AMD Treasure Hunt Game!

Team Shuey

I own a few stocks from AMD, and I had a news alert come to me this morning that they are having a global treasure hunt game. Ithought everyone would be interested!

Here is the link: AMD Treasure Hunt

P.S. DON'T FORGET TO WEAR YOUR CAMELBAKS! icon_biggrin.gif

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Favorite Quote: What should you do if you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

Not exactly a geocache if you don't have to go there, is it?

Quite true - they are literally, taking the term "virtual" to its furthest extent, as these are just URL's to find.

This was in their press release:

quote:
Geocaching has become a growing trend among technology enthusiasts. According to www.geocaching.com, geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for global positioning system (GPS) users and can now be found in more than 180 countries. AMD’s virtual geocache contest allows participants to answer questions virtually about various landmarks.

I signed up. Didn't bother at all with the GPS coordinates listed on the questions. Didn't know a thing about what they were talking about, either, I just guessed at all the answers and blew through the questions in 4 minutes. Got 31 of 64 correct, so I have 31 entries to win the Grand Prize. Not too bad at all.

quote:

Well, that's not exactly true.

I don't HAVE to go to any sites listed on Geocaching.com, that doesn't mean that just because I don't have to go there those sites aren't "geocaches."

icon_wink.gif

Those aren't "geocaches" (by your definition) for another reason.

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

Took most of the afternoon (I have to work too you know!!) but I got 56 of the 64 correct.

Just enter terms into google and you will get most of them. Alot of the answers are available within AMDs web pages. Use google to do your digging.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:

I don't __HAVE__ to go to any sites listed on Geocaching.com, that doesn't mean that just because I don't have to go there those sites aren't "geocaches."

You must be daft. Answering questions on a web page doesn't make it a geocache. The whole point is leaving your desktop icon_rolleyes.gif

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

Hmm, I was distracted by the mentioning of "64" all over the place. I have been waiting for the makers to leap to 64-bit processing. I thought I would have at least heard about it before now....

What's the rush to 64 bit? There are virtually no applications for the home user that need (or can even use) a 64-bit system.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
What's the rush to 64 bit? There are virtually no applications for the home user that need (or can even use) a 64-bit system.

Believe me, there will be.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:

I don't __HAVE__ to go to any sites listed on Geocaching.com, that doesn't mean that just because I don't have to go there those sites aren't "geocaches."

You must be daft. Answering questions on a web page doesn't make it a geocache. The whole point is leaving your desktop icon_rolleyes.gif

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

ALERT! ALERT! Flame war! Flame War!!

If we really wanted to get picky I guess we could say a virtual is hardly a CACHE in the strict sense of the word either.

But Jeremy has a point. The spirit of geocaching.com has been the get off your butt hide and seek principle.

On the other hand, anything that brings further attention to, and acceptance of GeoCaching in general can't be bad either.

If someone else wants to run their searching from the comfort of a PC, well, let them. Those who won't leave their seats will never do it for other reasons either.

Those of us who will... well we can be found tramping round the most obscure places, sometimes at the most ungodly hours, and, since we are having the fun, it matters not what others think or do.

quote:

I may indeed be daft. You, however, missed the point of my post. So that must make you ... I don't know... woefully ignorant?

Sorry. I can't think of an equally expressive put-down.

Anyhoo, your criterion for one of the AMD listed sites being a "geocache" was that you would "have to go there."

My point was, in an ironical sort of way (see the winky guy), that when I set up a "geocache," meaning a ammo box in the woods, its still a geocache in the purest sense of the word whether or not anyone ever visits it.

No one HAS to go there. I could even choose to never list the coordinates anywhere. But, I think its still a geocache.

I was kidding around with my original reply, critiquing the way you said its not a geocache if you don't have to go there. I thought it was a weak argument.

Then, after insulting me, you switched your argument to "[a]nswering questions on a web page doesn't make it a geocache. The whole point is leaving your desktop."

I'd say that's a better argument.

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown