Scientific American: Next-Generation GPS

DisQuoi

Sounds interesting. My dream GPSr would be one that can connect to the internet or that can receive information on caches that are nearby my location. So far, that has been the biggest downside to geocaching. The inability to do it on the fly without any preplanning or preparation. I have several times found myself with some freetime but no access to a computer. I wish I could just turn on my GPSr and have it tell me where the nearest caches are. I have several caches coords saved in my GPSr but I don't always have my caching pack with the cache pages and I'm not always close to caches that I've pre-loaded.

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not. - Stephen Wright

------------------------------------------------------------

Even before the III's fly the Block II-M's (balance of the stored II-R's modified ~12 ready to go) and the next generation before the next next generation III's the Block IIF's (originally 33 planned but all might not be built) will give a handheld GPS user less than 1.5m accuracy, but this comes at the price of a new receiver.

However current receivers will at least be backward compatible.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Lothar69:

My dream GPSr would be one that can connect to the internet or that can receive information on caches that are nearby my location. So far, that has been the biggest downside to geocaching. The inability to do it on the fly without any preplanning or preparation. I have several times found myself with some freetime but no access to a computer. I wish I could just turn on my GPSr and have it tell me where the nearest caches are. I have several caches coords saved in my GPSr but I don't always have my caching pack with the cache pages and I'm not always close to caches that I've pre-loaded.

Pocket queries and a PDA come close to what you want. You can also get a PDA based cellphone which will give you Internet service while on the go. The downside right now is that the GC.com searches don't work from at least one very common PDA browser. They used to, but not since they redesigned the search pages. I've addressed this twice in the geocaching.com forum but have yet to receive a response from TPTB.

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

The next generation of mobile phones will include GPS technology, partly in response to the US governments E911 requirements. All of the major wireless phone manufactureres are currently designing phones with location-based technologies and we will begin seeing them in the marketplace as soon as next year. The future is not too far away but, as usual, the Americas will lag behind Europe and Asia in adopting these new features and technologies.

Mobile phones already on the market have GPRS and/or WAP network connectivity and PDA capabilities. The higher end phones also have Symbian operating systems and large hi-rez colour screens which allow the loading of 3rd party applications such as full-featured web browsers, database and spreadsheet programs, etc. New Symbian apps are released every day.

I am currently able to use my phone (640x320 pixel screen) to access any web site and download any files or capture any screens to its memory card. I can connect my phone to my GPSr via each other's data cables, but I am unaware of any application software that will allow me to transfer the .loc waypoint files from my phone to the GPSr. I'm sure its just a matter of time before some Symbian developer discovers geocaching and writes an EasyGPS equivalent.

Gorak

As far as the actual GPS side of things is concerned the dream GPS really has not a thing to do with GPS (proper), but some third party developer that incorporates a GPS engine into something else.

GPS is GPS and as such as the system is concerned there it will stay.

I suppose it like things like marine chart plotters being called a GPS (which in reality is not entirely the case), but in effect it's just an application that uses feed from a GPS engine and that data feed doesn't have to necessarily be part of the chart plotter.

Really the next generation of GPS has not a lot to do with anything other than the system proper. It all gets back to the age old question of exactly what a GPS is?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif