- I would like to be able to get search results in a delimited text format so it would be easy to transfer the list of waypoints to the GPS.

I would find these useful specifically for the following:

- I would like to load lots of geocache locations so if I am on a trip and have some unexpected free time I can just check for the nearest waypoints on my GPS to see if there are any caches around. I realize I could do this online but one does not always have internet access.

- I would like to be able to bring up a list of geocaches near a specific location, rather than searching by only state/country. That allows limiting the results to only caches that are within a reasonable distance, rather than including those three hours away by car.

Guest bob_renner

You can presently search by zip code and by lat/long. Start at the main page and click on the "seek a cache" link on the left. Both of these searches give you results starting with the closest.

Bob

Guest leaper64

is there any plans to be able to search the site for "missing" or "inactive" stashes? if we had an option to check for missing stashes within our states, it would be easier to manage our waypoint lists. a feature like this would help me out, but i guess on the other hand, maybe it would promote geocache gangsters to plunder or remove stashes in order to get them on the missing list. what do you think?

Guest Boromir

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

You can presently search by zip code and by lat/long. Start at the main page and click on the "seek a cache" link on the left. Both of these searches give you results starting with the closest.

Bob

Yes, but I would like to be able to specify a radius from the location, or the closest N waypoints (no matter how far away they are). The current search seems to use a fixed radius (or something) when finding waypoints using a location. In most cases it serves the purpose, but it would be nice to have a little more flexibility in the search. Unfortunately zip code does not help for searching ouside the US.