Archived Cache

tina1

Hello-

We just were informed that our Fontuna Mawn and Ficus Mawn (Bahamas) caches will not be posted because we placed them while we were on vacation. There is a travel bug in Fontuna Mawn that needs to make it back to Oregon. I would like to protest this because this is the first caches that we have ever placed and now that travel bug will not make it back to its destination. If the majority of people believe that it should be posted, it might. Please help! Thanks, Tina and Mark

Why did you place a cache that you never planned on returning to and have no means of maintaining?

Plainly stated on the Hide a cache page:

Placing caches on vacation is unacceptable and these caches will not be approved on the web site. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. Please be responsible.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 16, 2003 at 03:44 PM.]

If you know someone in the area, or are able to enlist a local geocacher to maintain, or adopt your cache, then you could probably get your cache approved. If you don't know someone there, perhaps you can post to the regional discussion board and ask for someone to step forward and help you out.

You ask "what is there to maintain?" Well the answer is your cache. You need to be able to respond to problems. Log book full? You have to replace it. Container leaking and contents soaked. It's your job to address it. You need to periodically assess the impact on the surrounding area. And at the end of the cache's lifetime, it's your job to remove the cache.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

You probably won't get much support for the approval of your caches. However, you might try posting to the relevant forum group for the Bahamas (?) how to find the cache so that someone can retrieve the TB. Also, if you can determine from any of the caches there (if there are any?) that there are some local cachers you could send them email and ask them to move the TB to an active cache.

EDIT: I saw Brian's first post and started typing....

Just some ideas..

As far as learning about maintenance of cache, place one close to home and you'll soon learn.

Ok I apologize for the tone of my first post. There is no discussion board for the Carribean, so try this. Do a cache search, plugging in then coordinates of the cache you placed (It's under "advanced search"). Get a list of caches placed nearby (hopefully there will be some) and contact the owners and any finders to see if you can get one of them to either adopt, or retreive your cache and TB.

The solution to your problem is to get a local geocacher to post the caches. They won't be yours but it will get your TB in circulation.

Vacation caches have been added to the list of things you can't do.

(In other words what the Snat said...)

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on April 16, 2003 at 09:40 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by tina1:

maintaining a cache - what is there to maintain? we are relatively new to geocaching and didn't know about ALL the rules. come on brian!

Well if you look right above the "fill out our online form" link you would have been aware of the requirements before submitting you cache.

quote:
Please make sure to obtain permission from the landowner or land manager and read the guidelines for reporting a cache prior to placing your geocache.

I would agree that finding a local cacher to assist you with this problem is about your only hope. If not you may want to plan another trip.

Just remember. Getting there is half the fun...