Geocaching gear

Guest gstrong1

Guest gstrong1

How about some suggestions for a real good pair of boots for geocaching adventures.I'd really rather not rely on a salesman for his recommendations.The logical place to get the info is here where, like I, folks spend a lot of time trekking through woods & streams. icon_biggrin.gif Gimpy

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Exocet

pe 8852). They're lightweight, have decent grip, plenty of ankle support, etc. The only thing I don't like are the drain holes on the sides. Of course, that means when my feet do get wet, they dry faster. But the holes do allow some water to get in, on occasion.

If I'm in the snow, I wear my Columbia Icefield boots. These are big monsters and I don't think you can even find 'em anymore, even though I've only had them for a year or so. If you can find a pair, though, ...well, I like them. My feet don't get cold, nor do they get wet. And I never have to wear gaiters with 'em. icon_smile.gif

Guest tnunnery

I have always had good experience with Vasque boots. They have different levels (and costs) from lighter weight trekking all the way to full-on expedition boots. Several models have a waterproof or non-waterproof option (a Gore-Tex boot insert) which also impacts the cost quite a bit.

I also like boots by Hi-Tec. They are extremely lightweight and comfortable. The best advice is to decide on how heavy duty a boot you want to buy. Then, try a few on and your feet will tell you which one is right.

Guest cleenjeep

I agree with both posts above, and I use a pair of Asolo hikers. I got the stiffest ones I could find, and have been using them for three years, everywhere. I have had them re-soled with a vasque "skywalker" sole, and it is terrific. I didnt like the support of the vasque boots, but the asolos were perfect, and when they wore out, I sent them off to be resoled. I also use retread mud tires on my jeep though, cuz I am like that. I recycle dadgum near everything I can, ha ha ha.

Besides, why search for new boots when you love the old ones? They are like an old friend to me, their goretex is like a handshake, the perfect fit is like a helping hand doing chores, and they are super reliable. Look at me.. I am getting all mushy about my shoes.. ha ha ha ha ha..

Don't go for price, go for quality, I never looked back at a discount shoe store again. They are my only feet, and they are worth it.

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest jeremy

How about for flat feet? Mine are as flat as they come.

I have a pair of Timberland boots with Superfeet insoles. They're great for us arch-challenged folks since they give us a fake arch. Takes a short while to get used to.

I love Gore-tex.

Jeremy

Guest Chris Juricich

Well, the first lesson I learned on my very first hunt was that wearing shorts and teva sandals when trudging through grasses and sticky, prickly weeds wasn't the best idea.

I don't really have any hiking boots; just running shoes and dress shoes, as well as a couple of pairs of walking sandals.

After I take care of some paperwork today I'm going to drag my son up into the Berkeley Hills to seek out our second cache. I'm going to let him handle the device, though, so he can get a sense of the fun for himself.

Guest McIrish

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

Well, the first lesson I learned on my very first hunt was that wearing shorts and teva sandals when trudging through grasses and sticky, prickly weeds wasn't the best idea.

I don't really have any hiking boots; just running shoes and dress shoes, as well as a couple of pairs of walking sandals.

After I take care of some paperwork today I'm going to drag my son up into the Berkeley Hills to seek out our second cache. I'm going to let him handle the device, though, so he can get a sense of the fun for himself.

I have been hiking in shorts also Chris. The temp. here gets up in the 100's. My legs look like a six year old's who is learning how to ride a bike for the first time. My legs are scratched and bruised!! I am not going to stop hiking in shorts (I do wear hiking boots) but I am thinking of devising some sort of neoprene leg covering with velcro closures or something, that will protect my legs when I go off trail!!!

Guest Prime Suspect

UOTE>

I've also been pleased with my Vasque hiking boots. Bought them at my local REI, and the guy assisting me knew his stuff. You don't fit hiking boots the same way you might tennis or daily wear shoes. The store should have an incline available so you can determine how much your foot will slide towards the front of the shoe when walking down a steep grade. Too much, and your toes will hit, eventually causing pain.

The boots did have a small tab on the back (perhaps to assist in pulling them on) which constantly caught on my pant cuffs. I had a cobbler stich them down, which took care of the problem.

[This message has been edited by Prime Suspect (edited 10 July 2001).]

Guest CaptHawke

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I have been hiking in shorts also Chris. The temp. here gets up in the 100's. My legs look like a six year old's who is learning how to ride a bike for the first time. My legs are scratched and bruised!! I am not going to stop hiking in shorts (I do wear hiking boots) but I am thinking of devising some sort of neoprene leg covering with velcro closures or something, that will protect my legs when I go off trail!!!

Don't re-invent the wheel. What you are describing are orienteering gaitors. http://www.treklite.com/products/o-stuf/gaiters.htm Among their models are: "Thorngaiters by Treklite are for the slender leg, and are the ultimate in lower leg protection. The front is of a very dense tough fabric with a built-in plastic "half-way-'round" foam shinguard, and an elastic back. They weigh practically nothing, but how they protect!"

How about orienteering knee socks; stretch sox, with a smooth impregnated plastic finish on the front for protection. http://AEOrienteering.com/gaiters.html

Check out the orienteering shoes, too. http://AEOrienteering.com/shoes.html

[This message has been edited by CaptHawke (edited 10 July 2001).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

No mountains near here on the coast, but plenty of marshes and swamps. I also crawl around jetties and walk beaches. I love my LL Bean Duck Boots, I have the 10" model.

Guest rusty

Hiked 15 miles last weekend over rocks and swamp in a pair of Tevas and khaki shorts. If it's dry out I wear my Doc Martens. If it's cool, or more off trail, I have a pair of New Balance hiking boots that are really comfortable and give more ankle support.

Rusty...