How do you rate difficulty?

Guest RXQ

I brought this question up in another forum, but how do you rate difficulty when describing your cache. I understand how you rate terrain, but what criteria do you use for difficulty. Is it how far you have to walk off trail or how well the cache is hidden. For example if you have to climb a mountain for 2 hours but the cache is ten feet off the trail. IMHO The cache is easy to find but the terrain would be hard. What guideline do you uses?

Guest Quinnow

I believe that both Difficulty/Terrain can only be measured by the person placing or finding the cache. I have found by reading other posts and comments that what I would consider a tough cache to find, would well be considered easy to another, and vise-versa.

I think that if maybe we had a rating map that would show scoring for things such as rivers,waterfalls,valleys,marshlands and high rocks to just name a few, we could better rate things more consistantly.

So lets say I was to hide a cache in an area where I might have to cross a stream or maybe climb down some rocks, it would show that this would be considered 1/4 of a star from the final total.

Very tough system to sit and go over, and most likely not worth the trouble. I guess it just depends all in all what each person considers hard and what is easy.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

I was thinking more in line of using navigation skills as a way of deterimining "difficulty". Some cache use just need your gps to find the caches, others you need a gps and compass. The more difficult ones, you need a gps, map, and compass, where the cache is located "in the woods" and can be attack from any direction.

Is Quinn your first name or last?

Guest Quinnow

just pretty much eye balling what we think is hard and not hard. Quinn is my first name, George is my middle, stone is the last... I use both names but it depends on who and what I am talking about...but you can call me Quinn! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RXQ:

I was thinking more in line of using navigation skills as a way of deterimining "difficulty". Some cache use just need your gps to find the caches, others you need a gps and compass. The more difficult ones, you need a gps, map, and compass, where the cache is located "in the woods" and can be attack from any direction.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-30-2001).]

Guest Quinnow

just pretty much eye balling what we think is hard and not hard. Quinn is my first name, George is my middle, stone is the last... I use both names but it depends on who and what I am talking about...but you can call me Quinn! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RXQ:

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-30-2001).]