geocoins — keep or trade - a poll

I bought several of the Canadian geocoins because I thought they would make great tradeables, something people would really like to keep and treasure — and yet, people are NOT keeping them. They are moving them along, logging them on the geocoin site, all of which is really quite nice, but I thought folks would want to keep them! :-)

So, if you found one, would you keep it or trade it again.

Maybe the next ones should include a note that says "you can keep this!"

[ ]

Good question. I have been pondering this very subject myself. My instincts are to keep it, since I enjoy finding unusual and neat stuff in caches that I can keep. And when I first heard about the geocoins, I was hopeing to find some. But then I found out that they are meant to be tracked and that disappointed me somewhat. We already have the travel bugs that are meant to be tracked. So now, if I were to open a cache box and find a geocoin, it is very likely that I will leave it there for someone else to find and send on it's way. To me, a coin or medallion is a neat thing to have as a keepsake from my geocaching experiences.

I have a few of the Canadian GeoCoins. When I leave one in a Cache I try to maake it clear that the finder is free to keep it or move on. It would be nice if a keeper logged it though so I would know It's fate.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoes Girl:

I bought several of the Canadian geocoins because I thought they would make great tradeables, something people would really like to keep and treasure — and yet, people are NOT keeping them.

[ ]

Consider what happenned with the Sacagawea golden dollar. They are so abundant, you can buy them in rolls at most banks and get them as change in stamp machines at the post office. They were meant to circulate, they are worth no more than a dollar, and they contain no actual gold. But when people get one, rather than circulate it, they hang on to it thinking they have found something very rare. That is why you hardly see them as change, since people are not willing to part with them. There are millions of them available, hardly a rarity, but people still won't part with them. Be glad that your geocoins are travelling and circulating, rather than taking the route of the brass buck. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RedShoes Girl:

I bought several of the Canadian geocoins because I thought they would make great tradeables, something people would really like to keep and treasure — and yet, people are NOT keeping them.

[ ]

Consider what happenned with the Sacagawea golden dollar. They are so abundant, you can buy them in rolls at most banks and get them as change in stamp machines at the post office. They were meant to circulate, they are worth no more than a dollar, and they contain no actual gold. But when people get one, rather than circulate it, they hang on to it thinking they have found something very rare. That is why you hardly see them as change, since people are not willing to part with them. There are millions of them available, hardly a rarity, but people still won't part with them. Be glad that your geocoins are travelling and circulating, rather than taking the route of the brass buck. icon_smile.gif

These are beautifully crafted and professionally minted pieces. Whether kept as a memento of a memorable cache hunt or left as an irresistible cache trade item for a fellow cacher, a CA geocoin is the perfect treasure.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

These are beautifully crafted and professionally minted pieces. Whether kept as a memento of a memorable cache hunt or left as an irresistible cache trade item for a fellow cacher, a CA geocoin is the perfect treasure.

Mike

So they are saying to keep it if one wants to! That is why I bought them.

[ ]

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Jeff:

I found my first one last week and really wanted to keep it, but since it was numbered and traveling I sent it along.

Geo Jeff

(leave more than you take)

I think the numbers are so people can know what happened to them, whether they are kept or moved along. I still have several that are out there - one in a very easily accessible cache near Trona. Ok, it is a little warm out there, but hey, it is a very cool coin! Check out this site... or track geocoin numbers 094-098

[http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5474]

[ ]

quote:
Originally posted by murrcat:

We already have the travel bugs that are meant to be tracked.

For the record. Our GeoCoins are not, nor were they ever meant to compete with Groundspeak Travel Bugs.

Clearly a Travel Bug is meant to do exactly that... travel. A TB owner would likely be quite disappointed if their TB tagged item suddenly went MIA as a finder chose to keep it.

Speaking only for OUR GeoCoin product, they can be traded, kept and or tracked if the owner so wishes. It is up to the owner.

Speaking personally, as a geocoin owner and as my investment in geocoins is somewhat greater than all other coin owners combined, I prefer to see my coins traded.

Ironically, I just picked up a geocachetreasure.com geocoin at the "Highway Hitchhiker" cache in Manning Park, BC, this afternoon. It had a hole drilled in it and a Groundspeak Travel Bug tag attached. I always wanted to see one of these as the coin producer initiated actions to trademark the term "geocoin" as few months back.

As much as I want to keep it (for purely spiteful reasons).... alas, the Travel Bug tag mandates me to pass it on, which I will do at my first opportunity.

(They are quite nice BTW, almost as nice as our Canadian GeoCoins!)

12077_700.gif

web page

I found my first Canadian GeoCoin this evening. The only items I had to trade for it were worth about a buck (less than the value of the GeoCoin) I decided to take it but trade it at the next cache I visit (for something worth about a buck). I will keep the next one, if I have something of similar value to trade!

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

I was very fortunate to find one of the TxGeocoins the other day. Really made my day finding it and at first I debated on whether to keep it or not. They do have a serial number and are meant to be tracked, however its up to the finder whether they want to keep or trade. I think its great to have the option and not feel guilty for keeping if thats what you want to do.

Ive decided to place mine into my next cache as a first finder's prize. Thinking that the next Cacher will really be excited when they find it.

Dont think i wont be tempted to keep the next one i run across,,,,

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I decided to take it but trade it at the next cache I visit (for something worth about a buck). I will keep the next one, if I have something of similar value to trade!

A Buck? What makes you think a geocoin is worth only a dollar. Try $6.50 CDN (plus tax, shipping etc.)

Seneca, you may want to re-evaluate your personal equal trade guidelines before snatching up $10 worth of cache goodies and only leaving a loonie.

Mr. Gigabyte,

I think Seneca understoond the high value of the GeoCoin - he was saying that when he left it the next time he would only take something that was worth a buck, since that is all he had with him when he picked it up - making the even value trade over two caches. Since he was just moving the coin along really.

>>The only items I had to trade for it were worth about a buck (less than the value of the GeoCoin) I decided to take it but trade it at the next cache I visit (for something worth about a buck)<<

[ ]

A local cacher around Seattle has started a set of coins called "seattle seeker's angel coins". They are hand engraved, and seattle seekers is keeping track of them on a personal website. I currently have 2 in my possession. One I plan to deposit into a cache, the other I will be giving to my mom (she collects angels).

[seneca is one of the most conscientious cachers I have come across locally. My comments were intended to be tongue-in-cheek, for him only.

OOOOOH~~~~, well you shoulda said so in the first place. I was defending the poor guy! :-) Says me who just bought 10 more - I think I'll include a note that says please keep if you like the coins.

[ ]

I bought 20 TXGeocoins the same day the web site was out. They are great! I am keeping my lowest number, gave 5 to my wife (she's from TX) and 3 to my dad (Geo Dee, in Dallas). Caching the rest. They may do with those as they wish. I am trying to leave 2 coins in the major area's I love to/have cached in.

I agree with the statement they are not a travel bug. If anyone finds a coin that I placed, you can keep it, cache it, sell it, melt it or leave it.

I left it behind, i must have not wanted it anymore icon_smile.gif

I bought 20 TXGeocoins the same day the web site was out. They are great! I am keeping my lowest number, gave 5 to my wife (she's from TX) and 3 to my dad (Geo Dee, in Dallas). Caching the rest. They may do with those as they wish. I am trying to leave 2 coins in the major area's I love to/have cached in.

I agree with the statement they are not a travel bug. If anyone finds a coin that I placed, you can keep it, cache it, sell it, melt it or leave it.

I left it behind, i must have not wanted it anymore icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

Seneca is one of the most conscientious cachers I have come across locally.

ACK!!!! I guess I've gotta buy some of his dadgum Geocoins now.

(btw RedShoes Girl - thanks for the defence!)

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)