Our turn to whine - why so many caches in poison {oak,ivy}?

We are very new to Geocaching - we have found only 9 caches so far. We love this activity! But, we gotta tell ya', that more than one of them required either going very near poison oak, or the cache was immediately surrounded by it. We decided to try one tonight after work - but when we saw it was in a streambed filled with - you guessed it - poison oak - our attitude was "Okay - one more cache hunt searching for a container in the following 20' diameter area of poison oak? Naah.. don't think so". We've been there before, and we are tired of covering ourselves in Technu.

We don't mind walking to our caches, going up hill, etc., having challenges - both mental and physical - but after a while, having the cache hunt's main challenge being avoiding the poison oak gets, well, tiresome.

What do others think?

Signed,

Fran and Joel - searching for caches with challenges other than avoiding irritating plants!

Yeah, It can be quite annoying. I just wear long pants, and wash them right away and it dosen't seem to be a problem. People really should put something in the cache description about that though. It's good to read the logs because sometimes someone will include something about that. Keep on caching!!!

jhwf4

Well, I'm recovering from a bout with some sort of "poison" plant.

I wish I knew better what the stuff looked like, but when I'm a-huntin', I just go off through the woods like a maniac.

I found the cache. It was worth it.

Sometimes, itchy plants can't be avoided.

Jamie

I picked up poison oak in CA. My own fault though I pretty much ignored it because I've been around poison ivy a lot and never got it. Well I've had it for a month and I'm regretting it now.

In the cache placers defense, I hear that stuff grows like crazy out there. So it probably wasn't there when the cache was placed.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

... My last cache I ended up almost drowning in a swamp I was so desperate to find it I was walkign through a swamp and fell where the water was up to my head.

jhwf4

It's good to have a "supportive" dad; it's just a shame he didn't get a photo of you stuck in the swamp. icon_wink.gif

On the serious side, I bought an inexpensive set of chest waders at K-mart for $39 and keep them in the car for actual swamp caches we have out here. They have built-in boots and are holding up very well.

quote:
Originally posted by jhwf4:

... My last cache I ended up almost drowning in a swamp I was so desperate to find it I was walkign through a swamp and fell where the water was up to my head.

jhwf4

It's good to have a "supportive" dad; it's just a shame he didn't get a photo of you stuck in the swamp. icon_wink.gif

On the serious side, I bought an inexpensive set of chest waders at K-mart for $39 and keep them in the car for actual swamp caches we have out here. They have built-in boots and are holding up very well.

In many cases, they were probably placed in the winter, when the presence of the plants wasn't evident.

Also, I was caching in the Sacramento area recently and from what I saw out there, if you didn't place a cache near poison oak, you didn't place a cache. The stuff is everywhere! I'm home nearly two weeks now and I'm still using the Benadryl cream.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

--------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

Waders are a good idea, but make sure you wear a belt or rope snugly tied around your waist. Otherwise if you go in over your head, they fill with water and become anchors. The belt also helps keep in air, so if you do go in too deep, the waders help keep you afloat.

As far as the poison ivy/oak issue, waders would certainly be a help here. You may get funny looks from bystanders though

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

My cache Tuffy's home was placed in the winter then along came spring and guess what Poison Ivy was growing all around one of the approaches to the cache.

I didn't know it in March. I posted a note and warning on the page but my cache is obtainable without touching the stuff.

For azog, here is a good link about poison plants that I got off another discussion thread.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/faq.html

I have no idea what poison ivy or poison oak looks like - so I never know if I place my cache near it, nor do I know if I tramp through it when looking for others.

I just kinda use common sense and wear long pants, and use soap and water to wash any exposed parts when I get home. Not because I'm that worried about it - it has just become a habit.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

If I could find a consensus on what Poison Ivy ( or Oak) actually looks like, maybe I'd pay more attention before I start bushwhacking. But I gotta admit that I can't distingush if from all the other three leaf plants out there. So I pretty much don't worry about it at all anymore. icon_wink.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

If I could find a consensus on what Poison Ivy ( or Oak) actually looks like, maybe I'd pay more attention before I start bushwhacking. But I gotta admit that I can't distingush if from all the other three leaf plants out there. So I pretty much don't worry about it at all anymore. icon_wink.gif

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by civilwarranger:

Leaves of five....let it thrive.

Leaves of three...let it be.

Thanks!

There's more to that limeric:

Leaf of one, now you're done!

Leaves of two, you foot turns blue.

Leaves of three...let it be.

Leaves of four, eat some more!

Leaves of five....let it thrive.

Leaves of six, makes us sicks.

Leaves of seven, you'll be in heaven.

Leaves of eight, don't be late.

Leaves of nine, make some wine.

Leaves of ten, you start again.

Leaves of eleven, icth nacht blevin.

Leaves of twelve, put on the shelve.

Leaves of thirteen, you ear turns green.

Leaves of fourteen, there is no such thing!

Rule number 2 - there is NO... Rule number 2!

Leaves of eleventy-six, you're on the wrong planet - jerk!

--majicman

Well, so I just got back from a newly placed cache, and the cache page clearly states that there is lots of poison something in the area. I still don't know what to look for (thanks for the link), so I ended up tromping around in the woods. I showered when I got home, as I usually do. But now I wonder if I'll go psycosomatic and suddenly develop a case of it?

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

Well, so I just got back from a newly placed cache, and the cache page clearly states that there is lots of poison something in the area. I still don't know what to look for (thanks for the link), so I ended up tromping around in the woods. I showered when I got home, as I usually do. But now I wonder if I'll go psycosomatic and suddenly develop a case of it?

Has your ear turned green?

--majicman

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Well, I'm recovering from a bout with some sort of "poison" plant.

I wish I knew better what the stuff looked like, but when I'm a-huntin', I just go off through the woods like a maniac.

Dude! remember all that groundcover at Herb Parsons? 95% of it is Poison Ivy.

My general rule is to stay away from it if it has an odd number of leaves.

- "This river don’t go to Aintry. You done taken a wrong turn." -

Hi BitBrain!

I just looked at the website describing and picturing Poison Ivy. No wonder it's hard to ID, as it morphs it appearance through the seasons.

I understand from a work friend, that his goats luv the stuff. If we were to let a dozen or so roam freely out at Herb Parson's Lake for a month, there'd be nothing left after a season! icon_biggrin.gif

I can proudly attest that there is NO poison ivy/oak/sumac around my Armageddon cache!

Hi BitBrain!

I just looked at the website describing and picturing Poison Ivy. No wonder it's hard to ID, as it morphs it appearance through the seasons.

I understand from a work friend, that his goats luv the stuff. If we were to let a dozen or so roam freely out at Herb Parson's Lake for a month, there'd be nothing left after a season! icon_biggrin.gif

I can proudly attest that there is NO poison ivy/oak/sumac around my Armageddon cache!

When I was a kid I got the green stuff itch really bad! Rushed to the hospital, had to take medicine, like I said...BAD! I never forgot it either and as a result I stayed clear of it and kept my kids away from it.

When I started caching I took a little risk and survived without an itch. Next time we waded a little further and all was well. Now we're nearly swimming seas of it getting to the cache and without incident!

We do take precautions: long pants, hiking boots, long sleeves (if needed) and wash well when out of the thicket.

But we are doing it and having a great time!

I've learned that we don't catch the stuff just by walking past it. I got to lay down in waller in it like I did as a youngster....NOT!

Everyone is alergic to it. Some more than others.

icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

When I was a kid I got the green stuff itch really bad! Rushed to the hospital, had to take medicine, like I said...BAD! I never forgot it either and as a result I stayed clear of it and kept my kids away from it.

When I started caching I took a little risk and survived without an itch. Next time we waded a little further and all was well. Now we're nearly swimming seas of it getting to the cache and without incident!

We do take precautions: long pants, hiking boots, long sleeves (if needed) and wash well when out of the thicket.

But we are doing it and having a great time!

I've learned that we don't catch the stuff just by walking past it. I got to lay down in waller in it like I did as a youngster....NOT!

Everyone is alergic to it. Some more than others.

icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

If I followed that logic I'd never leave the house.

quote:
I understand from a work friend, that his goats luv the stuff.

See, now that explains it. My wife is always calling me an old goat.

icon_biggrin.gif

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

If I followed that logic I'd never leave the house.

quote:
I understand from a work friend, that his goats luv the stuff.

See, now that explains it. My wife is always calling me an old goat.

icon_biggrin.gif

unclerojelio

I used to say I was immune to it but found out I wasn't. icon_frown.gif Fortunately I still don't get it too bad but since I've taken up geocaching, I usually have one or two spots with it at all times. I figure it's just one of the many things to watch out for and in some cases, just live with. I'm scouting new cache hiding places right now and found one that is just perfect. It has tons of poison ivy and I'll make a note of it on the cache page but the location is really neat and I'm not going to rule it out just because of the annoying weeds. I won't place it directly in the poison ivy, but the stuff will be around.

As far as treating it once you've got it, we really like CalaGel. I also use alcohol wipes when that's all I have available. Both will dry it up and help with the itching.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

I used to say I was immune to it but found out I wasn't. icon_frown.gif Fortunately I still don't get it too bad but since I've taken up geocaching, I usually have one or two spots with it at all times. I figure it's just one of the many things to watch out for and in some cases, just live with. I'm scouting new cache hiding places right now and found one that is just perfect. It has tons of poison ivy and I'll make a note of it on the cache page but the location is really neat and I'm not going to rule it out just because of the annoying weeds. I won't place it directly in the poison ivy, but the stuff will be around.

As far as treating it once you've got it, we really like CalaGel. I also use alcohol wipes when that's all I have available. Both will dry it up and help with the itching.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

At least where we come from (San Diego), all the caches are in a sea of poison oak because the stuff is growing absolutely everywhere. The only uninfested cache area I can think of would be on the sidewalk.

We've been wading through the plant life for a bit over a month now, and haven't come down with a rash yet, simply by showering and washing our clothes when we get home. I don't know if we're unusually resistant to the stuff, or lucky, or what, but even when we only clean off hours later nothing happens (and yeah, I'm sure it's really poison oak we're walking through). Occasionally one or the other of us gets one or two little bumps that itch for a couple of hours. That's it. Though if we get too cocky about it, I'm sure the oak will have its revenge.

quote:
Originally posted by Joel and Fran:

We don't mind walking to our caches, going up hill, etc., having challenges - both mental and physical - but after a while, having the cache hunt's main challenge being avoiding the poison oak gets, well, tiresome.

What do others think?

Signed,

Fran and Joel - searching for caches with challenges other than avoiding irritating plants!

As was said before, it grows and may not have been there when initially the cache was stashed. What I don't like is blackberry brambles. They just hurt! PO doesn't seem to bother me. (knock knock)

If you're going to spend any time outdoors, you really need to figure out what it looks like. I could never make the connections from drawings in books. I had to be taken out into the woods and shown it in its various forms. Now it jumps out at me. My kids can spot it quickly and easily too.

I'm waiting for some evil cacher to cross bread poison oak and black berry bushes. Poison oak with thorns.... ouch.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I have no idea what poison ivy or poison oak looks like - so I never know if I place my cache near it, nor do I know if I tramp through it when looking for others.

I just kinda use common sense and wear long pants, and use soap and water to wash any exposed parts when I get home. Not because I'm that worried about it - it has just become a habit.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Go find the No Trees Passing cache in the north part of Columbus, OH. Look for all the three-leaved shrubs that completely surround the cache. That, Rubbertoe, is poison ivy!

25021_1200.gif

You are going out into the elements of mother nature. She likes geocaches. They are a poison everything magnet, oak, ivy, sumac, snakes, spiders, I have run across all of them. Its a fact of life in this sport. icon_rolleyes.gif Stick to the inner city caches in parks and safe places if you have no immunity or are not willing to take the risk. Its part of the game and comes with the territory. I can sympathise with you though, my dad and daughter just think of poison ivy and need a shot to get rid of it. I have seen what it can do. Maybe you need to find a hunting partner that is not effected by poision plants that can make the actual retrivals when the danger is present. Its a problem you will have to figure out an answer for that is best for you. icon_wink.gif

Sabaharr

You are going out into the elements of mother nature. She likes geocaches. They are a poison everything magnet, oak, ivy, sumac, snakes, spiders, I have run across all of them. Its a fact of life in this sport. icon_rolleyes.gif Stick to the inner city caches in parks and safe places if you have no immunity or are not willing to take the risk. Its part of the game and comes with the territory. I can sympathise with you though, my dad and daughter just think of poison ivy and need a shot to get rid of it. I have seen what it can do. Maybe you need to find a hunting partner that is not effected by poision plants that can make the actual retrivals when the danger is present. Its a problem you will have to figure out an answer for that is best for you. icon_wink.gif

Sabaharr

I once called the doctor on a Wednesday to ask about a rash I was developing. She asked if I'd been in the woods, then laughed because apparently there is a doctor's inside joke that most rash calls on Wednesdays following a trip to the park are poison ivy -- at least in our area.

I've hidden a cache on an island full of poison ivy, but didn't know it cuz we hid it in February when everything was hibernating for the winter. Most people hunting that cache now find the cache, then take a dip in the water around the island. I think that works well if you get in the water within about five minutes. I read that somewhere.

"Fran, honey, I'm sorry - I have to leave you. I'm sorry - I need to get a caching partner who doesn't share our allergy to poison oak!" [icon_biggrin.gif]

"I understand, Joel, in fact, I have been noticing that guy over there with the GPS V - all you have is that little etrex"

quote:
Originally posted by Sabaharr:

Sabaharr

"Fran, honey, I'm sorry - I have to leave you. I'm sorry - I need to get a caching partner who doesn't share our allergy to poison oak!" [:smile:]

"I understand, Joel, in fact, I have been noticing that guy over there with the GPS V - all you have is that little etrex"

quote:
Originally posted by Sabaharr:

Sabaharr